Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosefolly_gw

The Great Pacific Tea Expansion

rosefolly
12 years ago

No, not the grocery store.

I just noticed that I have been expanding in the tea class over the past couple of years. The following tea roses are growing in the ground in my Olive Tree bed already:

Clementina Carbonieri

Lady Hillingdon

Madame Lambard

Sunset

These are sizing up in gallons in my pot ghetto:

Edith Perry (seedling of Bon Silene)

Le Pactole

Cels Mulitflora

White Maman Cochet (bush form)

Rhodologue Jules Gravereaux

Le Vesuve

Plymouth Fence Tea

And as of today, these are on order:

Rosette Delizy

Madame Jules Gravereaux (Miss Atwood)

Etoile de Lyon

Westside Road Cream Tea (5)

Monsieur Tillier

Madame Berkeley

Those last two were added (from Chamblees) because I thought I might be getting a bit too pastel in the new tea bed and I wanted to add a bit richer color. I hope I can find room for them! That makes twelve roses for the planned Pine Tree bed. I'd been thinking nine so it will mean a bit closer planting than I had in mind. I hope I'm not making a mistake here.

The 5 Westside Cream Tea roses go in a different part of the garden to make a curved hedge along a walk. I know they can slowly build up to 4 or 4 1/2 feet, but I'd like to keep them around 3 or 3 1/2 feet. Is this reasonable?

Rosefolly

Comments (8)

• sherryocala
    12 years ago

Rosefolly, what a magnificent group of Tea roses! It made me envious and wishing that I was starting over again. Well, maybe not but definitely nostalgic. I looked up all of them on HMF and was surprised to read that Mme Berkeley is not good in warmer climates. How odd for a Tea rose. When you mentioned the last two added for bolder color, I noticed that Generals Schablikine and Gallieni were not on your list. Did you determine that they don't do well in your climate? I forget if they were discussed in your other thread on that subject.

Well, all the best to you. They're going to be gorgeous. Remember to take photos!! How big is your garden???

Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: If only sweat were irrigation...

• rosefolly
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Sherry, there is another thread on Madame Berkeley right now on that very issue. The consensus was that MB was probably not at its best in hot, hot desert conditions. However, it is said to do quite well in the SF Bay area.

I thought about the two generals and decided that I just like these two better. And I also went back and canceled Rosette Delizy after all. I have space scoped out in the new Pine Tree bed for 11 roses if I use 8 foot centers. I decided to resist my tendency to stuff them in a bit too tightly. I'm sure it is a wonderful rose but I had to draw the line somewhere!

Rosefolly

• mendocino_rose
    12 years ago

You have such a nice climate for teas. You're missing two of my favorites, Gen. Galliani and Madame Charles.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    12 years ago

rosefolly, you have a wonderful group of tea roses. It should be spectacular. About Westside Road Cream Tea, for me it's an extremely bushy and dense rose which I think if allowed could grow fairly large, but it's easily kept in check, and I think 3 1/2 would be workable. To my great regret (and no one else has mentioned this fault), mine for a long period in the year produces tiny, deformed grayish blooms, quite different from the large blooms when it's at its best. It really is a mystery to me and I hope it doesn't happen to yours. I had Mme. Berkeley in a previous hot dry garden nearby and it performed very well in the heat, no different from any other tea rose. Lady Hillingdon was always an open sparse bush for me which is why I now have the climber, but others grow it to perfection.

Ingrid

• jerome
    12 years ago

Makes me happy you're getting Teas. I hope they do well for you and that you enjoy them.

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

Oh, rosefolly, that's going to be a gorgeous display!

• rosefolly
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, I do hope so! I turned my back on teas for years because I thought they all mildewed here. I suspect that even with all the research I did here on the forum and elsewhere, I may still find that two or three of them aren't as healthy as I would like. I can always trade those ones out. Having started off with good candidates, my hopes are high that most of them will be beautiful.

I was out looking at the spot where they are to go. Yes, I do think they will fit. But that project is for later. First I want to grow the plants to a decent size and then get the soil in shape before they go in the ground. Meanwhile, there is plenty of other garden work to do, moving and planting and weeding and mulching. We got a big load of wood chips for mulch today, mixed oak and pine and ash. I like the oak and pine because they come with lots of leaves; not as pretty perhaps, but better for the soil.

Rosefolly

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    6 years ago

Oh no, Mendocino! I just cancelled Madame Charles for Niles Cochet on my RPs order.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022