Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunnysideuphill

Charles de Mills - size?

sunnysideuphill
13 years ago

Anyone grow this in Zone 5? How tall? Plenty of room if he wants to spread, but I'd like to see at least four feet in height.

Comments (16)

• mariannese
    13 years ago

Mine is next to a trellis, a trellis meant for a clematis but Chuck took advantage of it and is 6 ft tall. It suckers wildly and the new plants far away from the trellis are much shorter, a little over 4 ft. I am in a similar climate but a different continent.

• olga_6b
    13 years ago

It also depends on own root or grafted. CdM on multiflora from Pickering is mannerly approx 5x5 or 6x6 bush, depending on how and when you prune it. CdM own root suckers like crazy and will be not so tall, but as wide as you allow it. Can take the whole yard, if you are not proactive :)
    Olga

• User
    13 years ago

Olga ain't kidding; I have one specimen that has been allowed to spread as it wishes and merge with other Gallicas nearby. It is now a colony about twenty feet by fifteen feet and it continues to spread. Just something to consider. And yes, it should easily rest at a mature height of between four and five feet tall in most locations. It is truly one of the best of its clan and not to be missed.

• User
    13 years ago

In case you had any doubts about getting it:
    {{gwi:231523}}

• organicgardendreams
    13 years ago

Paul, your photo of Charles de Milles is to die for! The color is soo... unique and beautiful and the bloom form very lovely as well. Unfortunately this is a rose that I most likely can not grow here in San Diego?! I assume, that the climate is just too hot for any Gallica. I wish someone could proof me wrong!

Christina

Here is a link that might be useful: Organic Garden Dreams.

• sunnysideuphill
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yikes, perhaps the grafted one is the way to go.....Although on the other hand, there is nothing behind this bordering-the-driveway rose bed except daylilies on the slope behind the roses, steeply dropping to the leach field below. The slope is at least 15 feet to the field. And the daylilies are all moving to become the border around the raised veggie beds....so maybe CdeM could eventually cover that slope! I'd just have to be on the alert for suckers moving sideways into Alba and the Polareis....And that photo is the color I want for contrast - it seems like a very dark gallica.

• mariannese
    13 years ago

My Charles de Mills is grafted, like most roses in commerce in Europe. But we plant deep so many roses develop their own roots above the graft. CdM and Belle de Crecy are the worst offenders among my gallicas. Put up some kind of barrier against the albas and Polareis, one foot deep should be more than enough.

• professorroush
    13 years ago

Size in Zone 5; 3.5-4 foot tall in my garden. And, as others have said, ....spreading...not that I care!

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Musings blog

• Jason_D_B
    12 years ago

I'm going to buy this rose, but don't know if it will bloom in my climate... does anyone grow this rose in Florida or south Georgia with success (which means blooms)?
    -Jason

• roseseek
    12 years ago

Jason, I grew it in Granada Hills, CA and had it four years before digging it out (all over the yard) and dumping it. I traveled from Los Angeles all the way up to Garberville in the northern end of the State to retrieve it from Greenmantle (wonderful source, BTW!) along with Camieux and Cardinal de Richelieu. The ONLY way Charles gave ANY flowers for me was for me to pack him in ice several times each winter. It just wasn't worth it. Richelieu, on the other hand, flowered each year without issue. Camieux died on me, three times, before I gave up. IF you can make de Mills happy, he's gorgeous, but if you haven't the winter chill, don't count on any flowers. Kim

• Jason_D_B
    12 years ago

Thanks Kim, too bad its already in the mail....
    Looks like a lot of trouble to get it to bloom. Maybe if I pot it up in a very large pot so the winter 'chill',if you could call it that, can get to it easier.
    Anyhow, I'm going to try it and report my findings (which most likely wont be good)...
    -Jason

• rosefolly
    12 years ago

I would not be surprised to learn that NE Florida gets more winter chill than southern California. I would go with the pot, though. I've never heard of gallicas being resistant to Florida's nematodes.

You'd probably need to repot it every few years. It suckers and would fill up the available space in the pot.

I would enjoy hearing how it turns out for you.

Rosefolly

• roseseek
    12 years ago

Who knows? Perhaps the nematodes might prevent Gallicas from eating Florida? :) Heaven knows, adobe clay didn't prevent them from trying to colonize Southern California! Kim

• Jason_D_B
    12 years ago

LOL! Thanks for the tips and comments. I can't wait till it comes.
    I didn't think about it suckering in the pot... that wont be much of an issue with a forty pound clay pot :) but I've got a small garden and sometimes I have to invent things to do (especially in winter).
    I asume, if all goes well, my family would like some of those suckers when they see the thorns and thicket... maybe.
    Thanks again,
    -Jason

• jumbojimmy
    12 years ago

Does anybody know roughly how long the blooms lasted for? Would you say three weeks or a month? It seems that my Felicite Parmentier (Alba) rose flowers longer than Duchess de Montebello (a gallica).

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES