Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jerome_gw

For you: which is the most floriferous Austin?

jerome
16 years ago

Hi everyone,

Was looking through David Austin's most recent beautiful book yesterday...They have a photo from the "Renaissance Garden" there, by the canal, and there is a light pink rose, literally smothered in bloom, not to be believed. Unfortunately, they don't note what the varieties are in the picture. So...in your garden, what is the most floriferous Austin? I guess we could divide it into categories: what has the heaviest flushes? What gives most continuous production of blooms? Is there any variety that combines both?

Thanks for your input.

Jerome

Comments (56)

• cupshaped_roses
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

In my gardens the most Floriferous Austin are (2 big flushes and never without flowers even in between):

Scepter'd Isle
    Heritage
    Glamis Castle
    John Clare
    Christopher Marlowe
    Jubilee Celebration
    Sweet Juliet

Other really great producers of flowers are (In my shorter, growing season this far north they bloom in 2 distinct flushes... they cannot make 3 like Glamis Castle and Sweet Juliet):

Alnwick Castle
    The Pilgrim
    Crocus Rose
    Charles Austin
    Charlotte
    Grace
    William Shakespeare 2000
    Eglantyne
    Abraham Darby
    Golden Celebration
    Sharifa Asma
    Teasing Georgia
    Prospero
    Crown Princess Margaretha

Teasing Georgia and William Shakespeare is remarkable in that they produce more flowers in the 2. flush than in their first!

Some Austins have a really impressive first flush with a smaller second flush:

Gertrude Jekyll
    Barbara Austin
    Benjamin Britten
    Brother Cadfael
    Leander
    Spirit of Freedom
    Portmeiron
    James Galway

Austins that do not do well here is:

The Prince
    Tradescant
    L.D. Braithwaite
    Fair Bianca

• the_dark_lady
    16 years ago

Jerome,
    In my garden 'Crocus Rose' is a top performer (and I grow a little bit over 120 varieties of David Austin roses), also St. Cecilia is a wonderful one.
    To my surprise, Rose-Marie (a white sport of 'Heritage') is a steady generous bloomer.
    William Shakespeare 2000 is also very free blooming.
    I don't know if it depends on the conditions or the particular specimen (or both).....

• gnabonnand
    16 years ago

I only have two Austin roses, but Heritage is the super-star in the floriferous category. It never stops, spring through first freeze. And I am thrilled that its cuttings root easily.

Randy

• mendocino_rose
    16 years ago

I see Austins as roses that rest between blooms. Here out of the ones that I grow I wouldn't call any of them constant bloomers. I don't have a problem with that but I do see it that way.

• jerome
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for all this fabulous feedback. I appreciate it a lot. Pam, I agree with you (for the varieties I have here anyway, only about 12 or so) except that for me here, Glamis Castle really does flower a lot. Even though it does bloom in flushes, when it is 'on', it is really pretty much smothered with bloom, very pretty.

Randy, Heritage looks really pretty, and I have enjoyed all the images you post of yours.

Dark Lady, Crocus Rose is very beautiful. I have only seen it once, when visiting family in Illinois, but thought it was something else. I am beginning to like what Austin calls the "hybrid musk" line of his roses a lot.

Niels, thanks for your input. I have the same results as you with Glamis Castle. James Galway is a rose that has always attracted me, and I was glad to hear you mention it.

Silverkelt and Ann, Anne Boleyn looks wonderful. I have never seen it around here.

Jeri, I have about 3 GC's and you are right, they are winners here. Mine are only 2-3 years old, and I did not prune heavy this winter, so I am thinking that we're going to get a pretty spectacular spring flush. The rains this winter helped too...last year was ghastly with only 3" of rain.

Rideau Rose Lad, I am so happy you mentioned Teasing Georgia! I was given one this year and ordered another, so I am hoping they do well. The pictures of it look so wonderful. I have Charles Darwin, and love the fragrance, and yes it blooms a lot here too, and is really short. As a matter of fact, I didn't prune it this season, and am going to feed it tons, because it is so shrimpy (like my Abe Darbys)

Luanne, wonderful picture of GC. I have always wanted Redouté, and am glad to hear you like it.

