Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

I have to wait until next winter for my order from Bierkreek, as they have sold out of Annie Laurie McDowell, Grandmother's Hat and Oklahoma.
Looking on their website, I see that they also have Marie Pavie. I know nothing about this rose, except that she is small.
Is she strongly perfumed?
Does she flower continuously?
Can she take all day strong sunshine?
Does she have any other qualities?
Please tell.
Thanks.
Daisy

Comments (26)

• jeannie2009
    11 years ago

Good morning
    Daisy.
    I planted Marie Pavie 3 years ago. And glad I did. She is what I would call a feminine delicate looking rose. Ah looks could be deceiving, and in her case are.
    No fungal disease, vigorous growth habit and a delicate almost muskie smell. Her stems are quite smooth and new growth has the plum shading which we love so much.
    I hesitated to reply since our climates are discimilar. I would think that in your heat she would color fade which would be a shame.
    While we have wet winters, our summers are extremely dry and the skies quite clear.
    I wonder if you have considered Leonie Lamesh. This is another Poly which I adore. Her coloring is richer which might not fade as much in your climate. No personal experience as she is on order this spring. A dear friend considers her a must have. She lives in Arizona which has a climate quite similar to yours.
    No matter what you choose she'll be lovely. I've seen pics of your roses and they are luxurious.
    Take care,
    Jeannie

• jeannie2009
    11 years ago

Hi Daisy
    It's me again. Jut one or two posts below is a post from John with a link to Rogue Nursery. I have ordered from this nursery and their roses are wonderful. There shipping tecniques are terrific.
    You might wish to check them out for the other roses that you were unable to locate from your usual vendor.
    Bye
    Jeannie

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    11 years ago

yes, yes, don't know, endures terrible drought and full shade and still blooms(!). Dainty as can be, so sweet!

• onederw
    11 years ago

Daisy, after all those extolling Marie Pavie's virtues, I fear it falls to me to point out what was to me a significant vice.
    Those plentiful blooms never ever fall off, even long after they've turned brown. It's like they're glued on. Unless I deadheaded religiously, the otherwise handsome plant looked like a messy mix of pretty pale blossoms and papery brown persistent leftovers. I freely admit that this might be an issue for me but not for others, but better you should have full information. That aside, it's a great rose, and a lot tougher than you might suspect, given how delicate it looks.

Kay

• organicgardendreams
    11 years ago

Hi Daisy, I am growing Marie Pavie in my garden in Southern California.

To my nose she is very fragrant and what is special is that her fragrance wafts, which hardly any other roses do here because of the low humidity. She flowers continuously for me, but of course in the winter she is less floriferous than lets say in the spring. I am growing her in part shade, but I assume that she can take full sunshine. She is a completely healthy rose for me with lovely foliage and dainty blooms of great delicate beauty. In my eyes she has only one drawback and that is what Kay already said. She doesn't drop the flower petals when the blooms are done and need to be deadheaded. Otherwise I feel she can take on a "dirty look", which I don't like much.

There is one more thing. To my knowledge there are two slightly different roses out there under the name Marie Pavie. One has more petals than the other and shows the yellow stamens less. I have the more filled variety (ordered from Vintage Gardens) and decidedly prefer it over the one with less petals, but this is certainly a matter of personal taste. Overall I love and would recommend this rose!

If you want to see mine, I just posted a photo of her blooms on my blog. Just click on the link below and it will take you there.

Christina

Here is a link that might be useful: Photo Marie Pavie

• kittymoonbeam
    11 years ago

This is a new one for me. I ordered mine as a band last fall but woo it grows fast! Even on such a tiny thing, there were sprays of flowers. I have a great feeling about this rose.

• daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank-you all for such full information. Brilliant!
    It is interesting that Jeannie, in the PNW, speaks of her perfume as delicate. Whereas, Hoovb and Christina in California don't. In fact Christina tells me that she is very fragrant and her fragrance wafts. Lovely.
    Well, my climate is similar to California so hopefully she will be strongly scented here.
    Kay, I am glad you told me about her drawback. I prefer to know. She will be planted alongside a path, so dead heading shouldn't be too onerous.
    Jeannie, I looked on Rogue Valley's website, but they don't have Annie Laurie McDowell, which is the rose that I made up the order for.
    Christina, thank-you for those photos. I love your blog.
    Daisy

• Kippy
    11 years ago

I bought a couple of Marie Pavies for this season, one a band in December and the other a 1g at pruning demo plus a bunch of other bands. All are potted up to 1g's now. Out of the collection of babies in the green house, 3 are growing fast; the two Maries and Lady Ann Kidwell. I am really looking forward to seeing how they look next year!

• harborrose_pnw
    11 years ago

I love Marie Pavie. Mine bloom constantly too; I have three of the Vintage clone in a small hedge planting. I have grown both the Vintage and other clone and agree that the Vintage is the prettier - wish I could send you a rooted cutting, Daisy.

Christina, your photos are beautiful.

• lbuzzell
    11 years ago

We too have and love our Marie Pavie from a Vintage band. It's already in bloom! I agree with all the good comments. One that i don't think has been mentioned is that the petals can be dried and still retain their fragrance - great for pot pourri.

• noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)
    10 years ago

Late to the discussion, but my Marie Pavie was from Roses Unlimited, and was planted this year. Yes, the flowers are wonderfully fragrant, blooms continuously (buds are forming before the open flowers fade), and mine gets full blazing sun against a west facing wall in 100F without the flowers fading or burning. In my desert climate (or with this clone, I'm not sure), the flowers are blush pink and don't fade to white (which is disappointing since I wanted a white flower). They fade to a dirty looking grey which I am not fond of, but the qualities of the plant make up for it and for most of the life of the flower they are pink. they last about 5 days in the vase. My plant drops most of the petals when the flowers fade, but it might be because we get intense winds. The plant is vigorous, yet compact. No disease even though it gets hit by sprinklers a few times a week. There aren't even aphids which attack my other plants. Overall a rewarding and delightful plant so far.

• michaelg
    10 years ago

Own root, Marie is susceptible to iron-deficiency chlorosis even in neutral soil if overwatered moderately, so provide either very good drainage or a pH The plant is bushy, graceful, and free-blooming, disease resistant in many locations, but somewhat susceptible to blackspot here.

Here is a link that might be useful: Marie Speaks

• lbuzzell
    10 years ago

Glad to be discussing Marie Pavie again. Great rose. My only complaint is that by mid-summer if she doesn't get a lot of water her leaves turn brown. Does this happen for anyone else? I have the Vintage clone.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

lbuzzell, on my plant the leaves also turn brown in my hotter than normal garden, even when it gets plenty of water. The flowers also fade very quickly, but Marie is next to a large concrete pad, which is not optimal.

Ingrid

• strawchicago z5
    10 years ago

HI Ibuzzell: I bought Marie Pavie from Burlington Roses last year. No browning whatsoever in last year drought at 104 degrees. Someone praised Marie Pavie for blooming lots even without fertilizer. So I don't put horse manure on Marie Pavie this year, and she blooms better.

I suspect she's salt-sensitive, and browning at edge of leaves is a typical symptom of potassium deficiency. I mulched her with high-potassium cocoa mulch, pH 5.6, zero salt, NPK 3-1-4, with all trace elements. I gave her sulfur plus gypsum (salt index of 8) early spring. Annie L. McDowell, a musk, also does well with the above approach (my soil pH is 7.7 heavy clay).

I haven't watered her this year. She's always perky, no browning nor wilting ... I have alkaline clay .. supposedly to be plenty of potassium, but my clay was tested deficient. Below is Marie Pavie's spring flush.

Here is a link that might be useful: Picture of potassium deficiency

This post was edited by Strawberryhill on Fri, Aug 9, 13 at 23:25

• lbuzzell
    10 years ago

Thanks Ingrid and Strawberryhill - good info! Gorgeous picture - that's what ours looks like in spring as well. Really lovely and I love that the petals retain their fragrance even when dried. Strawberryhill, is your MP on its own roots or budded?

• strawchicago z5
    10 years ago

Hi Ibuzzell: My Marie Pavie is own-root bought as a $10.95 band from Burlington Roses, CA. I'm paranoid that it doesn't like my tap water pH of 8, so I never water it. When I planted it last year, I put the entire root ball 3 inches below my heavy clay for zone 5a survival.

