Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My roses from EuroDesert came back!

Posted by ogrose 8 DFW (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 5, 12 at 16:53

Last spring I ordered a number of roses from Cliff; they didn't arrive until it was in the 100's here. Some never missed a beat, but Westerland and LaMarne just never did anything, and I figured the weather did them in, but went ahead and left them in the ground, not due to my astuteness, more like laziness! I'm so glad I did, both are back, barely, but with some care I feel they'll do just fine, hopefully they'll be strong enough to withstand our heat this summer. A few still haven't shown anything, but am not ready to give up quite yet!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My roses from EuroDesert came back!

Hi ogrose: Please post a picture of Westerland and LaMarne. They both are mentioned so often that I would like to know more. Please inform. Thanks.

o

That's wonderful! Roses are tough!

o

Strawberry Hill, I can't post pictures at this point, but look them up on HelpMeFind, they will give you pictures and good information! I had them in my main bed in back as storage until my large flowerbed got finished, but have decided to leave until they show some real growth.

Yes, to me, this is testament to how tough our roses are!!

o

Thank you, ogrose, for your post on LaMarne and Westerland. I checked LaMarne in HMF and fell in love with its flower. LaMarne has no thorns, right?

I am pleasantly surprised that it's more hardy than listed zone 7b, with reports in zone 5, and lasts long as cut flower. I'm always amazed at tough roses that tolerate both extreme heat, and my extreme cold zone 5a.

o

Glad to hear it all worked out well for you. Westerland is a workhorse in my garden.

Rosefolly

o

Strawberryhill, La Marne does have thorns. But it's nothing compared to Westerland whose thorns look vicious! Don't have any idea how old Westerland is, but the cut back canes were darn near 2 inches thick.

o

• Posted by seil z6 MI (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 6, 12 at 15:44

Lol, Westerland's thorns are legendary! But I like to remember these two favorite quotes about roses.

"Who reaches with a clumsy hand for a rose must not complain if the thorns scratch" - Heindrich Heine

and

"Some people are always grumbling that roses have thorns; I am thankful that thorns have roses." - Alphonse Karr

o

Wait Cliff? Cliff Orent? We can order from him??

o
RE: nevermind...

I see the nursery has closed, sadly..

o

Yes, unfortunately he has a blood disease, and had to get out of the business. There was a time period last spring that we could order, and wanting to help, I ordered a few roses from him.

They didn't arrive until the weather here was miserable, and you could tell some of them were HUGE, but most of them made it quite well which certainly speaks well of their packing and shipping, I certainly was impressed! A few just didn't make it at all, but I figured that was to be expected. Our weather is pretty darn harsh come summer, so...

o

Ogrose, Are those roses sprouting new basals, or is the new growth appearing on the existing canes?

I'm curious because quite a number of my EuroDesert roses, like yours, did absolutely nothing after being planted. I was planning to dig and toss them at pruning time this year -- maybe I'll wait long enough to see if any of them show signs of life come spring.

o

I didn't realize Cliff was sick, what sad news...

o

Windeaux, the LaMarne is growing both from the old canes and getting new basals, Westerland is just getting one new cane. I had one rose that took off just fine after getting it in the ground, then just died. I have a couple more that have not shown anything at all, but like you, am hoping...

o

Spring isn't quite here yet, and some of Cliff's roses still have lots of leaves. It's too bad to hear that some of us have lost roses this fall, it was a hard drought; we had temps to 115F for days, the overnights were in the 80's, and no real rain. We lost some new magnolia trees and maybe some hostas, and I did lose some of his roses when late spring the temps suddenly dropped back to freezing, and then a few more when the heat shot up again way too quickly.

I wish he were still in business, last year was my first year to start buying roses, it was amazing to be able to receive fully grown roses instead of waiting for small newly rooted plants to gain maturity, his roses have a better chances of survival here on my rock pile.

You could count me in as one of the doubtful, I didn't think you could have anything survive transplanting in such hot weather, but after reading the posts at GW and Cliff's newsletters I set any worries aside and kept on buying roses for the rest of the year.

His experiences moving whole nurseries in the middle of summer, growing roses in his very hot desert climate, losing very few roses by shading them shaded was inspiring. Getting them planted right away, and keeping them moist until their roots were well established was key so the roses would survive.

Connie Hartwood of Hartwood Roses in Virginia wrote up a very informative blog entry on how Cliff packaged his roses; her blog helped us to understand that the roses being sent out they were live fresh green growing roses, ready to be set out as transplants, even though they came by mail.

They were right, I thought a few weeks of watering would be enough to get them started growing roots again, thinking that summer thunderstorms would finally come, but when rain never came I had to stay with it all season long. Even with all the watering I was surprised that roses are so drought tolerant. It was worth it to see so many blooms in the fall, just beautiful. (I wished I had taken photos.)

I only shaded a few roses because we have so many trees, but I've read that you can just about anything to shade new plants. Lawn chairs, tents of made of packing boxes, old tarps, or sheets.

Here, in the Upper South, overhead watering is needed in hot dry part of the summer. I knew that plants start to shut down when it gets above 80F. Water keeps the soil, and air cooler, and since it was so dry, I didn't have any problem with blackspot. I didn't have problems burning the leaves with water drops when I watered the roses morning, and afternoon, but I did made sure they were dry before sundown.