Thanks everyone. I am glad I started this thread.

Jerome

• carla17
    16 years ago

Silverkelt, what lovely pictures. Thank you for posting a rose that you and Ann like a lot, you enabler you.

Carla

• olga_6b
    16 years ago

For me the most floriferous Austin is Abraham Darby. Flush after flush and all very heavy. But I have a good clone, I think.
    {{gwi:231666}}
    Olga

• Krista_5NY
    16 years ago

In my garden, the most floriferous are Eglantyne and Sharifa Asma, both in terms of the June flush and repeat bloom.

James Galway and Mortimer Sackler are fairly new to the garden, they might be as floriferous when they mature.

Elgantyne

{{gwi:217749}}

{{gwi:231667}}

Sharifa Asma

{{gwi:205469}}

• kellion
    16 years ago

For me, Redoute and Anne Boleyn. Redoute is first and last to bloom. I have it in a pot in my cold greenhouse here in Philadelphia, and it already has two buds.

• ceterum
    16 years ago

Olga, where did you get your A. Darby? Next year I will replace the two I have and Intend to get one good one. Is yours grafted, if yes, what rootstock? If not where did you get this rose own root?

Ann, What is the story with Ann Boleyn and balling? I dared not get this rose because I assumed it would ball all the time in my coastal climate.

As to the best blooming Austins in my yard, the most floriferous were or are those that are not my favorites:
    Gamis Castle - horrible blackspot so it is gone
    Ambridge rose- excellent repeat I am not fond of the fragrance
    Heritage - blooms all the time but flowers shatter in minutes

Geoff Hamilton is a good bloomer in my yard but repeat is not so fast as in case of Ambridge
    I love Sharifa but my clone from Wayside isn't a very producticve rose; I intend to get a new one next year from Pickering

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    16 years ago

In my garden it is 'Molineux' which is continuous, all the time, rather than in flushes. Some others are very good as well, Sophy's Rose a very close 2nd, Abe Darby, Ambridge Rose, WS2K, Tamora, Jubilee Celebration, Golden Celebration, but Molineux is the clear winner.

• anntn6b
    16 years ago

Anne Bolyns have not balled for me, and that includes some summers when we've had humidity (For those who don't know, my gardens are within a tenth of a mile of the Holston River in two directions, and we have heavy fog/mist/dew many, many days, to the extent that some of our metal patio furniture and guttering has lichens growing on them.)
    James Galway was excellent here; mine got RRD and there is a void there.

Let me warn you that there are bad clones of Glamis Castle and Heritage and Sharifa and Abraham Darby out there; I've grown them (some from Park/Wayside, Heritage from J&P) and with Sharifa, there were seldom blooms, with GC, it was declines in two years, etc. These were in the same beds as the good ones now grow in.) Know your seller, and avoid sellers who might be growing cuttings from the same source as mine came from.)

• mike_rivers
    16 years ago

Silverkilt mentioned that Anne Bolyn blows quickly. Ann, can we get your comments on the individual flower life of Anne Bolyn?

• gnabonnand
    16 years ago

Ceterum, your Heritage blooms shatter "in minutes"? That would mean that as soon as the bloom opens, it immediately shatters its petals to the ground. Even in the heat of summer, mine last two days on the bush. What could be the difference between yours & mine, I wonder? It definitely is not a long lasting bloom by any means ... but shattering in "minutes"?

Randy

• anntn6b
    16 years ago

I've never noticed individual flowers. If I were the king of roses, I'd characterize roses by individual blooms versus cluster flower. And I do choose my rebuys often based on production of cluster flowers especially where they are visible at the front of the house and where I can see them.
    Anne stays loaded with flowers for at least two weeks and then I guess it self cleans because it repeats well (and I haven't had time to dead head for the past three years.) And I would have collected seeds had it set seeds because I like the potential of this rose.