Below is Marie Pavie taken today, August 10, after dry weeks of temp. at 85's.

• Sue_Sue
    9 years ago

Hello. I'm a beginner-newbie-baby in the world of roses. I purchased my first rose (a 1-gal Marie Pavee) this spring and have it potted on my covered patio. The patio is east-facing so it gets morning sun and of course temps in South Texas this time of year are pretty much always near 100 degrees. Not knowing any better, I've been watering all of my plants quite often thinking I'm helping them to deal with heat stress. And everything seems to be doing well except the Marie Pavee... It seems to be in a perpetual decline of leaves turning brown and dying, branches dying off and very few blooms. I would dearly love to save this beauty and would appreciate any advise or suggestions. Thank you all!

• Sue_Sue
    9 years ago

Hello. I'm a beginner-newbie-baby in the world of roses. I purchased my first rose (a 1-gal Marie Pavee) this spring and have it potted on my covered patio. The patio is east-facing so it gets morning sun and of course temps in South Texas this time of year are pretty much always near 100 degrees. Not knowing any better, I've been watering all of my plants quite often thinking I'm helping them to deal with heat stress. And everything seems to be doing well except the Marie Pavee... It seems to be in a perpetual decline of leaves turning brown and dying, branches dying off and very few blooms. I would dearly love to save this beauty and would appreciate any advise or suggestions. Thank you all!

• cath41
    9 years ago

Others on this forum are better equipped to answer your question who grow in climates like yours and who have grown her but from what I have read polyanthas, which is what Marie Pavie is, do not like alkaline conditions and your water is most likely alkaline.

Cath

• patricianat
    9 years ago

She does not like Roundup. At 4-feet tall x about 4-feet wide, my husband inadvertently sprayed mine with Roundup. They came back last year after about 4-5 years. They are now about a foot tall. Of all the roses I lost, I saved my Marie's. Those darn Knockout, I think could survive a nuclear holocaust. Of approximately 400, I saved about 50 roses out of that "fertilizer" event. It should be against the law to sell Roundup to anyone who does not swear allegiance to and a willingness to die for roses.

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    9 years ago

Onederw, thank you for mentioning the drawback. I used to have about 5 Maries on a bed in front of my patio. If I did not take off spent blooms constantly, they did not look good. That can be a big factor when selecting a proper placement for a rose.

Sammy

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

How large can Marie get?

• luxrosa
    9 years ago

We have a 9-10 month growing and blooming period where I live near San Francisco California and my neighbors' Marie Pavie has never been pruned, and is now a graceful small bush of just under 4 feet tall by c. 3 and1/2 feet wide. It's a lovely rose and one of the most disease free rosebushes in our no spray gardens, it has a lovely delicate type of fragrance which, I would call more than moderate when smelling one bloom and when standing near the bush, the fragrance pervades the air as if a scented halo were placed around this charming rosebush.
    Instead of deadheading Polyantha's 'Marie Pavie, Perle d'Or' and Mlle. Cecille Brunner' which re-bloom rapidly here, whether dead headed or not, I just knock the flowering stem with the side of my pruners, to knock the brown petals off,
    I whack the flowering stems of my bigger rosebushes including the lovely Hybrid Musk; 'Bubble Bath" with my cane, as it's much easier to do than looking to where I last left my pruners.

Luxrosa

I've only seen the fake Marie Pavie' sold in one rose nursery... and I unknowingly bought it from Regans in Ca. The fake one is the plainest Florabunda I've ever laid eyes on with little scent and ho-hum foliage, In my opinion it is such a plain rose I would not think it would make it into commerce, under its' own name. I destroyed my plant so no one could propagate from it. Now I have the true cultivar which I bought from Gregg at the Old Rose Celebration c. 3 years ago. What a blessing, getting the true Marie Pavie rose, which has SUCH pretty dark green leaves, seeing Gregg, and being at the Old Rose Celebration.

L.

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

What does that mean, the fake Marie Pavie? How do you know you aren't getting the real MP? I plan on purchasing mine from Chamblees.