Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nikthegreek_gw

A rose for a dear friend who left last night

nikthegreek
10 years ago

Last night, my pal of 12 years, my golden Boubis left for wherever furry balls go. He had been with me since he was 2 months old and left while in my arms. I feel so very very sad today.

Please help me select a rose to plant for him. What colour would suit this handsome guy? Even for a golden he was extremely sensitive, quiet and kind.
Nik

Comments (24)

• mzstitch
    10 years ago

I am so sorry for your loss. I too lost my Golden friend this fall, Emmitt, he was 15. My vet had made a pawprint stone from clay for me and I put it out in my rose garden. We recently got a new pup and one of his first projects was to dig it up and bring it in the house! Fortunately it was undamaged but now it will have to go back outside the fenceline when it can't be dug up again. Kind of bummed about that as I wanted it where Emmitt always played. Planting a rose to remember Boubis is a wonderful idea and I look forward to reading everyone's nominations. If I were to pick a rose for my Emmitt it would be something playful that perhaps spreads out in all directions getting in the way of things to remind me of how often I use to trip over him when he was a pup, lol.

• ogrose_tx
    10 years ago

Ah, nik, what a beautiful boy; my heartfelt condolences go out to you. You mention his kindness, which shows in his eyes. I don't have any specific ideas, but what about picking your favorite rose in his honor?
    ogrose

• ratdogheads z5b NH
    10 years ago

Nik, so sorry for your loss. I don't know what grows well in your climate, but looking at him, I imagine a very full soft yellow flower, gracefully cascading, fragrant. And you need a bench nearby beneath a bit of shade where you can sit and reminisce.

Hugs,
    Di

• lou_texas
    10 years ago

I'm very sorry for your loss. Lou

• rosefolly
    10 years ago

It is painful to lose a faithful companion. I hope you feel better in time.

When we lost our dog, we made a printed photobook of pictures of her life. The process was comforting and we enjoyed the result.

I'm thinking that if you plant a rose, and something ever happens to the rose, you might just feel bad all over again.

Rosefolly

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    10 years ago

So sorry for your loss. How I dread the day when my two girls are no longer with me. The first rose that comes to mind for me is Wollerton Old Hall, an Austin, as it rather looks like his color. However, you might want to consider an old garden rose that is tough and can survive for years. I raise horses, and with 2 of my dear old stallions that died who were half brothers, I had crosses put on their graves and made a huge flowerbed around them, complete with birdbath, a metal arch and 2 trellises. I have all kinds of roses and daylilies planted there, and it is one of my favorite places to garden. I find memories of my two old boys are so pleasant while I am gardening where they rest.

I read a poem once on the passing of a horse.....the last line said: don't mourn for the horses - love the ones who are here. I know there will be another dog who will need your love.
    Judith

• cath41
    10 years ago

Oh dear now I am just about in tears and have to go for my piano lesson. Perhaps you could plant a rose whose flower is about the color of his coat. I am sure that, with thought, you will come up with a better choice than we could possibly think of...you loved him and knew him best.

Cath

• bman1920
    10 years ago

Sorry for the loss of your friend. I do think the rose Buff Beauty would be the perfect memory in your garden.

• pat_bamaz7
    10 years ago

I, too, am so sorry for your loss. It is so hard when we have to say goodbye to an animal who has brought us such joy. My first thought of a rose was Quietness, since you mentioned quiet in your description of him. A very heat tolerant rose for one with such a peaceful and serene beauty. I believe it makes a good cut flower, so you could bring in bouquets for a beautiful memory indoors, as well.

• User
    10 years ago

Oh grief. It leaves a hole....a hollow achy hurt. A life well lived, though, is surely a thing to celebrate. Planting a rose, affirming life....a good thing for your sore heart.

At risk of being desperately cliched, I can think of nothing finer than a dog rose, canina or canina hybrid (andersonii, Complicata....or even an alba (canina x gallica). Whatever you choose will be planted with love and memory.
    Courage.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

Nik, I'm so very sorry for the loss of your beautiful and sweet dog. They're more than friends, they're family, and the pain is hard to bear. My thought for a rose was Bolero, white to stand for his innocent and pure heart, but also because I understand this rose is tough and drought resistant in addition to being beautiful and very floriferous.

I would imagine Greece would be full of unwanted and unloved dogs. In time perhaps you could make room in your heart to adopt one from an animal shelter, if there are any in Greece, or to adopt a stray. To save an animal from a sad and desperate life is a great privilege.

Ingrid

• Vicissitudezz
    10 years ago

It's so hard to lose a pet, but it sounds like he had a good life and a good passing. You have my sincere condolences.

