Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greybird_gw

If you have a good Natchitoches Noisette, read this...

greybird
15 years ago

I am looking to get another Noisette, would like them to be similar in growth habit and health as Natchitoches Noisette. (I would like to skip the trial and error, and cut to the chase...)

Comments (17)

• frannie_morgan
    15 years ago

Natchitoches Noisette and Haywood Hall grow near each other in my garden and are nearly the same height and width (BIG). NN has a bit more sprawl to it, I think. Haywood Hall is one of my absolute favorite Noisettes and is quite fragrant. Some say it is the same as at least one of the Blush Noisettes in commerce, but I find it to be much healthier (less prone to blackspot) than the Blush Noisette I grow.

Pat

• jerijen
    15 years ago

I'd really love to see an image of a mature plant of Natchitoches Noisette and also Mrs. Woods Lavender Pink Noisette.

Jeri

• greybird
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here's my Natch Noisette, 5-6 years old. This is my first attempt to post a pic, hope it works...

• greybird
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, that did not work, here goes again...

{{gwi:231899}}

• melva
    15 years ago

Very nice!

• User
    15 years ago

Oh, Wow. I have got to get me one o'those Natch Noisettes!
    What a picture! I have been informed by a fellow S. Floridian that Natch will do very well here, even on its own roots. Now to find one... any comments on Antique Rose Emporium as a source for roses? They have Natch listed, but I don't know anything about the company. After reading the rose forum posts on JP, I figured that I had better check with y'all before ordering from any supplier.
    Thanks,
    Avalon

• greybird
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am glad you like the picture, just wish I knew how to post it in a smaller format.
    I got my NN from Chamblees. Natchitoches Noisette is wonderful here in Texas, healthy and free-flowering. If I remember correctly, ARE introduced this "found" plant into commerce. A lot of people have real good luck with ARE, the plants you receive will be larger than most mail order, two gallon, and ready to plant into your garden.

• malcolm_manners
    15 years ago

ARE is an excellent company. Great people.

• sherryocala
    15 years ago

My 2-yr old NN is a very nice bush about 3.5' tall x 5' across, but it hasn't bloomed very much. Is this typical? I have a new Blush Noisette in a 2-gal pot with several flower buds on it. Can't wait!

Oh, greybird, I do like your NN very much. It's just lovely! How big is it?

Sherry

• carolfm
    15 years ago

You have a beautiful specimen of NN, greybird.

Carol

• greybird
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you, I really like her too.

My NN is 5-6 years old, and I lightly prune with maunal hedge shears to about 4'x5' each January. It will grow to about 5'x5' over a growing season. The spring flush is nothing short of spectacular, with excellent rebloom 'til frost. This rose really likes a lot of sun.

It took my plant about 3 years to really take off and bloom as pictured. NN is one of my healthiest and carefree plants, can't recommend this "found" rose enough.

• nickelsmumz8
    15 years ago

That's a pink even I like. It seems to have a variation of tones in it. Smashing!

• amberroses
    15 years ago

Wow! I have a little one about 2 years old. It blooms, but is a slow grower. I will be so happy if mine gets that big.

Avalon2007: I got mine online at Seminole Springs (www.rosesandherbs.com). Since you are in Florida too you may want to try them.

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    15 years ago

My NN was new last year, and now I have transplanted it to the front. I am so glad you posted that beautiful picture because I need to change the spacing of my plants. Yours is beautiful.

Sammy

• nastarana
    15 years ago

greybird, Wow! What a gorgeous picture. You evil enabler you!

• greybird
    Original Author
    15 years ago

To enable you even more, I know that Vintage Gardens has this variety in stock and also have a great sale going right now.....buy 8, get 2 free, how cool is that???
    Also while you're there, take advantage of the the free-rose-to-cheer-up-a-friend deal, an awesome opportunity, Vintage rocks!!!!!

• malcolm_manners
    15 years ago

A couple observations on this rose: It appears to be identical to what we grow as "Morgan Spring," another found name for a found rose by Frances Grate.

Also, this is a rose that Liz Druitt recommended putting on your head, early in the morning, then wearing a hat over it for a while, to develop a powerful myrrh fragrance. It only works in the morning.

Finally, while this rose is called a Noisette, and I certainly don't have a better suggestion for a class for it, I would say that its growth habit is quite unlike that of any other rose I've ever grown -- those huge, open panicles of flowers with the extra-long pedicels. I wish there were some truly comparable other varieties.