Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alameda_gw

Fish Meal/Fish Emulsion, Kelp/Seaweed

Is there a difference between the dry fish meal and concentrate fish emulsion? What about kelp and seaweed fertilizer [like Maxi-Crop]? Are these two the same or different? I would appreciate some enlightenment on how to use these fertilizers. I don't understand exactly what they do, when the roses need them or how to use them. Appreciate any insight!
Judith

Comments (5)

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    10 years ago

I'm not sure about nutrient content, but for me, it will depend on how you want to use it. If you don't mind spreading dry fish meal on your flower beds (where it can get eaten up in the middle of the night when critters come out), then go for it. I like the idea of diluting something stinky and possibly considered edible by big critters into water so that it sort of "melts" into the soil. If you're using fish meal mixed into the soil, then I guess that gets rid of the "critters eating it" problem.

Oh, and by "critters" I'm thinking of cats, rats, opossums, etc. I realize that "tiny critters" like bugs and microscopic organisms will be eating it regardless -- but they don't really dig up my flower beds in the process.

:-)

~Christopher

• jjstatz
    10 years ago

I personally like to use fish/seaweed emulsion and blend in neem oil with an emulsifier (cheap soap). Neptune's harvest - which I personally prefer as it is a cold process type (retaining the moist micro/macros) and the least offensive smell. It's 2-3-1, but the thing is, you'll be applying it more often. It's also (supposedly) absorbed more effectively.

I, personally, once a week mix up a tablespoon of neem oil with an emulsifier (I use dr. bronner's soap unscented), I generally use a tablespoon or less. I then mix in an 1/8 cup of fish/sea weed emulsion. This is then mixed into a gallon of water and I use it as a soak/spray for all my plants once a week. Usually late in the day towards sunset or first thing in the morning. I don't advise doing in the morning because the risk of photo-toxicity.

I like the effect of neem mixed with it because it provides a harmful insecticidal defense as well as a pathogen defense and seems to keep the critters away from the otherwise tempting scent of fish emulsion.

Here is a link that might be useful: more info than you can shake a stick at on the full nutrient profile of fish emulsion

• jjstatz
    10 years ago

Working out is to gatorade as fish emulsion is to gardening.

I say that, but what I mean is you can't think of it as being like regular chemical fertilizer. It is not a large dose of a concentrated group of macros. It's more like a daily multivitamin that is given to your plants more often than the traditional dosing of fertilizers.

As with any fertilizer I'd back off towards the end of the growing season so your plant goes into dormancy, also - I'd say biweekly applications would be fine as a foliar drench or a soil drench. And I also wanted to say, using neem is not essential, but I personally love it. Ahisma alternative is a great source for neem oil and products and michael phillips is a great recourse on its use and advantages.

Here is a link that might be useful: neem info

This post was edited by jjstatz29 on Mon, Feb 3, 14 at 14:39

• hummersteve
    7 years ago

For those who like to foliar spray best time is early morning almost before the sun is up or at least before 8am. It is at this coolest time of day that the "stomata" pores are open and can accept any kind of nutrients. Otherwise and most any other time is a waste. Read up on it and you will see.

As for fish emulsion I added some a couple of nights ago as a root drench and I swear the next morning I could see a difference in my matos that I had not seen previously. I have ordered some maxicrop liquid seaweed powder and will next add fish emulsion, kelp, and molasses to the mix.

• Tim Gustafson
    last year

Will this work for potted plants

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!