Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jerome_gw

Dames de Chenonceau

jerome
12 years ago

Just a quick plug for this rose. It's amazing...I wish I could make a hedge of it somewhere. The blooms are magnificent and of the same color complexity as, say, M. Tillier. It has a beautiful shape, even as a young plant (the one here went in as a gallon plant in March of 2011) and I love the fragrance. I don't have a picture yet, but will post one when it goes into spring bloom. If you have room - get this rose.

Comments (32)

• annabeth
    12 years ago

The name intrigues me. I have a book on Castles and Chenonceau is my favorite one in France, being built like a bridge over the River Cher. The historical "Dames" put in quite beautiful gardens, too.

I just looked up the rose on HMF and it is very pretty. It doesn't look like it will get very big, which can be useful. How did you find this one? I've never heard of it before.

Annabeth

• jerome
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I love Pat Henry at Roses Unlimited, and often, when placing an order, I'll ask her, "Pat,could you please recommend something nice or just send me something...." She has always replied, and that way I've gotten Dames de Chenonceau as well as other great roses like Lemon Spice, Versigny and Roberto Capucci - to name a few. And that's how I got it. It's still young here, having gone in last March. I could see it getting to be about 4 or 5 feet in time, depending on how I prune it. It's a great rose.

• rosefolly
    12 years ago

It does look very pretty on HMF. I love that globular rose form.

Rosefolly

• jerome
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It's also extremely fragrant, fruit and myrrh. The color in real life is complex - a lot like a paler Mons. Tillier.

• nastarana
    12 years ago

Two people are growing it in Moscow!

Maybe this one is not just for CA.

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

I like the form and color too. Thanks for the tip!

• cath41
    12 years ago

One of the Dames de Chenonceau was Diane de Poitiers, mistress to two kings of France, father and son, Francis I and Henry II. She was an interesting and accomplished woman.

Cath

• phoebe
    12 years ago

Cath, thank you for the reminder, I love history, and especially that time period. I have read that she was a vegetarian, drank only water, and made cookies.

I was wondering if the Dames were just the two, Diane, and Catherine de Medici. But get thee to Wiki, and the whole of it is soon apparent!

I did see one reference to Mary Queen of Scots, but didn't verify if she actually lived there...my scullery duties await!

Here is a link that might be useful: Chenonceau's webpage

• Cori Ann - H0uzz violated my privacy
    7 years ago

Jerome... I know this is an old post but I wanted to inquire about how your Dames de Chenonceau rose is currently doing. Do you have any photos? I'm in zone 9b in Norcal so your conditions may be similar to mine. I really love the look of this rose, as well as your high recommendation. Also...I'm having a hard time imagining the fragrance listed on HMF. It says "anise, citrus, fruity fragrance." I'm having difficulty imagining fruity, lemony, licorice. Fragrance is subjective and personal.... but how would you describe it? Or anyone else who grows Dames de Chenonceau? Please feel free to chime in. I would greatly appreciate it! Thank you!

• jannorcal
    7 years ago

I don't think that Father Jerome is as active on Garden Web as in the past. He signed off Facebook as well a few years ago. His duties at the monastery where he lives and teaches were getting more involved and as a result he stepped back from some of his online engagement.

The garden at the abbey at St Michaels near Irvine is spectacular, I last visited him in August 2012, I am sure the garden is even more glorious now. The photo below is from mid Aug 2012 and shows only a small number of the roses he grows, they are spread throughout the abbey grounds.

7 years ago

Thank you so much for the info Jan!

• jerijen
    7 years ago

And we do miss Fr. Jerome. Every so often, I hear from him . . .

• jerome
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Oh! I am so sorry for not responding to this earlier. I rarely come on here anymore. It isn't because my interests have shifted, but because other duties keep me hopping. I did drop Facebook as well, so I'm a lot less online connected than I used to be.

To answer the fragrance question: Ok...this is not the fancy "anise, fruity...etc" description you get on the commercials - to me DdC smells like "Juicy Fruit" chewing gum! I like it a lot, don't get me wrong, but it's a strange smell. Not bad strange, just "oh, I didn't expect that from a rose" strange. Hope this helps.