• jerome
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Krista, beautiful photos. I have always wanted Eglantyne and Sharifa Asma.

Olga...PLEASE tell us where you got your Abe and what it's grafted on. Pretty please! :-) Mine are going into their 4th season puny as ever. A dear friend told me to give them more food (organic) so I was out there 2 days ago, and I put a coffee can of Mills on each rose (prodigal amounts actually) and am going to add composted chicken manure (which I loathe...greater love than this...) today in the hopes that perhaps I can stuff them into growth this year!

O...and Olga, all of us here in the office were looking at this thread, and one of the workers said, "those stems look like tree trunks...but I want to see the after picture, with the flowers."...it is my birthday on Monday...hint, hint...(I am so bad)

• peachiekean
    16 years ago

Hi Jerome,
    In my garden I would say Scepter'd Isle wins for sheer numbers of pale pink blooms. It's a very dependable rose. I just moved it so I hope it continues to do well.
    Mary Rose & Jude the Obscure also have loads of blooms but a little longer periods between flushes. If you want cuttings of Eglantine or any of the ones mentioned above, please let me know and I'll bring them to you (I really want to see that garden of yours!).
    Mary

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    16 years ago

I would offer up these as my most prolific bloomers that come to mind: Winchester Cathedral, Windrush, Blythe Spirit, and Benjamin Britten. Also worth mentioning are Crocus Rose and Swan. Most of my other ones have been rather iffy and not for any consistent reasons.

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    16 years ago

All of my Austins bloom well June-October. The Mayflower produces the most with Tamora, Molineux, Scepter'd Isle and WS 2000 right behind.

The Mayflower produces many flowers but bloom quality suffers in wet weather.
    {{gwi:231668}}

Tamora

{{gwi:211692}}

Molineux

{{gwi:231669}}

• carolfm
    16 years ago

No one has mentioned Pat Austin and mine has flush after flush. I love that rose. I do agree that the Austins mostly bloom in flushes in my garden with the odd bloom between flushes. Prospero blooms well. Abe Darby does okay here but not nearly as well as Olga's. I lust after her Abe Darby :-). The Prince blooms well but is slower to repeat than the others.

Pat

{{gwi:231670}}

Carol

• carla17
    16 years ago

Harry, I still want to know when you're taking those photog lessons. Your photos are wonderful.
    Carol, Your Pat is amazing.
    Krista, love those pinks. Just think, daylight savings time begins soon. Spring must be near.

Carla

• redsox_gw
    16 years ago

I have heard that if you sneeze near Heritage, it will blow. I am kicking myself for not ordered Anne Boleyn. Kate, feel to tell me "I told you so."

• peachiekean
    16 years ago

Carol, what are you feeding Pat? Mine only gets to about 4 ft! I did feed everything with the alfalfa tea a couple of days ago - maybe that will do the trick! Your Pat is breathtaking.
    Mary

• carolfm
    16 years ago

Hey Mary,

Alfalfa and manure. My roses seem to love that stuff. I have to cut Pat back a couple of times a year so that we can get off of the deck. :-) Thank you.

Carol

• erasmus_gw
    16 years ago

That is an awesome Pat.

My best repeat bloomers are:

Abraham Darby
    Molineux
    Heritage
    L.D. Braithwaite
    Sophy's Rose
    St. Cecilia
    Tamora
    Pat
    Golden Celebration
    Lillian Austin
    The Prince is pretty good too.

That's a beautiful picture of Tamora, Harryshoe.
    Linda

• gnabonnand
    16 years ago

redsox, don't believe everything you hear :-)
    Mine is actually comparable to many of my true OGRs in regards to longevity of an individual bloom.

Randy

• ceterum
    16 years ago

Randy, don't take my comments on Heritage as a personal insult against you. It isn't; I was talking about the rose.