Cliff said it best in his end of the season newsletter, it was a LOT OF WORK but he was happy with the outcome, getting as many roses as possible to as many people as they could.

He bravely started digging our roses by individual orders, but when we swamped him, he needed our help and some of us volunteered their help to pitch in. He also had to hire at two other men so our orders could be sent out faster and get everyone out of the heat.

With sadness, Cliff offered and replaced plants early on in the growing season when the weather was still bearable-before we knew the summer was going to be one of the worst in history. Even though he wanted to continue and go that extra step and replace any lost roses, he needed to pay bills like the rest of us, and he gave us the choice to decide what was the best for our situation.

In one newsletter Cliff wrote about the San Jose Heritage Rose Garden receiving 100+ roses from people when their gardens were too full to purchase any more roses, and Cliff also returned that generous appreciation by donating many more roses to the San Jose Heritage Rose Garden. They said only one rose failed to leaf out!

When I found out that he had to disband and sell his property due to health reasons through these posts and his newsletters, it was hard to read that another fine man had to set aside something he loved dearly.

His big thank you to us in his wrap-up newsletter was very good to read. He was thankful for all the good wishes and letters of encouragement sent his way while he disbanded his nursery. It was great to read that he sounded so much better, and with a job well done, he sounded ready to take on other mountains.

He loved seeing people happy, his greatest gift was to give a rose or a bouquet of beautiful roses to make their day better.

And while we receive the best of all his hard work, we in turn can take care of our roses so we can give a gift of a rose or two, and make someone's day more beautiful for many many years to come.

Cliff's list of roses is still at Helpmefind.com, you can see the HUGE number of roses he was able to grow.

And even though his nursery is now closed, you can find other nurseries all over the United States trying very hard to grow wonderful roses, and give great customer service.

(HMF is a great tool to research roses, while some of it can be used for free, it's only $24 per year.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Cliff's Rose List at HelpMeFind

o

Hi Phoebe, what a nice post regarding Cliff! I think the last thing on our minds were getting replacements, it was mostly to try to help out someone who has a great love of roses and has added so much to our lives; like so many of us, it's almost like family! When I have needed help in health issues I've been so fortunate to receive support and help.

o

La Marne is a nice rose, grows well with wonderful sprays. Have won several trophies at rose shows in the past for Polyantha sprays. La Marne does have a good vase life. I bought 7 roses from Cliff this past summer (100 degree days), they were sent bare root to maryland, planted them and watered, watered and watered. They all survived, put out new canes and bloomed. Very pleased with the roses Cliff sent. Hope he is doing well and wish him good health!

o

I am in a hot desert climate something like Cliff's. Last spring I ordered one of his roses as he was closing the nursery. It was too late to plant for my climate, but I planted and watered it well. It bloomed for a period of time and then unfortunately died over our hot summer.

I ordered 2 more "closing" roses early this fall. They both leafed out quickly and bloomed profusely. Although they are still leafed out, I have not noticed any new basals on them. I am hoping hoping they will survive my summer since I planted them in early fall. Both are old hybrid teas and wonderful roses.

Good luck with yours this summer.

o

Hi Jaspermplants, I had kind of the same situation; one of my plants started out well, and, seemingly for no reason, died. I was diligent about the watering; sometimes wondered if I watered too much! I'm not moving the roses that have "come back" this year, just leaving them where they are to see how they do...

o

Thank you ogrose, it's good to have support when we need it. It was great that so many of us were there for Cliff, it is indeed like family around here.

It's tough to take when your efforts don't work out, you think it's going great, and then nothing, I don't know if it's the rose not liking your weather, or you overwatering it, but it's always great to hear of someone's roses doing well.

I don't know that much about basel growth, but I'm hoping too that keeping the plant alive in hot weather must be a good start. There is that saying about perennials that the first year they sleep, the second year they creep, and the third year they leap, so I'll go with that.

o

I ordered a Red Intuition from the Euro Desert stock sent to Vintage. Very nice band and produced a few of the huge florist blooms that RI is known for. It never went completely dormant this winter. I have high hopes that it will grow well this year.

o

Were all of them own root?

o

All of the roses propagated at EuroDesert and sold by Cliff, or later supplied by Vintage, were on their own roots.

There were probably own-roots among the roses in Cliff's vast collection, but many of them were grafted. I think all of the "mother" plants he shipped to me during his closeout sale are grafted.

o

That's what I thought, jaxondel. I wonder which group the initiator of this post was writing about . . . because that could explain a lot about this surprising resurrection of the seemingly dead.

o

• Posted by phoebe z 5/6 Midwest (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 24, 12 at 12:52

So far everything has buds along the canes, but it's too soon in my area to give the "all clear"-it is supposed to be in the low 20's tonight.

About half of the roses I purchased were grafted, and the polyantha were not. Some of the roses seemed to have smaller root systems than what was probably safe, but I figured with good care they would get through the winter just fine. I just planted the roses according to my zone, and was expecting the worst since it seems drought years men very cold winters. I'll just deal with suckers as they arise.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here