I like the ideas of 'Quietness' and 'Buff Beauty' that others have mentioned if they will do well where you are. 'Golden Celebration' might be an appropriate way to celebrate the life of your Golden, if Austins do well in your area. When I saw Boubis' photo, I thought of Pedro Dot's 'Golden Moss'- the flowers are that pale golden color...

I'm sure that whatever you decide to plant, he will approve.

Here is a link that might be useful: HMF photo of Golden Moss

• portlandmysteryrose
    10 years ago

Nik, I am so sorry for your loss of such a dear friend! I, too, am close to losing my Sitka (Samoyed mix) any day now. I'm sending an embrace of sympathy and understanding. I think that planting a rose in your beloved's honor is a wonderful idea. If it grows well in your climate, I'd recommend Buff Beauty as several others have. The color is a good match for Boubis and the plant just gets better as it ages, rather like our relationships with our pets. Carol

• odinthor
    10 years ago

Words are never enough, but: My sincere condolences. The pain never goes away, the hole is never filled, but remembering his special qualities and particular good times the two of you had will always overpower the melancholy. His color reminds me of blossoms of 'Safrano', a cheerful, good-natured rose which, like a good friend, is always there for you...

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Oh, Nik, I'm so sorry. How about a Golden Celebration of his life?

• view1ny NY 6-7
    10 years ago

Nik, I'm so sorry to hear this news. I was thinking that a rose you always admired (but didn't get) would be a special gift to yourself. Any plant that brings you joy would be a fitting memorial.

• lascatx
    10 years ago

So sorry for your loss. Take your time and you will find the right one for the right reason.

I went to the Jackson Perkins website and was looking at whites and light yellows -- white being peaceful and yellows for sunny and his golden coat. There are several good possibilities there, but they also cover the gamut from climbing and miniatures, teas to shrubs and knockouts. You might want to decide on a location and type first -- or maybe you have plenty of spaces to chose from.

Moondance was one that I liked -- pale yellow center opening to white. Welcome Home, Sunny Days and Grand Prize are pretty yellows. Blossom Blanket is a white to pale yellow with brighter yellow centers in a ground cover.

Looking at these reminded me of a miniature rose we planted when we lived in CA -- popcorn rose. If it were my lab, I think I'd plant that one cuz it sure wouldn't be black for her coat, but she loves popcorn and catches it when we toss it to her.

• titian1 10b Sydney
    10 years ago

What a lovely looking dog - handsome, and his expression both kindly and wise.

I'm with Ingrid, in hoping you get a 'rescue' dog. There are so many dumped dogs needing a loving home.

I like ratdogheads idea of an arbour.

Sympathy,

Trish

• NewGirlinNorCal
    10 years ago

Nik- I'm so sorry for your loss! Goldens really are a special experience. I was thinking that finding a pale golden color might be tough- but something thornless and exuberant would match the Golden personality that I've known and loved!

• plantloverkat north Houston - 9a
    10 years ago

I know that you have already received many great recommendations, but I was just looking at Peter Beales roses online and I came across this rose and immediately thought about this post.

Here is a link that might be useful: Faithful Friend at Peter Beales

• nikthegreek
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all for your postings. I didn't respond all these days because I found it difficult to visit this thread. I still do. Wow! All these friends bothered to respond and many went into the trouble to go searching for a suitable rose. Thank you all for that and for your kind words.

I like to think Boubis had a good life. His end was so difficult, for me also, and that's one thing that makes me sadder. I'm consoled by the fact that I have his son Aris and his son's mother Irma living with me. But any dog, just like any human, is irreplaceable and Boubis was so special. Goldens are special, I have lost three already including him, but he was kind of special special to me. He was a most sensitive and attached pet although he did act like a moaning minnie sometimes, but then so do I.

I thought about adopting a shelter dog even before the idea was mentioned in this thread but for the time being I'm not getting another dog. Yes, we certainly have a stray problem over here.

Golden Celebration, R. canina now why didn't I think of those? I do own a GC and I should certainly have R. caninas as rootstock. Faithful Friend and 'golden' now this seems like purpose made doesn't it? I'll take my time and I'll let you know what I'll do.

Again, thank you all for your support, it was something that helped me a lot.

What I'll do is I'll go to my files and find a couple more pictures of him and I'll post them here along with pics of Aris and Irma. I hope you won't mind.
    Thanks,
    Nik

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

Nik, how could we mind, we'd love to see pictures of your dogs. You're so right, one dog can never replace another; they're each so special in their own way, and each loss is so very hard. Nothing except time lessens the grief, and the memories don't ever go away.

Take care,
    Ingrid

• portlandmysteryrose
    10 years ago

Nik, I'd love to see photos of Aris and Irma. A long distance hug from Oregon to Athens--Carol

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County