Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joshtx

Enabling

joshtx
10 years ago

I recently went to the monthly trade days near my house. A vendor there was selling dried herbs and honey she farms organically. Her and I got to talking about the weather, and I mentioned growing antique roses. She seemed quite interested, so I promised to bring her one. The next day I brought her a one gallon Cramoisi Supeurieur since it does so well in Texas.

A lady nearby inquired about the plant she thought I was buying, and I told her about the roses and why I brought it there. She stated she was a collector of antique things and she would love to have an antique rose. I got her email and asked a bunch of questions regarding size, scent, color, flower form, etc.

I was wondering you fine people could help me in enabling her. She requested a pink, coral or red rose that didn't have a classic rose fragrance, without a preference as to form. The problem I hit is she'd like it to be 4ft. or smaller. To be honest, I don't know of roses that grow so small except for minis. Is there such a thing? I was thinking of Souvenir de la Malmaison for her since it stays reasonably compact, but I doubt it would stay within a 4x4 dimension here in Texas.

Josh

Comments (13)

• jacqueline9CA
    10 years ago

Many of the smaller polyanthas would do that - look at Margo Koster (orange/peach), and all of the other Kosters (this family of roses has sported into an amazing number of colors).

• mendocino_rose
    10 years ago

I don't think it would get any bigger in Texas than it does in California. It's 4 x 4 here. It's sisters like Souvenir de Saint Anne grow similarly. There are many own root HTs and Floribundas that don't get large either. I'm happy to hear about your excellent enabling.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

Same here with Souvenir de la Malmaison, Josh, and her sports Madame Cornelissen and Kronprinzessin Viktoria von Preussen. I would still suggest SdlM over the other two since it's had fewer issues with mildew and blooms the most. Once it's been in the ground for a few years it can easily be cut back to 4 x 4 should it even have grown to that size.

Ingrid

• ms. violet grey
    10 years ago

Souvenir de la Malmaison would be a good ''starter''.
    It has stayed compact, no long canes, maybe about 2 feet for me. Also, the scent is not the classic rose fragrance. It blooms and repeats well - virtually no balling in my extreme humidity.

I think this rose would give the novice rosarian the desire to learn & acquire more old garden roses/antique roses.

• joshtx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone! I've emailed her a photo and some background info. Hopefully I can rope another one in to the obsession. Lol

Josh

• portlandmysteryrose
    10 years ago

You go, OGR ambassador! Rose societies should employ you in their secret service organizations.

• cath41
    10 years ago

Here you are 22 years old and already a rose mentor!

Cath

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    10 years ago

I am late to the party here. My SDLM are about 5 feet and quite wide, but Maggie might be an option. Maggie is a bourbon, but I don't remember the date.

Sammy

• joshtx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone! I'm excited to get more OGR out into the world and get people growing them! I'm waiting to hear back from her at the moment regarding SDLM. I'll be sure to update this thread once she responds.

Sammy,

Maggie would be a great option too. Ogrose has a great bush of it but I'm not sure it would be small enough for her. Also, considering it is a found rose, I couldn't give her a specific antique date. I'm sure if she starts digging into OGR once SDLM blooms and she gets bit by the bug, she'll come across it. :)

Josh

• nastarana
    10 years ago

There is a red or dark pink sport of SDLM. I think RU sells it some years. The name is something like Deuil de Captaine Dyville.

There is also Levison-Gower, not an SDLM sport, but very nice in its own right. It has smallish pinkish-red flowers, grows only about 2-3' high (for me, in CA) and is nearly always in bloom. I don't know if anyone is selling it now. I liked the one I had very much. Portland roses would likely grow in your climate, but they do seem to need lots of water.

• ms. violet grey
    10 years ago

Not a "deuil" nor a "souvenir" though, but it's Capitaine Dyel de Graville.
    Its taller and long thin stems. The pink color is breathtaking! SDLM is short (in comparison to 'La Reine' or 'Paul Neyron') and bushier.

Josh, did you convince your Dad to permit you to plant roses?
    Or are you buying only for the cemetery?

• lou_texas
    10 years ago

Josh, just for the record: I pruned my SDLM back from 5' tall and 8' wide to 5' tall and 6' wide. I see no harm in keeping it 4x4 though.

I'm sure those ladies loved you. It's so refreshing to see the enthusiasm of the younger generation. Lou

• zeffyrose
    10 years ago

Josh----It makes me happy to read about your love of roses and sharing your love and knowledge to others----
    Keep up the good work
    Florence