Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Singles, shade tolerant, thrip resistant

Posted by teka2rjleffel z10FL (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 24, 12 at 18:45

I recently read that singles tend to be more shade tolerant that other bloom types. I'm sure this is a broad generalization but what is your experience? Also I see less thrip damage or it isn't as apparent on singles. Now that the thrips are here 12 months of the year it would be nice to have some blooms not destroyed. What repeat blooming singles do you like?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Singles, shade tolerant, thrip resistant

I don't think I'd consider real full shade. For that, buy an azalea or camellia, or a fern, perhaps.

But if you have day-long filtered shade, or half-day sun, perhaps, yes, Singles will tolerate it better than doubles. At least, they will open. :-)

I particularly like 'Mutabilis,' which should like Florida, as it is a China:
'Mutabilis'

"Ragged Robin"???
"Ragged Robin", 'Gloire des Rosomanes'

Perhaps the single R. moschata?
Or 'Sanguinea'/"Bengal Fire"?
"Bengal Fire" ('Sanguinea'?)

Jeri

o

Thanks Jeri. I'm glad you responded. I know you know your singles.
Nancy

o

Apart from species roses, I mainly grow singles and semi-doubles. There is quite a good hybrid Musk which has done well in shade - Vanity - and I also have a slew of early HTs such as Mrs Oakley Fisher, Dusky Maiden, Dainty Bess, DairyMaid and Ellen Wilmott. The musk rose, R.moschata and autumnalis has been OK in shade (but I dunno about thrips).

o

Thanks Campanula. Dainty Bess has been on my wish list for a while. I also like Dairy Maid and Ellen Wilmott. Thanks
Nancy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here