Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ingrid_vc

Glamis Castle - the devil made me do it....

I went to the nursery today with the intention of buying Bishop's Castle, an Austin that was highly praised when I inquired about it on this forum. So far, so good. However, standing right next to it were several pots of Glamis Castle. This rose has almost universally been declared a dog for many reasons, and some people actually professed to hate it. So there it sat with tiny little leaves on its spindly little canes, and I bought it! To add insult to injury, I also bought Lavender Simplicity, knowing that the Simplicity clan had been damned to high heaven on the Rose Forum. Well, one out of three isn't bad. I'm pretty sure Bishop's Castle will live up to my expectations. I'm trying not to think about the adage of a fool soon being parted from his money. These puppies were not cheap!

Ingrid

Comments (16)

• buford
    16 years ago

FWIW I love my 2 Glamis Castle's. So far anyway. I have the in pots. I'm looking forward to them blooming a lot this year.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    16 years ago

I like my Glamis Castle very much, strange fragrance and all. The flowers do not last long but rebloom is very rapid. Mine seems to dislikes hard pruning.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh goody, I'm so glad to hear there's hope. I do love the picture on the label of the rose, the rose looks so delicate and I love its shape. If only it will stay healthy for me and it grows I'll be in good shape. Thanks for the encouragement!

Ingrid

• jerome
    16 years ago

Glamis Castle is a total winner here at the abbey, and I am not that good at growing Austins. In my climate, it gets a tiny bit of mildew in spring...but really hardly any, and it blooms a ton. I agree with Hoovb that I don't prune it really hard.

• morrisnoor
    16 years ago

Don't worry Ingrid, Glamis is a total winner for me too. A very very beautiful Rose. Be patient for the first year, give it a sunny, open position or -better IMHO- a big pot, and trait it like a China.

The fragrance is delightful, and the flowering continuous.

Ciao!
    Maurizio

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    16 years ago

I have had Lavender Simplicity and really liked it. It was in a pot, waiting to go in the ground but I lost it due to factors that were not its fault. I have ordered another, I liked it that much. It was healthy and bloomed alot. Whats not to like about that? Havent grown Glamis Castle.
    Judith

• mike_rivers
    16 years ago

I haven't grown the rose, I resisted the temptation. I guess my garden plan for the year just didn't allow for a white rose. But I did see it blooming at a local nursery and I thought it was lovely, so lovely that I would be willing to put up with quite a few shortcomings if it has them.

• triple_b
    16 years ago

...and you should see what the devil did to MY VISA!!

• mendocino_rose
    16 years ago

I think people have dissed Glamis Castle because it can take a little time to develope. The first 2 years mine was underwhelming but now I am glad I gave it time. It is beautiful and healthy.

Original Author
    16 years ago

I am so grateful for all your responses! How nice to receive this kind of support, and I'm now excited instead of questioning my decision. With every new rose I plant I feel that I'm coming ever closer to what my dream vision is for my garden, and having this forum to share that with is such a great pleasure, along with hearing what all of you are doing, the triumphs and the pitfalls, and then seeing the beautiful pictures of your roses and gardens. It really is becoming one of the great joys of my life.

Warm regards,

Ingrid

• carolfm
    16 years ago

This is exactly why I always say that you should try a rose in your own garden if it appeals to you despite what anyone else says! I hope it is a wonderful rose in your garden, Ingrid.

Carol

• tammypie
    15 years ago

Glamis Castle is now one of my favorite roses. Mine has really grown and bloomed, and I've had her for a few months now. Yes, there is very little mildew, I spray all my roses with a fungicide/disease control spray every 2 weeks.

• mary_rose
    15 years ago

I had hopes for my Glamis Castle because my step daughter ordered it for me. (One of the first 4 I got from Chamblees 2 years ago) Everything I have ever gotten from hybrid t's to Austins and HP's have done very well, except GC. It just sat there, and sat there and sat there. It would bloom a few buds but mostly they would ball. But the darn thing never grew an inch. So I moved it this spring. It is still sitting there. If it doesn't do anything by next spring, it's history. I'll find another pretty little white to put in its place. Life is too short to put up with roses that don't please. I have put in Winchester Cathedral, and it is beautiful. Really coming into it's own this year, along with everything else....so I don't think it's me. I think the one I got just has a bad attitude. LOL!

• Jagsailor146_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

I purchased several own-root roses last Spring including Glamis Castle. It is doing very well here in my Southern Oregon garden. The blooms are absolutely gorgeous! Glamis Castle is my favorite rose in the garden. It looks fabulous against a neatly-trimed boxwood hedge.

• funnelweb
    11 years ago

Well, I just bought one and planted it today. I see it's good to (US) zone 9, I'm about 9 to 9.5 here in New South Wales, Australia. I have one other DA, 'Sophie's rose', a deep pink that does really well so I'm hoping this does too. Afterall, all the photos I've seen of it in 'Google' suggest it is lovely.
    Regards

Original Author
    11 years ago

Alas, mine is history. What I disliked most about it were the wicked thorns, which seemed to become more ominous with time. The smell of this rose was also offputting, and the flowers did not last long, although admittedly it was in a very hot spot. On a good note, I still have Bishop's Castle and Lavender Simplicity. LS does not like the excessive heat of this summer but has otherwise been lovely and quite satisfactory.

Ingrid