Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
About Young Lycidas

Posted by jumbojimmy (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 17, 14 at 4:28

Am I the only one who have a Young Lycidas rose that does not look anything like David Austin's promo pics?

I've been growing this rose for two years. Instead of getting purplish cupped blooms, my Young Lycidas flowers always look pinkish red (carmine) and are irregular formed. By irregular, I mean I don't get those perfect rosettee shape when the buds open out. In other words, the blooms look imperfect and horrible.

What could be the caused for this? Thnx

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: About Young Lycidas

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 17, 14 at 14:10

My flowers improved greatly in year 3. They were pretty bad at first.

Also, plenty of water & fertilizer required for this one, I think.

o

My Young Lycidas, which I've had about a year, did have purplish and cupped blooms from the beginning, although fuchsia might be a better way to describe the color. Other than that it's been quite a disappointment, especially for a bare-root from Austin that should be fairly sturdy to begin with compared to a band. It's just sitting there, almost leafless, rather moribund compared to the roses around it that are leafing out madly in this unseasonably warm winter. I'll fertilize it to see if that will help re hoovb's suggestion.

Ingrid

o

I really hope so. I water this rose everyday and feed it with both miracle grow and organic pellets every three weeks,

o

Mine's pretty disappointing so far as well (two years in ground) and I'm in a similar climate (Adelaide) to you.

I'm going to give it one more season and hopefully it will come good in Year 3, otherwise it's out.

o

I am extremely happy with mine. It has been busy forming buds now. Mine is very large, in his 3rd year, much bigger than Teasing Georgia! I pruned him hard last spring, but only a moderate clearing here and there this January. So YL is rather husky!

I think I'll follow everyone's example too, and feed him come this weekend.

o

I want to feed all of my roses too, but I worry about adding too much growth in a drought.

Thankfully YL gets a lot of used water and got to a nice mound about 4x4 last season

o

Duplicate

This post was edited by Kippy-the-Hippy on Thu, Feb 20, 14 at 10:58

o

I find Young Lycidas to be a beautiful rose. I love everything about it:
color, form, & fragrance

o

Mine is healthy. The only problem is the buds don't open out beautifully. The blooms look irregular most of the time.

o

I guess soil ph is a factor as well as sunlight is a factor. If your plant is healthy and you water and feed it well--my (uneducated) guesses are soil ph may account for the coloration difference, and sunlight and temperature may be the cause for the bud/ bloom distortion. YL loves sun and heat.

o

What pH does roses prefer?

o

Roses like soil between 6.4 to6.9, slightly acidic. If soil is too alkaline the color of the rose blooms may pale. But keep in mind that soil that is too acidic will cause some other problems for roses.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here