Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nursery Sales Alerts!!!

Posted by AquaEyes 7 New Brunswick, NJ (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 11, 14 at 15:06

I'm thinking, rather than having a new post for each sale, why not have a 'reusable' thread to share with members when a nursery is having a sale?

On that note, Bluestone Perennials has some varieties 50% off right now -- and allows you to choose any free plant with an order of $99 or more. It's keeping an eye out for things like this that allowed me to order all the stuff I have coming for Spring this year.

:-)

~Christopher

Here is a link that might be useful: 50% off sale at Bluestone Perennials

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nursery Sales Alerts!!!

Thanks, Christopher! Good idea. I may have to get some more violets from Bluestone. Yes, violets. You'd think local nurseries would stock Queen Charlotte, but not-so-much.

o

• Posted by AquaEyes 7 New Brunswick, NJ (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 12, 14 at 1:49

Hey, you want violets? I'm getting violets -- but not from Bluestone. Select Seeds has a few. I picked for fragrance, and they have two fragrant Violas ('Rebecca' and 'Etain'), four Sweet Violets ('Bride White', 'Classy Pink', 'Governor Herrick' and 'Rosina') and two Parma Violets ('Comte de Brazza' and 'Duchesse de Parme').

~Christopher

Here is a link that might be useful: Select Seeds

o

Christopher,

I too am also a big fan of violets, which are winter bloomers here in CA, and I thank you for the names; images are easier to find with precise names. This is probably a stupid question: but can you please explain the difference in scent between the sweet violets and the Parma violets? Also, do you know of scented white violets?

Thanks,

Larry

o

Wed, Feb 12, 14 at 15:53

Larry, I've never actually owned any, so I can't say. This will be my first experience with them. From what I've learned via book and online reading, what most people call Sweet Violets are cultivars or hybrids of V. odorata. Parma Violets are probably closely related, but were always mentioned as having "something different" about them in fragrance, leading many to propose either a related species, or hybridization with a related species.

One of the Parma Violets I mentioned is white. One of the Sweet Violets I mentioned is white. Some Violas, Violettas, etc. are also fragrant, which probably indicates some V. odorata ancestry (I'm guessing, since what I've read of other species doesn't indicate that they are fragrant -- only V. odorata is listed as being so). I have become a fragrance snob, so when I learned about fragrant members of the Viola genus, I tried finding them for this new garden. I saw a few cultivars mentioned in my Encyclopedia of Perennials, and tried keeping an eye out for them on nursery websites.

Additionally, whenever I find a new nursery website, I seek out plants listed as being fragrant, and jot them down -- as well as the nursery offering them for the lowest price. As sales notices have come in via email, I go to those nursery websites to see if anything on my list is on-sale. If some on my list haven't come up by planting-time, I'll go back to my list and find the cheapest sources of my "must-haves."

That's the case with my Select Seeds order -- it's not actually processed yet, but I kept my "must-haves" in a saved shopping cart. If some of those items come up on-sale cheaper elsewhere, I remove them from my saved shopping cart. Similarly, I wanted to get some hostas for a shady border on the north side of my house. I kept in mind the general characteristics I wanted, and if any on-sale met them, I bought them. But I still want a few more, and for those, I'll be going to Hostas Direct (dot com). While their regular prices are about the best (I don't mind getting small plants and waiting for them to grow), some of the sale prices for "normal" sized plants come in a little less at other nurseries, so I snatch up those first. I want a few more descended from H. plantiginea (the only fragrant Hosta species, blooming in mid to late Summer), so unless I find them on-sale soon, I'll be placing an order with Hostas Direct.

All this comparison-shopping for price is a new thing for me. In the past, I wasn't buying so many plants at once, so it didn't "hurt" as much to be spending more per plant. But when trying to get all the perennials and self-seeding annuals for a whole garden planted in one year, a price difference of just $5 per plant makes a huge difference in the total.

This post was edited by AquaEyes on Wed, Feb 12, 14 at 15:59

o

Christopher, Select Seeds--thanks again!

Larry, parma violets have Viola alba in their heritage and are very fragrant but somewhat tender. I cannot grow them in PDX, even mulched in a protected site. A greenhouse would be nice. Sweet violets (Viola odorata) are quite hardy but not quite as fragrant. Some varieties may not be fragrant at all to many noses. All violets are more fragrant when placed in a warmer enclosed space such as a greenhouse or covered glass vase in the house. A forum member collects glass rose bowls which serve the same role for roses. Viola labradorica is not fragrant to my nose, but it is hardy and very pretty. It mixes beautifully with variegated groundcovers such as Lamium 'White Nancy."

