Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
morrisnoor

A Rose garden in Sardinia

morrisnoor
17 years ago

Hi guys :o)

I'm very happy to show you some photos of my garden. I would like to spend few words abut the garden and it's setting before... Well, if you don't know, Sardinia (you can read more about here: http://www.sardiniapoint.it/ ) is an island, situated just at the center of the Mediterranean Sea. We are surely more renowned for sea, beaches and food than gardens... all my neighbours are filled with cheaper gardens with Pinus,Acacia, Eucalyptus and Melaleuca in awful arrangements :o/ Climate is a tipical hot, dry Mediterranean climate (like the California chaparral), with long, very hot summers and no freezing in humid winther. Not the ideal place for Roses...

So, about 10 years ago(I was 17 years old!) I fell in love with Old Roses, looking for a "english-style" garden, with mixed planted borders, Roses, perennials, and designed by colour schemes ...

Step by step, I designed my garden in "rooms" where Roses are the absolute favourites.

Look at the surrounding landscape

{{gwi:228113}}

I've started in 1996 with the now called "Rose Garden", where is the largest part of Roses in the garden

A vista in 1999

{{gwi:228114}}
And some more recent photos ;o)

The central path

{{gwi:228115}}

The borders

{{gwi:228116}}

The pergola, with 'Little White Pet' in the foreground and 'Mme Hardy'at right

{{gwi:228117}}

And the main entrance.To the left is 'Buff Beauty', and to the right 'Mayor of Casterbridge', with 'New Dawn', 'Albic Barbier' and 'Céline Forestier' in the pergola. (The path was just covered with Nepeta... :oP)

{{gwi:228118}}

(To be continued... ;o))

Comments (129)

• james23
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

maurizio, just saw this thread
    your garden is awesome!

• brandyray
    16 years ago

Maurizio- a picture book is a necessity! Many of us here would have to have one!
    Your reflecting pool speaks of serenity and a breather from the workaday world. I love it!
    All of your roses and companion plants are amazing! I've never heard of Mme Falcot before. I will have to look it up. (I'm still looking for no spray roses for the hot and humid coast.) I too love catmint and have several clumps of it.
    The way your paths thread between the flowers is an enchantment. What a wonderful creation! Thank you for sharing! (And don't forget about the book!) Brandy

• carolfm
    16 years ago

Well, Maurizio, you have been missed. I wondered where you were and I was happy to see your post. I'm sure you have been busy maintaining your wonderous garden but I do look forward to seeing more photo's!

Carol

• mauirose
    15 years ago

i hope no one minds that i pull this thread back up. Maurizio's climate i think is not so different from mine. i am studying his beautiful planting combinations looking to steal some ideas. yes-i am shameless!
    Maurizio-if you see this-have you used leptospermum? i am thinking this is a good companion for the teas (so funny-i just see the similiarity of the names now).

• monarda_gw
    15 years ago

Incredibile! Formidabile! It looks like a paradiso terreste!

Thank you so much for posting this.

Please do share more fabulous pictures in future. It must be wonderful in every season.

• girijavira
    15 years ago

I came across this thread just today and I;m absolutely enchanted. Maurizio, you have created an amazing garden, seeing its development is so educational. You have created a paradise. Your photographs are stunning, please show us some more. Your combinations of companion plantings are so innovative. I am from India and trying to make a garden with little soil and less water. What do you use for mulch?
    Warm congratulations
    Girijavira

• ydm01
    14 years ago

Just bumping this up because I like to see it every spring for inspiration. Yolana

• morrisnoor
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hello guys,
    I've been really busy and didn't have the time to write again about the garden in the Forum. But, encouraged by many "friends" who ask me about from time to time, I would like to share this year's pictures whith you.
    Plants have grown up and some areas have filled out nicely.
    You can find a very long thread on my italian Forum (see the link below) with many pictures -starting from February to the present time of the year- showing also some "behind the scenes" works in the garden, and many interesting plants for mediterranean like, arid climates. Especially Roses, of course! The thread will be constantly updated since the end of the year.

A big hug to all, I miss you. :o)
    Maurizio

Here is a link that might be useful: Something new in my sardinian garden

• aimeekitty
    13 years ago

so lovely! I'll have fun looking through the thread slowly later.

• zeffyrose
    13 years ago

Even though I can't read the posts I sure can enjoy the pictures--

Thanks,Florence

• jumbojimmy
    13 years ago

Lovely! Your garden looks very country-style and I like it.