• olga_6b
    16 years ago

Thank you. Marie my AD was grafted plant from local nursery many years ago. I assume it was on Dr Huey originally, but long time since gone own root. I always plant my roses with graft below the the surface (1-2"), so in 2-3 years they all go own root. This AD is probably 8 year old.
    Jerome, thank you. I am not sure I have the right picture, but here are some shots. Happy Birthday! Best wishes to you.

{{gwi:231671}}
    {{gwi:231672}}
    {{gwi:231673}}
    {{gwi:231674}}
    {{gwi:231675}}
    {{gwi:231677}}
    {{gwi:231678}}
    {{gwi:231679}}

Olga

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    16 years ago

redsox--

hee-hee-hee-hee.

I didn't say a word!

Kate

• jerome
    Original Author
    16 years ago

This thread just rocks! Olga I am here grinning ear to ear and just laughing out loud. That is so gorgeous. I am going to keep putting on Alfalfa and chicken manure (composted...don't worry)

Thank you to everyone who is posting. All of your pictures are wonderful, and your comments give me a lot of information to go on.

Mary Peachiekean, just come on up. I just gave most of our lavenders a haircut today, so the place is a bit austere...but I think we're heading for a great spring flush. Just come up. Send me an e-mail if you need directions...it's super easy, just up the road a piece.

Harry, your Tamora is something else. Carol...if my Pat Austin had done anything like that, I would be a happy man.

• ruthie5bpei
    16 years ago

Tamora was the most floriferous rose in my first year rose garden last summer, by a good margin. Enabling by Morden Man and Harry led to my purchasing it. Those are some pictures Olga. I've ordered Abe for this spring.

Ruth

• duchesse_nalabama
    16 years ago

Beautiful pictures, everyone. Don't have any Austins but have toyed with getting Heritage and GC, since those seem to be the ones most recommended for the southeast. I sure like Tamora and Pat Austin, though.

• Jean Marion (z6a Idaho)
    16 years ago

bloom the most here:

Lilian Austin
    molineux
    Prospero

• gnabonnand
    16 years ago

ceterum, I am no where near that thin-skinned.
    "Shattering in minutes" just seemed out of line with what I have seen in my own garden, and some people may be interested in various experiences, so I gave mine. Most everyone who grows that rose knows that it is not for cutting, without any need for exaggeration.

Randy

• roselovr_in_eh
    16 years ago

I'm surprised no one has mentioned The Alnwick Rose - easily my best Austin bloomer, and extremely fragrant. She's the pink here along with Malvern Hills (yellow) and The Prince (crimson):

I also find Rose Marie, the blush white sport of Heritage, to be very floriferous, and the fragrance is so strong it carries.

George

• andreageorgia
    16 years ago

I agree with most of what the others here have said, with a few caveats:

James Galway was an extremely poor bloomer for me, so I got rid of him despite his (few) beautiful flowers, and Anne Boleyn's flowers reliably blew in a day or two, max. My Alnwick Rose has not been a good bloomer either, and while I attributed it in part to its infection with RMV (directly purchased from DA-US, btw), I've heard similar comments from others. Last year I got another one here in the UK directly from DA, and its performance wasn't exactly stellar either, so I'll see what happens this year. But the flowers are exquisitely beautiful and charm you with their delicious raspberry perfume. And while Eglantyne is one of DA's most beautiful roses, it has never been a great performer for me after mid-summer when it switches from blooming to producing rather long green shoots. Still, it is an exquisite rose.

Now, here are a couple of Austins brand new super performers:

Lady Emma Hamilton probably beats about every other of my many floriferous Austins as a true non-stop bloomer (I have (or had) nearly all the Austins mentioned here). I picked the last bloom off her in mid-February and had to defoliate her many remaining leaves by hand (she basically didn't lose any) so she could have a short break before diving into the next season. On top of her superb blooming performance her flowers produce an absolutely stunning fruity scent which is quite similar to Jude the Obscure's. Her lovely orange-yellow colors are not unsimilar to Pat Austin's, but of more modern character - a tangerine instead of a coppery hue. She has been extremely healthy so far. Highly recommended.

