A short story with southern flavor and old roses:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=860422

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I am the Rose Queen. Who are you?

Thanks

o

I was hoping someone had written a "What Old Garden Rose Are You?" quiz. I'd write it but I don't know the roses that well.

o

I really enjoyed Bailey White's short story. It was especially interesting to me, as Thomasville is not far, just across the FL/GA line. They do still have the rose parade and festival, and there is a municipal park planted with a lot of hybrid teas and a small heritage rose garden. There was so much that was factual, I am wondering if they really did the parade in the old days the way she wrote about it, too. Will have to do further research. Always so interesting reading about roses. I read it last night but didn't have time to post yesterday, so, I can tell you, this is one of those stories that will come back to you at odd moments when you think you've forgotten all about it, and make you smile. Thanks for posting it. Donna

o

I loved Bailey White's short essays on public radio. I read her first book, too. So funny, so wry. I miss them very much.

I had not heard from her in such a long time that I somehow thought she was no longer with us. I'm happy to learn that it is not true.

Folly

o

Thanks for posting this!!

I really enjoyed reading it. I thought it was a really great story and the ending really brought a smile on my face. It would be nice if it were true, but also nice that it's not. What Donna said last really sums it up for me :) Thanks again.

Alana

o

I am so happy others enjoyed this cute little story. I love Bailey White. What Donna said has been my experience exactly. There are episodes in her writing that you remember at odd moments. I highly recommend Quite A Year for Plums. Hysterical. Odd. Touching.

NewGirl: What a super idea! If I am remembering some old threads correctly, michaelg would be just the person to write that quiz. If you haven't read his vignette of Marie Pavie...

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/rosesant/msg071427578888.html

o

I did search for info about the industry in Georgia and found nothing at the National Ag Library in Beltsville MD.

Anybody know if there's a library in Georgia with some of the info in a special collection?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here