The PermaDrought here has not helped the gardens. Obviously, we use irrigation, but have tried to cut back to do our part in conservation. There have been a few casualties among the more thirsty divas. Dames de Chenonceau is not one of them. It continues on, seems like a tough rose here.

I don't have any recent photos, nor will I take one right now, because the place doesn't look great. If we get decent rains this season, I'll try to take a photo.

I would still recommend this rose highly.

Jerome

7 years ago

Thank you so much Jerome! It sounds like you're missed! I left facebook as well years ago so I understand. It's amazing how much extra time I have to do other things when I'm not connected to social media. I just found gardenweb though so I'm not giving that up yet! :)

The fragrance description of Juicy Fruit makes A LOT more sense to me than "anise, citrus, fruity" fragrance so thank you! I also really like hearing that it is holding up well in the "permadrought." Sounds perfect for me! Thank you for taking the time to respond and for your recommendation. ;)

• Rosefolly
    7 years ago

Jeri is right, Fr. Jerome. We do miss you here! Glad to hear you are doing well. No doubt getting ready to move to the new location one of these days.

Rosefolly

• mzstitch
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Here's mine from this summer. It's not a well rounded plant, as you can see it can be a bit of an octopus letting out long lengths of branches, but they are sturdy, and as you can see in the photo its still beautiful as the branch stands straight then arches as it grows and its covered with bloom. Becoming a real favorite of mine! My plant is about 3 years old. Let me add the pole in the way is not holding up the plant in any way, its just there because I am putting up fencing to keep my hound dog out!

• Lisa Adams
    7 years ago

What a lovely Rose! So romantic looking. I wonder if it does well in a dry heat climate? Lisa

7 years ago

According to Fr Jerome it was very drought tolerant and did well in the heat... which is one of the main deciding factors that prompted me to buy three. :) They're arriving from Roses Unlimited soon. I'm 9b in a hot/dry climate. I can let you know how mine does once it arrives and gets established. :)

• Lisa Adams
    7 years ago

Great, Cori Ann, I'll look forword to it! Thank you. Lisa

• jerome
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Ok...Jerome here...with some full bush shots of DdC from a few minutes ago. It gets bigger and bigger each year. Has not flushed yet, but covered with buds. It wants to be a very large, bushy rose here in SoCal.

It would be easily over 4' high, I think.

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    6 years ago

Gorgeous bush! Looks glowingly healthy!

6 years ago

Wow thank you so much for the full bush photos Jerome! Very helpful! Mine are all just baby bands, but have lots of buds. I have two growing on obelisk trellises and one growing on its own. Looks like they won't need the support, but it will be fun to weave them through the obelisk just for looks. Here's a photo of one of my youngsters. They're a little over a foot tall so far. This one has about 10 buds.

And here's some photos of a little hoverfly larvae eating the aphids of DdC. :-) Just for fun...

• jerome
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks for your kind comments, all! I don't know about it climbing, frankly. We have kept it pruned like you'd prune an Austin rose. Maybe it could climb...

I will post full bush shots when it flushes, if I remember.

• jerome
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Here is a closeup a bush shot.

• jerome
    Original Author
    6 years ago

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    6 years ago

How beautiful, Jerome. Keep posting these gorgeous photos, please. Diane

jerome thanked nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
  • jerome
    Original Author
    6 years ago

6 years ago

Jerome your photos are my inspiration for buying Dames de Chenonceau! Mine are budding. The buds are plump with nice sepals... for those that like that sort of thing like I do. :-)

jerome thanked Cori Ann - H0uzz violated my privacy
  • Barbara Price
    last year

There’s a wonderful movie called “The Rose Maker” on Netflix and the scent is described as citrus with leather.

• erasmus_gw
    last year

A few blooms from mine:

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    last year

There is also a book "Killed by Roses" Mishima that is a photography book. Variously $5,000 or $6,000. Too high end for me.