Another new beauty with excellent repeat and big flowers is Lady of Megginch. I love her intense yet refined color and voluptuous bloom shape (really quite a looker), although she could have a stronger scent. Also very very healthy.

Among other fairly new and floriferous releases there's for instance Wisley. He's nearly always in bloom and produces lovely big flowers of a deep cerise, blessed with a strong citrus perfume (at least most of the time). But: this rose is also a truly outstanding BS magnet, in the southeastern US as well as in England where I now live. Nonetheless very vigorous yet well behaved with small, finely shaped leaves.

Portmeirion is also a very floriferous and excellent repeater, but the strong and somewhat rough myrrh scent has tended to keep me and my nose at some distance from it. A healthy rose.

Fair Bianca has also been very good for me in terms of fast repeat and health, and her myrrh scent is a lot more refined and interesting than Portmeirion's - or Tamora's for that matter, as much as I love her colors. But beware, as good a repeater as Tamora is, she's also a terrible BS and PM magnet in the Southeast.

To expand the topic a tad - for those among you who are after truly unusual colors, give Summer Song a good look. I've never seen a rose produce such a deep (and unfading) burnt orange, combined with a most delicious fruity banana scent. It's also a very healthy and vigorous plant with very long lasting flowers, but it was a bit slow to repeat in its first year with me. I wouldn't be without it though. It's not available in the US yet, but hopefully soon!

I've also tried Tea Clipper, among last year's new releases. The rose had pretty good rebloom in its first year with me, but I'm not so sure how much I like its fast fading flowers. And Alan Titchmarsh has been a total disappointment, it flowered only once and what it produced was anything but remarkable. Hopefully it'll do better this year.

Since I'm right at the source for Austins here in England, I just got four out of five of his brand new releases for this season and will be able to tell you more about them later on - Princess Alexandra of Kent (pink), Munstead Wood (red), Claire Austin (white), and Port Sunlight (apricot). Plus a few others I haven't had before, including Rosemoor and Darcey Bussell, among last season's new roses.

Greetings from Great Britain!
    Andrea

• jerome
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Duchesse...Tamora looks more and more tempting!

Decobug, your results match a lot of people in my OC area...I know Hoovb said Molineux is very productive for her, and Jeri Jennings likes Prospero a lot.

Randy, I don't have Heritage, but a rose that shattered fast for me was Pat Austin. Great fragrance, but not for pickin'

George...that is gorgeous. Love them thar peonies! *wink wink*

Andrea, thanks for your great reply. I almost bought Tea Clipper at bare root time at the nursery...but didn't. Are you in the UK permanent like? Cambridge...must be wonderful. Happy gardening. Hope you can visit Mottisfont in June!

• patricianat
    16 years ago

FWIW, Pat Austin, Heritage, Golden Celebration, Abraham Darby (the Abe I got from Chamblees; the grafted one does not bloom very often).

• andreageorgia
    16 years ago

Thanks, Jerome. If you'd like some more information, I actually posted some comments on the new Austins Tea Clipper, Lady Emma and Summer Song on Helpmefind. Cambridge is a very pretty and historic place, great for my work (as a postdoc) and for gardening. I'll stay for another year and a half. After that, we'll see.

I have to say that the British are quite amazing at what they do with their gardens, from tiny to large. There are so many wonderful plants and flowers (including many roses of course) wherever the eye wanders here in town. It's always interesting and never dull, even in the smallest of front yards. Some of the historic cottages in the nearby villages are so beautifully adorned with roses that it can be breathtaking. So perhaps not too surprisingly, we have a fantastic garden center nearby (Scotsdale's) with an amazingly huge selection of roses, including many many Austins, plus clematis, camellias and about everything else one could possibly want to plant. All is extremely well maintained and in top quality from what I can tell. And there is a nice outdoor and indoor cafe to relax and recover from the exhausting shopping. Some people just go there for the cafe.

