Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
harmonyp

Choice: Crown Princess Marg., Lady Emma Hamilton, Teasing Georgia

harmonyp
12 years ago

Have one nice spot for a sizeable Austin. Have narrowed down to these three. But having a dilemma choosing. Priorities:

1. Healthy rose with great repeat and preferably big blooms

2. Fragrance

Spot is north of the house. Some large trees in the yard, but should get about 6 hours of sun a day.

SF East bay area - dry heat. Soil - sand.

Comments (13)

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    12 years ago

Oh, the heck with it--get all three. No one should be tortured with having to pick which one is the best. They all are!!!!!!

Kate : )

• wanttogarden
    12 years ago

I SPed CPM because of lack of rebloom. I am in San Jose area. In addition, it gets huge and tall which I did not have room for it.
    I do not have the others but eyeing LEH for a shadier place for next year.

good luck,
    FJ

• strawchicago z5
    12 years ago

I only grow Lady Emma Hamilton (English Musk). She does well in my partial shade, alkaline wet clay soil. I did extensive research on the other Crown P. Margareta and Teasing Georgia for my partial shade spot.

Crown P. M. - someone in SF reported it does well in bad soil. Another person reported it bloomed in 2 hours of sun, so I suspect it's a water-hog if it does well in partial shade. I give plants from my garden to my sister in CA (dry heat, sand) and she said they never bloom for her, despite their being invasive in my rainy zone 5a. Folks in warm zone reported CPM not much scent, while folks in cold zone reported fruity scent.

Teasing Georgia - I took it off my rose order when I realize it's a thorny monster. Reportedly nice tea with myrrh scent. Ingrid grew that in the past.

Hoovb in California wrote a post about Lady Emma Hamilton, big fragrant bloom, good repeat & disease resistant, low in thorns. Lots of people like Lady E. Hamilton. I like her perfect size, red stem, and shiny foliage. I like her scent more than Jude the Obscure.

• caldonbeck
    12 years ago

Definitely Crown Pricess Marg out of the three - although Teasing Georgia has the most perfect flowers. As others have said, CPM is a hungry and thirsty rose, but all the big ones are. My two are babies in the first pic but you can see the flowers. Never had much problem with disease but then I'm 30 miles away from David Austin so what does well for him does for me. The second pic is one I wook at their gardens in summer last year.

{{gwi:228772}}

{{gwi:228773}}

• strawchicago z5
    12 years ago

Thanks, Caldonbeck, for those gorgeous pics. I'm happy that Crown P. M is coming this spring to my rainy zone 5a climate.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    12 years ago

CPM and TG are going to be much larger plants than LEH, I

• jerome
    12 years ago

Caldonbeck, those photos are beautiful. Love the petals on top of the boxwood hedge - so evocative.

I have CPM and TG both. TG is an established huge shrub - it's magnificent. CPM is about 22 months old - it'll be 2 in April. It's beautiful too. Both bloom about the same for me. I think CPM is more fragrant of the two. Mine is in a terrible spot: half the year in the sun, half the year in the shade of a building - in bad soil. It's impervious to these things. I think TG would be too. I think they're both great roses. LEH is new, I just put the bare root bushes in about a 2 weeks ago. I saw it in my friend Hoovb's garden and "had to have it". It will be a much smaller plant than the other two. It is also much, much more fragrant. It's fragrance is so powerful that it affects your sense of taste as well, at the back of your mouth, as you sniff it. I can hardly wait 'til ours bloom!

• caldonbeck
    12 years ago

I think this is LEH at the bottom of the pic at DA.

{{gwi:223917}}

• jerome
    12 years ago

That has to be one of the most beautiful photographs I've ever seen. Heaven will be like that.

• harmonyp
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all so much. This really helped. Dublinbay - you are such an enabler, shame!

Caldenbeck, your photos of CPM really hooked me. But I was still mourning over Teasing Georgia. Despite the fragrance of LEH, the look didn't grab me. So, onto David Austin's site I went only to find "Offer C" - with both CPM and Teasing Georgia. Then Dublinbay's words resounding in the back of my head. So - Offer C it is with Princess Alexandra of Kent and Young Lycidas added.

Thanks all (I think?)

• jim_east_coast_zn7
    12 years ago

I grew Teasing Georgia in Virginia and I found it only moderately thorny and I have a "THING" about thorns/prickles. Agree the bloom is perfection and I found it quite healthy with no spray. (Maybe a tad prejudiced as it is one of my 3 "desert island" roses, the other two being Darlow's Enigma and the other Blossomtime.) Don't grow the other two and agree those pictures are GORGEOUS!
    Jim

• caldonbeck
    12 years ago

I think you have ordered all of my favourite austins all in one go lol - put Princess alexandra out of the strong sun so her flowers last. Young lycidas builds up over time - more like a branching srub so go easy on the pruning with that one, she just needs a light hair cut every year.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    12 years ago

Gee, harmony, I'm so sorry I forced you to buy roses you don't want. I mean, like, who would want to be stuck with losers like Crown Princess Marg., Lady Emma Hamilton, Teasing Geo?

Is that better?

Of course, you know I'm lying through my teeth. LOL

Congratulations on your wonderful new roses!

Kate