Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dicouris

Compare Ambridge & Tamora

ratdogheads z5b NH
10 years ago

Could anyone give me a comparison of Ambridge & Tamora: similarities, differences.

My reason in asking is that I have Tamora on order for spring and I already have a place planned for it. Other roses in that garden will be - nearest to Tamora - Boscobel, Melody Perfume (lavender), Crown Princess Margareta, and a bit further away but in the same garden, a couple of white miniforas, Jude the Obscure, Darlow's Enigma.

As for Ambridge, I agreed to it as a substitution for something else and I have no idea where to put it. There's room directly next to Tamora, but if they are very similar (which is my impression) I'm not so sure I'd like the combination.

Comments (11)

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

If there's room to put a companion plant in between, perhaps in white or lavender, that might work. Otherwise I would agree that they might look too similar. In my vastly different climate Ambridge Rose was a rust bucket, but I know it does well for many people.

Ingrid

• joshtx
    10 years ago

Ambridge is easily one of my most favorite roses. It's performed so well for me despite the weather and being an Austin. In my opinion, Tamora and Ambridge Rose are nothing alike. Ambridge has very upright growth, with blooms that turn a peachy pink in the heat. In cooler weather it has blooms like the one below. The photo was taken in the heat of summer after a rain shower that chased away the stifling heat. I hope it makes you very happy! From seeing blooms of Tamora at Chamblee's, Tamora seems to have a more yellow tint to the center with some blush.

Josh

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

I have three of one and six of the other.

What are the differences?

Tamora has 10x the prickles.
    They both have the myhrr scent, Ambridge's is sweeter and more delicate. Tamora's is edgier, sharper.

Tamora produces several new basals every year and can form a decent thicket (though not invasive) to evoke perhaps a bit of Gallica heritage. Ambridge I get a new basal or two every year to 18 months. More of a floribunda. They both bloom great, though Tamora will be a little more persistent bloomer into late fall than Ambridge. Height, Ambridge is slightly shorter and more narrow than Tamora. Tamora has canes that mature to a reddish-brown while Ambridge's remain quite apple green.

Here they are mixed in together--can you tell them apart?
    {{gwi:228014}}

Not the greatest photos, that was my old camera.

Ambridge has a slightly more pastel shade, slightly cooler than Tamora.
    {{gwi:228015}}
    Tamora will lean a little bit more towards orange (though they are very close in color).
    {{gwi:228016}}
    Tamora has more petals. The flowers last maybe one day longer than Ambridge. Ambridge has a open cupped shape. Ambridge gets rustier here, but manageable. Neither bloomed much at all when they were baby plants, but now there are always flowers on both.

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    10 years ago

We have a 2 year old -5 gallon bought- and a band sized Ambridge Rose here by the coast in So Cal. Both have been very healthy. This photo was taken today on a planted band-sized plant. Lovely scent if you don't mind the anise-myrrh fragrance. No "octopus" canes so far either.

I've seen a Tamora regularly at a house nearby that is also fairly healthy looking. To my eye it has a deeper Apricot that encompasses more of the bloom. Ambridge often has a blush or creamy outer ring very much in the style of Sharifa Asma. I didn't know about the prickles on Tamora, but I've never seen a Tamora taller than 4 feet in person.

If we could do it all over, we might've gone with Queen of Sweden instead of Ambridge since that has a bit more color variation it seems and a wonderful cupped shape.

Jay

This post was edited by ArbutusOmnedo on Sun, Feb 23, 14 at 20:30

• kittymoonbeam
    10 years ago

My Ambridge is paler in color and taller. The flowers will bend down sometimes in a pretty way. Tamora holds her flowers up and is a more compact plant. I like the color variation of Ambridge through the year. Tamora makes a pretty briar patch so don't put her too close to the path.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

In zone 5 NH, I don't think Tamora will be forming briar patches. We get plenty of winter here, and I don't think Tamora is more than 3 1/2 feet tall, and a little less than three feet wide. She's compact and stays that way, though I agree she has awful thorns. My Tamora produces fairly pale apricot blooms pretty continuously, though not in huge quantities. She's one of the first to start blooming, and one of the last to stop. She only needs a bit of pruning and has been totally trouble free for me.
    Diane

• ratdogheads z5b NH
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow, this is fantastic information, I am so glad I asked. I love this forum, thank you, thank you!!

This gives me a lot to ponder, not the least of which is that Tamora would be near a path & seating area.

hoovb , form what I'm reading, my guess is that Tamora is on the left in the photo, Ambridge is on the right?

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

Correctomundo, ratdogheads.

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    10 years ago

I don't know Ambridge Rose. But I do grow and love Tamora. She is probably my favorite rose. Vigorous and hardy here, she grows to almost 4' here in my eastern Pennsylvania garden.

Tamara is almost a continuous bloomer here. There is a variance in color and form which I have yet to explain. Her opening buds are normally a rich raspberry/peach blend. Definitely looks good enough to eat.

{{gwi:228017}}

{{gwi:222128}}

{{gwi:222312}}

• Susanne27
    10 years ago

Harryshoe - Those pictures are amazing. Thank you. I believe that the artistic process that goes into gardening also translates into an aptitude (and an opportunity) for fantastic photography.

Sue

• ratdogheads z5b NH
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just gorgeous! Can't wait for spring.