Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
forsythia blooming can I tip prune teas?

Posted by poorbutroserich Nashville (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 24, 14 at 19:54

Ok, I saw a blooming forsythia bush today. My teas and chinas are pushing gorgeous maroon growth! Since they are so young I'm not going to do any pruning this year other than dieback.
Can I go ahead and tip prune where the roses have died back to next bud eye?
Thanks!
Susan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: forsythia blooming can I tip prune teas?

NO!
It was probably winter jasmine which blooms a whole lot earlier than forsythia.
Wait until after we see what two nights of low twenties do later on this week.

o

• Posted by subk3 7a/Mid TN (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 24, 14 at 22:05

I noticed the first blooms on my winter jasmine today. I checked my forsythia too, and it is not blooming at all. (I'm slightly south of Nashville and of pbrr.)

o

My winter jasmine is blooming here to the east of y'all, too! I bet that is what you saw, yes. I have a forsythia, but the deer ate it this winter, so I'll have to find someone else's to check :D

o

Ok. I was likely just wishfully thinking. I know what forsythia looks like and this was more "orange". HA. I've got my spruce branches ready in a pile to cover my poor huddled masses yearning to break free.
Guess I'll just deal with canker and gall then.
Groan.
Susan

o

Since a good portion of the USA is going to suffer from the dropping polar vortex by the end of the week, I would not even think of pruning roses, even if all the forsythia in town were blooming. It is going to be cold out there in a couple more days!

Kate

o

Just an O.T question, I was wondering which jasmine(?) you're referring to as winter jasmine over there. Over here we refer to Jasminum nudiflorum as winter jasmine, maybe it's the same over there in the US? I'm somewhat of a jasminoholic (on top of rosaholic) and I thought to ask. Another yellow vine that flowers at about this time is the so called Carolina jasmine (Gelsemium sempervirens) which is not really a Jasminum.
Nik

o

HI Nik,
For once the names are the same on both sides of the Atlantic.

Jasminum nudiflorum = winter jasmine
Gelsemium sempervirens= Carolina jasmine (jessamine)

There are only one or two other true jasmines that are hardy this far north.

*Now back to our regular programming...

John

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here