For those who can't read Italian, GOOGLE has a TRANSLATOR feature - just type GOOGLE TRANSLATOR in the search, and you will be amazed with how fast it can translate the post. Although the translation may not be accurate, but at least you can understand something.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    13 years ago

Incredible pictures, Maurizio. Bravo! You have a rare and wonderful talent and your garden is beautiful at every season. I look forward to more lovely pictures.

Ingrid

• hartwood
    13 years ago

Link for the English translation of Maurizio's forum page.

Here is a link that might be useful: In English

• mashamcl
    13 years ago

Grazie, Maurizio, per averci vedere it tuo giardino. Your garden is wonderful, lush and peaceful. I love the view from the pond area, and the light is magical.

Masha

• holleygarden Zone 8, East Texas
    13 years ago

Wow! You are an amazing designer. Your garden is absolute perfection. Thanks for showing us what you have created.

• cupshaped_roses
    13 years ago

Wonderful garden you have created Maurizio - with so many good elements and vignettes.

• jeannie2009
    13 years ago

Mauritzio...oh my. My whole heart thanks you for letting us peek into your wonderland.
    Your design is incredible and the lushness of your specimens is amazing.
    Again thank you.
    Jeannie

• morrisnoor
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hello and thanks to everyone :o)
    Hart, I must admit that Google traslation is really funny, but now I feel almost proud of my uncertain english! Thank you! :o)))
    Niels, I especially appreciate your comment, as I see from your fabulous pictures and roses what kind of a gardener you are! Lookin' at your Delphiniums makes me so envious, in mediterraneas climates we suffer the lack of valuable vertical accents, as spike-flowered plants last out for a very short time.
    I've tried to create a garden full of lushy green and subles colours, feelin' fresh and quiet even in the middle of the summer furnace we have here. I'm always disappointed when, talkin' about "mediterranean" gardens, it always seems we have to choose between two opposites: an almost desert-like, xeric garden, or the subtropical lush of leaves and jazzy colours looking good only in the summer, and completely out of place the ramaining time.

If everyone want to know more about something, a design solution or some companion plants or the Roses ... or everything else, please feel free to ask.

Ciao!
    Maurizio

• rosemeadow_gardener
    13 years ago

Maurizio, your garden photos are a feast for the eyes ! So lush and rich in greenery and beautiful rose colour. I plan to come back every night to re look over your photos. I am glad you like St Swithum as I have a young ownroot growing well over a archway that in the fore front of my garden.
    I am excited to see your marvelous Clair Matin as I have a grafted one and its blooms haven't looked that great yet, but now I know how beautiful it hopefully will become.
    Thankyou so much for showing us your garden.

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    13 years ago

That is quite a garden you have there. It looks like it took an incredible effort to put it all together, but it sure paid off. Out of curiosity, do you also have a garden area for any fruits or vegetables?

• ronda_in_carolina
    13 years ago

I am so sick of the rain...how about a little view of paradise.

One of my favorite posts....

*bump*

• vuwugarden
    13 years ago

Maurizio, your garden is truly a masterpiece!

I am thoroughly enjoying your beautiful garden photos from the link of your Italian forum. What a treat for the eyes!

Please stop by the forum often to update us on the progress or changes of your garden. You have been an inspiration to us all!

My very best to you and yours,

Audrey

Here is a link that might be useful: more photos from Maurizio's garden

• ogrose_tx
    11 years ago

Bumping this so we can all enjoy again!! Sure wish he was still posting...

• rosefolly
    11 years ago

You can find him on Facebook. I regularly see his photos there.

Rosefolly

• Kippy
    11 years ago

Thank you for bumping, those are wonderful photos

• sherryocala
    11 years ago

This post was my undoing. I remember it well. I bought my first roses in February, 2007. Maurizio is a very seductive fellow.

Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: If only sweat were irrigation...

• bart_2010
    11 years ago

I'm always so glad when you post, Maurizio. But I know what you mean about it being time-consuming...and you put up photos, too!Your garden is so truly beautiful; I can only dream that some day mine might somewhat approach that level. I hope some day I can visit yours,and that eventually mine will be accesible to the public,and I can invite people to mine...You are such a source of inspiration.And, by the way, your English is excellent; no need to apologize.Per�, capisco che � sempre pi� facile scrivere/parlare nella madrelingua (ora IO devo chiedere scusa per i miei errori in Italiano! e non ci sono scuse; abito qui dal 1985!!!) regards, bart,qui in Toscana

• harmonyp
    11 years ago

Thank you SO much for bumping this thread back. This started before my time on the forum and I've never seen these photos. They just transported me into a fairytale world. Breathtaking. Inspiring. And words for which there are no words.

