Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosefolly_gw

Special publication of Rosa Mundi

rosefolly
10 years ago

I would assume that a number of us are members of the Heritage Rose Foundation. To those of us who are, have you yet received your copy of Old Rose Survivors: Wild and Untamed? If not, start haunting your mailbox! It is a lovely book -- I cannot call it a mere magazine -- full of great articles and photographs. Our own Mendocino Rose has an article in it about her rambler preservation efforts. That is only the beginning. Malcolm Manners has an article included, of course. Besides others from the US, there are contributors from around the world. I'm afraid to list individual countries in case I leave one out.

I hope you enjoy yours as much as I am enjoying my own copy!

Folly

Comments (14)

• jacqueline9CA
    10 years ago

Oh, goodie! I have not gotten mine yet - can't wait!

Jackie

• AnneCecilia z5 MI
    10 years ago

Wonderful! Something to look forward to reading and re-reading during these endless weeks of cold and snow. (Can you tell I'm getting cabin fever?)

• jacqueline9CA
    10 years ago

Mine just arrived, and would you believe that the first article is about a species rose in Japan which is a TREE (a real tree, not a manufactured one)? Really - the branch in the picture looks at least 6-8 inches in diameter (that is a branch, not the base of the plant!). More wonders in the further articles which I have not yet gotten to - WOW!

Jackie

• mendocino_rose
    10 years ago

Anita and Jeri have contributions too. I've known about and yearned for Rosa Hirtula(the rose like a tree) for several years. Rosamundi is such a wonderful publication.

• harborrose_pnw
    10 years ago

I have only read part of mine, and have more than half of this issue devoted to "Old Rose Survivors, Wild and Untamed" to read yet. Already, though, I plan to make a wicket as an entry arch into my new back garden. Mendocino rose gives a good set of instructions for how she made hers alongside her piece on her ramblers. The background story to Peggy Martin's rose and Hurricane Katrina is heart wrenching and touching. Rev. Douglas Seidel's piece on Mrs. Keays and Creek Side is just juicy, the kind of story I love. It is a beautiful piece of work, edited by Gregg Lowery, Pat Shanley and Gene Waering. I am so glad to have a copy. Gean

• rosefolly
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I looked for Anita's and Jeri's contributions so that I could mention them, but missed seeing them, and so thought I had been mistaken. Thanks for catching that, Pamela. I do not want to miss mentioning any GW contributors. My apologies to Anita and Jeri.

Rosefolly

• harborrose_pnw
    10 years ago

Malcolm Manners has an article as well on the work they're doing at Florida Southern.

• catsrose
    10 years ago

Mine came today. All plans and intentions came to halt. I read it right up until kitty dinner time. Glorious!

• rosefolly
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Professor Manners I did get. And I just figured out how I missed Anita and Jeri. They are listed in a separate section of the table of contents.

I would say that GW's Antique Roses Forum is very well represented!

• harborrose_pnw
    10 years ago

Oh, Folly, I'm sorry. You're right. Oh, well, Dr. Manners deserves two mentions at least.

• mendocino_rose
    10 years ago

How could I forget to mention Malcolm? Gean, I'm so glad that you are making a wicket. There are these other structures ,not in the article, that we are making that we call Bloody Huts. You use three pieces of rebar for them and they are shaped rather like a pup tent. They're good for a rose that needs more room and you can even leave a side open and sit inside.

• jaspermplants
    10 years ago

This posting has inspired me to join the HRF. Don't know why I haven't already as I am devoted to old garden roses.

• organic_tosca
    10 years ago

YES! YES! YES! I received mine last week and am in awe, It's such an informative and beautiful issue. In fact, I just surfaced from reading the article from the Australians (Teas are my favorites). Now, back to it...

• barbjo8b
    10 years ago

Agree! So many enthusiastic posts. There is so much to learn about OGR. I, too, just joined.