Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_8959062

just being greedy now

User
10 years ago

Yes, I could wait and do cuttings.....or I could just think 'sod it, it has been a dreary winter, time for a last minute shopping spree'. I know my idea of a 'spree' is probably laughable to some but nonetheless, I ordered an alba semi-plena and a Nevada to open the woodland. Right at the entrance, where a rather stunning betula septentrionalis and the dainty prunus subhirtella autumnalis, stand in a huge clump of white foxgloves, these two roses are going to welcome people into the woods. There is a Paul's Himalayan Musk already winding its way up the poplars, amongst the soloman's seal, various umbels and pale aconitums. I have a vision in my head, if not yet in actuality.

Oh yeah, a couple of geums, a pale trollius (ho, I have wanted these forever) and 'Crystal Lake geranium are on their way.

Oh yes, I am getting my rose dose after all!!!

Comments (8)

• fig_insanity Z7b E TN
    10 years ago

Oh, Camp, if you have Nevada, you have to get Marguerite Hiilling (a sport of Nevada) as well. They are BOTH among the great sights to see in the rose world, and I know you're a fan of pretty stamens. In MH they look like a pom pom of 24k gold nestled in the center. MH is one of the few roses to survive the last two h*** years (a story for another thread; I think I'll call it "whine and roses"), because it is so vigorous it just overcame all the adversity thrown at it.

If *I* can't have the rose garden I want, I want my favorite people to have it! lol.

John

Here is a link that might be useful: Marguerite Hilling

• mendocino_rose
    10 years ago

Well it sounds just lovely to me. Go right ahead and order those roses and enjoy them. You deserve it.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Margaret Hilling - You bet! A gorgeous rose. No limits on the size of roses anymore so I am going to be gluttonous with enormous rampaging shrubs, massive ramblers and endless twining ayreshires....and the whole moyesii tribe, I hope. I am afraid to say that size matters. Perhaps it is a consequence of being a short woman (5feet) but I have always gone for the giants of the plant world. Huge swaying perennials, enormous shrubs, gigantic trees......although I can swing the other way too with tiny jewel alpines....but in general, I like them big!

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    10 years ago

Your wood (or my image of it) is one of my happy places I have been visiting during this dreadful winter. Is there a hope in Hades for some photos?
    Thanks.
    Susan

• daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres
    10 years ago

Your entrance to your wood is going to be very romantic.
    I used to grow Nevada. Loved it to bits.
    Are you going to send some pale clematis or honeysuckle up into the trees as well?
    Daisy

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I certainly hope so, Daisy. Those huge C.flammula types and hopefully, C.campaniflora (one for you, surely).....not to mention letting the japanese honeysuckle have its head (the scent!!)

All very green and white.

Your old part of the world has been severely battered (the south-west) - bet you are not missing it. So far, we are escaping the very worst in East Anglia although there has been no let up on winds. Am becoming blase about tree fall.

• daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres
    10 years ago

Brilliant! I love Clematis flammula, it is so frothy.
    That one comes from southern Europe too, so I wonder whether it would overwhelm my little pomegranate tree?
    Don't forget Clematis viticella alba luxurians. That would fit in with your colour scheme too.

I hope you grow the rambling rose Adelaide d'Orleans in your wood. I had it in my garden in Cornwall. It is soooo pretty. It holds it's flowers, so that you can look up into them. It has a quality about it, that makes it stand out from the crowd.
    Daisy

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh yes, Adelaide d'Orleans - I certainly have been looking hard at that one - all the sempervirens in fact. I feel I can finally indulge in those huge ramblers which were verboten, even on the allotment. I love the alba viticella too (those leafy tips to the tepals (sepals?). I have the purpurea (plena elegans) which does that green thing, at the start of the blooming season.....I find it charming.
    Growing in a wood removes all guilt about chaos, weeds, disorder - I have been tramping about attempting a clear-up at the allotment....and very demoralising and overwhelming it is too - mainly grasses, which invade everything. Because it is an allotment, and not a formal garden, I have gotten away with untidiness and weeds but now I have moved up (or down) the garden space scale, I can be relaxed and accepting instead of beating myself up for failing to have a beautiful and harmonious plot (like yours!).

I see ferneries and stumperies in my future.....maybe even gunnera......but no hostas.