Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ashrosetx

Belinda's dream - 6 hours texas sun not enough ?

ashrosetx
9 years ago

I just moved my Belindas Dream into the sunniest, hottest spot of my central texas backyard. All day sun and blazing afternoon sun. I had it in what I thought was a prime spot , morning sun through 2pm, followed by some dappled sun the remainder of the day. It hasn't bloomed much and is somewhat leggy. We have several that grow at our local library between a dark brick wall and the driveway, on the west side. They seem to love it and bloom their heads off. Until they were pruned recently, or rather cut down to 4 feet this winter, they towered at 8 feet providing a home for a multitude of sparrows. I hope the poor sparrows have found a new place to call home.

I am hoping mine does better this year. Fingers crossed :)

The only other roses that I have that handle heat so well are Ducher and Martha Gonzales. My teas, Mrs Dudley Cross and Duchesse De Brabrant seem to prefer afternoon shade.

I planted some SDLMs in the same area as Belindas Dream. I hope they can handle the sun and heat just as well. I read somewhere that they didn't make it through the earthkind trials in Texas, but couldn't resist. They smell so lovely !!

Asha

Comments (6)

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

Asha, my SdlM is a better performer than Belinda's Dream, which had frizzled leaves all summer and very few blooms. My SdlM blooms constantly while BD takes a rest between blooming cycles so for me it's much the better rose. I suppose it's all a matter of location. I hope your BD improves; you seem to have it in a perfect location.

Ingrid

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

How long was it in that spot? Mine took a few years to really get going.

• ashrosetx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ingrid, thanks for your response. I do hope so. I just planted gallon pots of SDLMs from Chamblee's earlier this week. It rained over the weekend and looks like they have settled in nicely.

Hoovb, my BD is 2 years old. About 3 feet tall. My friend who bought a BD at the same time planted it in a sunnier spot has seen hers grow to a 4 foot well rounded bush that has bloomed well. I am hoping mine will do better in its new spot. It's been my experience that most roses I have planted ( OGRs) take about a year to get established. Year two is good and year three onwards is excellent, if they make it through our drought and water restrictions ( once a week ). I have most of mine on a drip, but the squirrels seem to have discovered them too.
    The only exception seem to be climbers. I have an old blush I am so tempted to do away with. But he is healthy throwing out 6 foot canes, just no flowers. Same with Peggy Martin. Beautiful light green, shiny foliage. I am giving them another year. Patience is not a virtue I seem to have :)

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

I planted Peggy Martin last spring and she was busy growing but no blooms, I hope to have blooms this spring but if not I'm not going to worry. From what I've read and learned on this forum climbers can take a whole to bloom because they spend all their energy growing. Patience is not my virtue either but I know when it starts blooming it will be worth it. You will live your SDLM! I also plante mine last spring and she did great in my east Texas heat.

• ogrose_tx
    9 years ago

My Belinda's Dream is in all day sun and seemed to love it; it grew into about a 7' bush, but like Ingrid said, it does take a rest between flushes. Likewise, SDLM and Duchesse de Brabant have all day sun with no problem with blooms. I did give mine plenty of water when they were young, and alfalfa meal in the spring. I'm guessing patience is the answer.

• shopshops
    9 years ago

I have 7 Belinda's Dream roses. I live south of DFW. Three are in all day sun. Two get 5 hours morning sun, then evening shade and two are in a raised bed in the shadow of an old oak. They get 4 hours morning sun in the summer, less at other times. I get a monthly flush from all of these bushes. The ones in full sun all day seem like they always have a bloom on them in between flushes. I use organic fertilizer perhaps twice a year on Belinda.
    I have had reliable rebloom with her. I love love this rose with her wafting raspberry scent. To think that she almost did not make it to commerce were it not for Mike Shoup of ARE. Dr Basye thought he could do better than this rose.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County