There are also some lovely historic gardens in the vicinity, such as the recently restored Victorian Bridge End Garden in Saffron Walden/Uttlesford that includes a rose garden with Gallica and Damask roses. Here are a couple of links, just fyi.
    Thanks for the reminder about Mottisfont, btw!

http://www.uttlesford.gov.uk/bridge+end+garden/walled+garden.htm
    http://www.uttlesford.gov.uk/bridge+end+garden/rose+garden.htm

I usually don't post photos on this forum because of the lack of copyright, but here are a couple anyway. One is of my college (left in the pic) in Cambridge, conveniently located opposite a nice restaurant. The town basically consists of the colleges which make up the university, and countless restaurants, cafes and bars - surrounded by a lot of parks. The next one is a snapshot of a cottage in a nearby village. Plus one of some of the greenery here around town, although there are much more beautiful sceneries (and photos), especially along the river Cam. There is so much green and flower power here. Well, they do have a mild climate (zone 8) and a sufficient amount of precipitation. It is a heaven for gardeners.

{{gwi:231680}}

{{gwi:231681}}

{{gwi:231682}}

Andrea

Here is a link that might be useful: Bridge End Garden in Saffron Walden/Uttlesford

• gnabonnand
    16 years ago

What a glorious place. Thank you for sharing those photos.
    I look forward to the day when I have visit there.

Randy

• jerome
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Good heavens Andrea, what beautiful pictures! How blessed you are. I wish I could visit England some day. I have never been. Cambridge looks wonderful.

Thanks for those links too.

Jerome

• andreageorgia
    16 years ago

Here's a photo of Lady Emma Hamilton, just fyi.

{{gwi:231683}}

However, my first pick for the combination of beauty, floriferousness and perfume may be Sharifa Asma. Her scent is just out of this world. For these traits you should also take a look at William Shakespeare 2000. Mine was nearly always in bloom and his richly crimson colored flowers are petal packed and exquisitely shaped. His scent is lovely sweet old rose. Golden Celebration and Crocus Rose are also beautiful and excellent performers. And another superb rose with stunning flower power already mentioned here is Molineux, although his blooms are not quite as beuatiful as those of the others. All of them are quite healthy.

William Shakespeare 2000
    {{gwi:231684}}

Andrea

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    16 years ago

WOW!!! What gorgeous roses. I sure do use the word gorgeous alot on these rose forums. Keep the pics coming!!! Judy

• the_dark_lady
    16 years ago

I would like to second Andrea on the Lady Emma Hamilton (how could I forget about it?!?!).
    Indeed, generous bloomer, all summer long, despite the heat, humidity and drought.
    Beautiful foliage, too.
    {{gwi:226392}}

{{gwi:231687}}

{{gwi:226396}}

{{gwi:226394}}

{{gwi:231690}}

• jerome
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Mamma mia those are gorgeous pictures. I know Golden Celebration and Wllm Shakespeare 2000 are great because I have 3 of the former and 25 (!) of the Shakespeare. Lady Emma I had been avoiding because I heard it was weak, and my sister got a dead one last year...but those photos are to die, and both Andrea and Dark Lady weigh in saying it's a good rose. Whatever I decide, I'd better do it quick...my window of opportunity here in CA is rapidly closing.

J

• the_dark_lady
    16 years ago

Jerome, I grow three of Lady Emma Hamilton. Two bought from David Austin Roses, Texas, the third one received as gift from our Olga :)
    All three are doing wonderfully - in one season they formed beautiful bushes, never stopped blooming. I especially love the foliage - when it is young, it's of beautiful burgundy color, the whole effect reminds me of stained glass.
    Marina

16 years ago

At the rose park, Graham Thomas is always covered from head to toe...

• triple_b
    15 years ago

o my gosh I MUST MUST get Sharifa Asma and Tamora and Heritage and....

15 years ago

Those pictures of LEH are gorgeous!

• 5400jana
    14 years ago

Now, after some experience with my english roses, whose many of them need staking, I´d like to know also some that don´t need any support but make good landscaping shrubs. Good repeating and some fragrance would be appreciated. Are there any? Thanks very much for your answers. Jana