Carol

o

Something that was mentioned often in historical records as a oddity of violets is that they were fragrant grown in pots, but lost their fragrance when planted in the ground. Years ago, I picked up a fragrant, hardy violet at Logees, and it actually seemed to be true.

o

Wed, Feb 12, 14 at 20:01

Dang...on two counts. I was looking forward to kneeling down and smelling them when they flower. And I was hoping that the Parmas would be hardy here in 7a -- at least, that's how they're listed. Well, I still have their spots in mind, and will still keep them in my shopping cart and buy them soon. If the Parmas don't come back for me, well, then that's that. I don't know if I have the right conditions to keep them in pots right now.

~Christopher

o

Christopher, some parmas may be hardier than others. I've forgotten which ones I tried to grow. Arctic cold snaps took the parmas down both years I planted them. Let me know if yours survive and thrive. I might make a 3rd attempt.... Carol

o

Mad Gallica, that IS interesting. Maybe I'll experiment with mine. I wonder if soil makes the difference. Or maybe the potted ones were in greenhouses?

Christopher, I can pick up scent on Queen Charlotte in my garden. Kneel and take a whiff of your violas when they bloom. Your fantasies may be fulfilled!

Carol

o

Christopher,

Thanks for starting an interesting thread.

Carol,

Thanks for answering the question.

Best,

Larry

o

Mon, Feb 17, 14 at 15:34

Another Bluestone Perennials sale -- 25% off web-exclusives. Go get 'em!

~Christopher

Here is a link that might be useful: 25% off web-exclusives at Bluestone Perennials

o

Last spring on this forum, Melissa initiated a thread on Parma violets that generated lots of comment plus a number of links to interesting violet-related articles.

For those who may want to visit/re-visit that thread, here it is . . .

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Question About Violets, Not Roses'

o

Received an email from Heirloom this morning. They're having a sale on English roses.

o

Fri, Feb 21, 14 at 12:45

Another Bluestone Perennials sale! 50% off selected varieties. I've ordered a lot from them this year, and virtually everything was among sale-priced items. It makes me remember working at Frank's Nursery and Crafts as a teenager, and how the "regular price" was maintained for only legal minimum time spans, with basically everything rotating into a "sale price" at some point. So for those of you on a budget, it might be best to wait for "must-haves" to appear on-sale before buying, since it's likely that they will be at some point within a given year.

~Christopher

Here is a link that might be useful: 50% off sale at Bluestone Perennials

o

Thu, Mar 6, 14 at 17:52

Bluestone Perennials is still running its 50/50 sale, and added some shrubs that are also discounted (but not as much). If you see something 50% off there today, hurry! They come out with a new list of 50 tomorrow.

And Heirloom roses is having a sale on its most fragrant varieties -- 10-20% off "very fragrant" and "exceptionally fragrant" roses that are currently available.

~Christopher

o

Thanks for the updates Christopher. I used to love Frank's nurseries. They had a great TLC discount plant section.

o

Suppose it's a local thing but Lowe's is junking their bloomed-out daffodils now. 3-4 big tete-a-tete bulbs in good soil for $1.00. I picked up a bunch to plant at the cemetery.

I appreciate how they offer their throw-aways for a couple of weeks instead of directly tossing them. I've picked up some fine dianthus for .25 each. They are perennial here, spreading more each year. Got a nice 3' tall, well-branched vitex in a 7 gallon pot last fall for $10 (still have to chop a hole for it, groan)

o

Heirloom Roses is having a 15% off sale on all roses until 3/24.

Here is a link that might be useful: Heirloom Roses

o

Bluestone also has 50% off Fridays. Featuring 50 varieties for half price.
Graceful Gardens is another great place for starter plants!
I purchased quite a bit from Amanda last year and they all did very well.
Susan

o

Thu, May 22, 14 at 13:13

Bluestone Perennials is having a big end-of-season sale right now, 25-50% off. Check it out.

~Christopher

Here is a link that might be useful: Bluestone Perennials' sale

o

Heirloom has a few one sale now. Might have to pick up a cl iceberg

o

• Posted by portia PA 6B, Brandywine (My Page) on
    Thu, May 22, 14 at 14:43

I ordered from Bluestone this year and I was happy with most of my plants but have to say they sent me the most anemic tiny lavender ever! Total waste of $ on that one. Too bad you can't know what you're getting before you actually spend.

That said I still look at their 50/50 sales weekly. ;)

o

Thu, May 22, 14 at 15:32

I ordered about 100 plants from them over the course of Autumn/Winter for Spring delivery, and was very pleased with what came. A few things were tiny (maybe 5 or 6), but everything else was bursting through the coco-pots. I've found that smaller plants transplant better, and everything (including the 5 or 6 wimpy plants) has so far more than doubled in size in the month since they were planted. I've learned that they rotate things through sale prices, so when I order, I select among only the specials (unless, of course, there's a "must-have" that I don't want to miss).

~Christopher

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here