Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline9ca

Belmont Yellow

jacqueline9CA
10 years ago

Does anyone grow this found polyantha? If you do, could you please post a picture of the entire bush, and perhaps buds? There are only a very few pics of this rose on HMF, and all of them are of open blooms.

Jackie

Comments (24)

• Glenburn
    10 years ago

jacqueline3 , after looking at all the info about this I think I maybe able to help. Firstly are you a member of the RHA forum ?.
    Secondary, I think the person that posted the rose is on the RHA forum.
    If it was me I would contact them via a couple of avenues open to you. I believe the person that posted it on HMF is a person I have contacted in the recent past.

Jacqueline, you can contact me privately if you choose from memory.

Regards David.

• Brittie - La Porte, TX 9a
    10 years ago

I've been eyeballing this one also. Looks pretty from what is available on hmf.

(Edited because of autocorrect.)

This post was edited by brittie on Sun, Feb 16, 14 at 9:59

• roseseek
    10 years ago

Both Roses Unlimited and Rogue Valley list it in stock right now. I've also discovered a friend up north grows it in her garden. I've emailed her asking questions about it and drawing her attention to this thread. If and when I hear back from her, I'll be happy to report what I learn. Kim

• Glenburn
    10 years ago

Kim, check PM on RHA forum, have sent one to you.
    Regards David.

• roseseek
    10 years ago

Thanks, David. I received it and responded. Kim

• jacqueline9CA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Kim and David! I would really like to see better/ more varied pics of this rose if your friend or person at RHA can take some and send them to you.

Jackie

P.S. What is RHA?

• roseseek
    10 years ago

You're welcome Jackie. It's the Rose Hybridizers Association, linked below. I doubt the gentleman who posted the photos to HMF actually has the plant as he's in Britain. My impression is he probably took the photos while visiting here, but I could be wrong. HMF also lists that Hartwood grows Belmont Yellow so perhaps someone who is in more regular contact with Connie might email her to ask? She's likely had it longer than anyone else and might be able to make a determination of Schmidt's Smooth Yellow resembles it sufficiently. Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: RHA

• hartwood
    10 years ago

As far as I know, Belmont Yellow is still out there in the Polyantha section of my Rose Field garden. Right now, it is choked with weeds and covered with snow, and inaccessible till the weather moderates and I do what I can to deal with the weeds.

I am attaching my only photo of this rose, a flower close-up. My plant came from Roses Unlimited in the spring of 2009.

• jacqueline9CA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Connie - thank you so much! The reason Kim and I are interested is that I have another found rose which we are trying to compare with Belmont Yellow, and of course that requires either getting the plant, or at least being able to see pictures of the entire bush, buds, leaves, etc. I did not mention thorns because the one I have (which Kim has named "Schmidt's Smooth Yellow" is completely, entirely, truly thornless. I will post some pics on here of its blooms, etc. for everyone's amusement, and hope that in a few months you will be able to take some pictures of your Belmont Yellow bush and post those.

My SSY is already starting to bloom - here is a bloom after it has started fading to white, which is the closest I could find to the picture you posted.

• jacqueline9CA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a pic of SSY before it has faded to white:

• jacqueline9CA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Picture of entire bush of SSY. It is over 7-8 years old - just now beginning to bloom.

• jacqueline9CA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

SSY - here is a pic of last year's hip cluster with this year's new growth:

• jacqueline9CA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

SSY - last pic. The buds are topped with red, and have funny flat tops on them:

• roseseek
    10 years ago

I emailed Celeste Woodbury from HMF to inquire if she might be the discoverer as she'd discovered and reported on the rose "Belmont Pink Powderpuff Moss", collected from Belmont New Hampshire. There are two other "Belmont" roses listed without discoverers. Unfortunately, she isn't familiar with any of the three others, including Belmont Yellow. Two down, two more inquires to go! Compare the 'crinkled', squared off bud shape to that of Leonie Lamesch and the coloring to the images listed on HMF of Eugenie Lamesch. Kim

This post was edited by roseseek on Mon, Feb 17, 14 at 16:55

• roseybluemoon
    10 years ago

My BY was just received from RVR in Mid Jan '14. At Kim's request I pulled the frost cover and took a picture to post. To my surprise it has already begun to show new growth at the lower nodes. We've had some freezing nights and a 5" snow storm but today was 59 degrees here in Tacoma,WA! My plant is completely thornless so far but has two lovely round yellow hips. Will post more as she develops. Judy.

• roseybluemoon
    10 years ago

Somehow duped last post and can't delete - sorry. Judy.

{{!gwi}}

This post was edited by roseybluemoon on Wed, Feb 26, 14 at 23:45

• roseseek
    10 years ago

Thank you, Roseybluemoon. Interesting the hips are as similar as they are. Your new plant resembles the cuttings of Schmidt's Smooth Yellow rooting out front now. Kim

• roseybluemoon
    10 years ago

They may actually be the same. Be interesting to watch them develop. Also, interesting to know RVR's provenance.

• jacqueline9CA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Judy! I can't wait to see pictures of your rose after it has grown a bit and maybe even put out buds and blooms later in the year. It looks very happy right now -

Jackie

• roseybluemoon
    10 years ago

I'll post pics as BY develops. I'm also anxious to compare them! Judy

• buford
    10 years ago

I have Belmont Orange, is that related?

• anntn6b
    10 years ago

A number of Belmont roses were found and saved by Roses Unlimited. Some went on to assume names, but now when we still see Belmont _____ in the east it's probably one of the RU findings. A Belmont Pink was probably Queen Elizabeth and that may be the only HT they found.

Belmont Orange (IIRC) we figured out to be a poly in the Orleans group and I think it's now called Golden Salmon Superior by RU. My Golden Salmon Sup from them readily sports to other deeper red poly blooms, which fits the genesis of that group of polys. (See Roses of the World in color.)

I have grown Belmont Yellow from RU for over a decade. I expect RVV got theirs from Ashdown when they bought out Ashdown's stock at the bankruptcy.

My Belmont Yellows stayed short, with wonderful shiny foliage. I had one single bloom sport back to a single and mine seldom made fertile hips. The major difference, though, is that mine never ever were the clear yellow buds nor did they bloom yellow and fade. Mine, color wise, reminded me often of the small gardenia blooms that we see so often as pot plants in the spring. Rich cream fading to paler cream.

• roseseek
    10 years ago

If RU collected and named the "Belmont" roses, it would be great if they, or someone who had the official information would please post it to HMF on those rose pages. Celeste Woodbury is listed as the Belmont Pink Powderpuff Moss discoverer, which is why I emailed her to find out if she was connected with the other Belmonts. She said she wasn't, but the RU attribution should be put there if it is "official". Kim

• roseseek
    10 years ago

I have heard back from "a_rose_man" from HMF who posted the original photos of Belmont Yellow. If he recalls correctly, he received the photos from someone else when he inquired about the rose as he found its description interesting. Back in 2012, I contacted Cliff from Eurodesert to inquire about it as I had also found it interesting. He forwarded my email to the person who bought his plant of it. She emailed me in response then, saying as it matured, she would check back in. As it's been at least a year, I've followed up on that email and am awaiting a response. So, that's where we stand on this so far. Kim