Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blackgavotte

first OGR

blackgavotte
10 years ago

Discovered the Maritime Climate is not very kind to my Austins, so this season, ( my 3rd full season here) am trying Maiden's Blush and Queen of Denmark. Hoping they will resist blackspot better, and handle the wind and salt here... any suggestions?

Comments (5)

• plantloverkat north Houston - 9a
    10 years ago

Congratulations on your new roses. Although I can't grow those roses in my warm climate, I think they are just lovely. Suzy Verrier at North Creek Farm in Phippsburg, Maine does have Maiden's Blush on her 2014 availability list, so I would guess that it would do well for you. I ordered a couple of roses from North Creek Farm for my parents about five years ago, and I found Suzy to be very helpful. Several summers ago I had the opportunity to visit her gardens in June and the roses were glorious.

Here is a link that might be useful: Maiden's Blush at North Ctreek Farm

• jacqueline9CA
    10 years ago

Do you already grow rugosas? They love cold and salt and maritime climates - they grow wild on the coast of Maine, I understand, and when I was there I saw lots of tended huge hedges of them around houses.

Jackie

• blackgavotte
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi ladies, thanks for the comments... I did check out Suzy, just to look at the pictures.. Jackie, I do have rugosas and yes they are tough enough for here, but somehow I don't love them ( yet) as much as I did the Austin types... If these 2 new ones do well over the next winter I will then look for Parfum dl'Hay at least...I have little Marie Bugnet who is thriving well here, also Therese Bugnet which I just put in last summer, late, so will see how she made out soon. Also have Morden Belle which is so lovely I forgive her no scent, she's the only one allowed to stay with no scent in this girl's garden !

• portlandmysteryrose
    10 years ago

Blackgavotte, I, too, would recommend Suzy V as a guide. She has a couple of great books on rugosas and gallicas. I used to garden in MN, not coastal but cold. I adored gallicas and albas! Beautiful fragrant old roses. Stanwell Perptual is another (thorny) rose that is very fragrant. In my experience, older plants do rebloom rather well. All the above should handle the coastal climate. I'd try some of the Explorer series, too. Many are old rose-like, handle the cold and should do well on the coast. They're tough. All the above which are old roses will spread on their own roots (especially some gallicas) but that is how I grow them. Just give them extra room (between plants) and shovel up the unwanted stolons using a sharp spade--whack straight down and dig them up. Make more roses. Share them with friends and OGR converts. The two albas you have chosen are wonderful! Good choices for 1st time old garden roses. I have Queen in my current garden and would not be without her. I don't have room for Maiden but only time will tell if lack of soil space prevents me from growing her again. I have chosen Felicite Parmentier as a small substitute but Maiden is so amazing and so historical and medieval... Remain undaunted and keep us updated! Carol

This post was edited by PortlandMysteryRose on Fri, Feb 21, 14 at 17:35

• ratdogheads z5b NH
    10 years ago

Here's another OGR that surely would suit your climate. This wonderful rose here is the Bishop. I took this photo at North Creek Farm when I visited last June. I had just received mine from Vintage and I was so excited see to Suzy's full grown plant in bloom. Spectacular! She didn't actually have it for sale, but it's pretty easy to find elsewhere (Palatine, Pickering, Rogue Valley).

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living