Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Opal Brunner pictures?

Posted by jacqueline3 9CA (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 7, 12 at 12:43

Does anyone have pictures of an entire Opal Brunner bush? I planted two of them about 2 years ago. I agree with Vintage Gardens, who has classified this rose as a climbing polyantha, not a climbing floribunda. It blooms with small blooms in graceful clusters on flexible canes.

Both of mine were about 3-4 feet high until last Fall, when they started putting out climbing canes...Now one of them has a cane that is at least 12 feet long - it has migrated over to my Le Vesuve, which it is trying to use as a climbing structure. So, I when I noticed I ran to look at the other one - same thing. The second one is next to a fence, so I will train it horizontally on that. We ordered a large rose folly for the first one - it got here two days ago, and my DH painted it dark green (matches the nearby fence). I am hoping to train OB around it, because where it is there is not much space for it to go anywhere except up.

Most of the pictures I have been able to find are of one bloom or bloom cluster, so if anyone has a full bush/climbing picture, that would be great to see. Thanks -

jackie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Opal Brunner pictures?

Jackie, I don't know where the slides are of the plant, but I grew it as a free standing shrub in Newhall for many years. It got about four feet tall and spread easily six feet across. The shape was arching and it did support itself. Of course, it was in all day sun with fairly constant wind at the base of a slope in a water gap. It took planting it where it got less sun and where I could stake it to encourage it to climb. Kim

o

Kim - thanks so much! I will try to train mine on their supports and see what happens. They are in sun, but with so many trees and houses around, they probably only get about 4 hours, which is probably why they have decided to climb to see if there is more available! Thanks again -

Jackie

o

That's a good call, Jackie. They probably have taken this long to throw those longer canes as they produced the roots to support them. Many forget that elongation to reach into the light is often the cause for our roses growing much longer (taller) than expected. Put the same thing out in all day, direct sun and it often remains significantly shorter. Kim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here