Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Austin roses in Ontario

Posted by Susanne27 5a Ontario Canada (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 25, 14 at 9:59

I want to try some Austin roses this year. Would Doctor Huey rootstock work for me here in Ontario zone 5 or should I be ordering own root? I ask because there is a very limited variety available in Ontario and I am thinking of ordering from Austin in Texas.

Thank you,
Sue

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Austin roses in Ontario

I'm in zone 5. I grow Austins on Dr. Huey and they do well.

o

Thank you Krista for your input. I looked at your My Page in the forum and you have an amazing collection of roses and since we like the same thing in roses - colour and fragrance and old style roses - I printed your rose list off as a reference.

Sue

o

I'm in a totally different zone 5 but over here in Sweden Rosa canina inermis or Pfänder's canina are the recommended rootstocks for most zones, although Rosa 'Laxa', works in warmer zones of Scandiavia. If not available I'd go for own root plants.

o

I have about 30 Austins in my zone 5 Nebraska yard, and I can't tell any hardiness differences between the ones that are grafted and the own root ones. In general, I tend to find that almost all Austins are hardy - many tip hardy - in zone 5, but in Krista's zone 4 she has to be more selective I'm sure.

In my experience, you can pick whichever source has the roses you're looking for without worrying about hardiness. Grafted roses might grow a little faster than own root, but my own root Austins have been pretty fast at getting established too.

Cynthia

o

Thank you for the helpful information and what I was hoping to hear. It opens up a lot more choices for me.

Sue

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here