• CranburyGardener
    11 years ago

Yes, thanks for bringing this back. It is also before my time. What a wonderful Mother's day gift. I just couldn't believe my eyes seeing these magical photos. I was just reading another post by campanula, about what a special place this forum is. Literate, funny and joyful posts. I am now going out into my little garden with a cappuccino in a tribute to Maurizio. If he can do that with 0.4 acres.....

• rathersmallbunny
    11 years ago

Oh, I loved this post as well! This was so inspiring when I first saw it a few years ago. I really wish he was still posting.

Rosefolly -- how do you find him on Facebook? I couldn't find his full name here...

• morrisnoor
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hello to everyone, I'm glad to hear from all of you. Thank you :)
    I'm pretty busy with work and time to write on the forums is almost reduced to nothing.
    But I still read from time to time, and miss you all so much!

I'll try to post some new pictures of the garden, soon. It has changed "a bit" since this first post!

Ciao!
    Maurizio

• rathersmallbunny
    11 years ago

Ah! You posted Maurizio! So wonderful to hear from you again. I often look at your pictures for inspiration as I suspect my climate (Northern California) is quite similar to yours. Please update or add links where we can continue to follow you!

p.s. It looks like you have many David Austins in full sun. I find I can't do that here as they seem to bleach out. Do you have that problem too, or is it simply a matter of establishing a mature plant?

• jumbojimmy
    11 years ago

Hi Maurizio!
    I look forward to see some new garden photos of yours. Could you please post a picture of your St Swithun rose? I'm still deciding whether or not to keep this rose because it hasn't bloom much for me.
    Thanks

• ogrose_tx
    8 years ago

Hi, am bumping this again, I get so much inspiration from Maurizio's garden, and thought the newer posters might enjoy it.

ogrose

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    8 years ago

What a pleasure to see Maurizio's garden again. It's simply unforgettable. I could be wrong but I seem to remember at least one other post of his showing his garden, equally beautiful and enchanting. His is a rare talent. I hope climate change hasn't affected his garden too much.

• ogrose_tx
    8 years ago

Ingrid, this post is from 2007; I just can't resist taking a look at it from time to time.

• Rosefolly
    8 years ago

I had the pleasure of meeting Maurizio this past summer at Mottisfont. He started out with this family garden when he was still in his teens and went on to become a professional landscape designer. Not exactly a surprise. If he worked in the USA, I would scrape together my dollars and hire him to design mine without question. I find his to be among the most beautiful gardens anywhere in the world.

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    6 years ago

What a joy this Maurizio thread is.

• fig_insanity Z7b E TN
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Maurizio hasn't posted anything in years. It would be great to get an update on his career, and even see some of his professional projects. He's truly talented.

John

EDIT: The link to M's photos no longer works, so I tried checking out his pro website, but it doesn't appear to have been updated in years, either. I wonder if he has another, more current one? I sure hope he's doing well.

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    6 years ago

John, I'll try to find the link so you can still view the pics. thanks for brings this thread up again. AMAZING!!! Was it him who was designing a tea rose path?

• User
    6 years ago

He's still active on HMF, and you can see his Facebook pages here, showing some of his work in progress...

La Pietra Rossa

• vasue VA
    6 years ago

Thanks to Malorena & Fig & all who've kept this post alive through the years. Magical garden, Marizio! Just updated today - http://www.helpmefind.com/gardening/l.php?l=3.19075  Sue

• fig_insanity Z7b E TN
    6 years ago

Sue, Sheila is the one who resurrected the thread this time. But the timing was really weird, as I had just been thinking I'd like to see Maurizio post again, lol. Great minds...

• fig_insanity Z7b E TN
    6 years ago
  • monarda_gw
    6 years ago

Thank you for this!

• fig_insanity Z7b E TN
    6 years ago

Oh, Vaporvac, I totally forgot to answer your question, lol. Yes, it was Maurizio who was designing the "tea walk". There are photos of it here.

Scroll way down. I'd love to see it now that it has had time to mature!

• Lisa Adams
    6 years ago

I just checked out his Instagram. Wow! I’m not sure which pictures I drooled over more, his flowers or his selfies! Did I really just say that?

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    6 years ago

The rest of us thought it Lisa!

• fig_insanity Z7b E TN
    6 years ago

I bite my tongue. My lips are sealed. I make no moral judgment. Really. Honest.

lol :D