Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yellow Rose Favorites?

Posted by zepherinedrouhin 6 VA (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 11, 12 at 20:57

Looking for a hardy to zone 6b yellow rose. Would like fragrance and disease resistance too, but I'm a realist. What are your favorites?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yellow Rose Favorites?

• Posted by oath5 z6b/7a MD (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 11, 12 at 21:34

It's more apricot buff- pink but 'Arethusa' is a great china rose with atypical coloring from its class.

For older antique/vintage roses the Pemberton musks have a lot of yellow blends.

'Francesca'
'Danae'
'Day Break'
'Callisto'
'Moonlight'

There are more that are more yellow-apricot buff blends.

I'm pretty partial to the languid hybrid-musk sorta sprawl every which way look. Same effect with the noisette teas like Celine Forestier.

There are some rather yellow moderns too like Austin's Molineux, the shrub Carefree Sunshine, Clements 'Morning Has Broken' etc.

Others know better than me, I LOVE yellow and apricot and yet I find myself severely lacking in owning much of either.

o

• Posted by TNY78 7a-East TN (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 11, 12 at 22:35

Charles Darwin is pretty disease free for me, and smells wonerful;y of lemons. Limoncello is my most disease resistant yellow, but I don't recall it having much fragrance.

Tammy

o

My 2 favorite yellow roses are modern. Both I believe would be hardy to your area:
cl Zeus...3" blooms on a vigorous bush. Light fragrance when brought inside but very mild fragrance on the bush. No BS or mildew.
Harisoni's Yellow...beautiful bloom but needle sharp stickers. Once bloom. Moderate fragrance. Tough as old boots just about sums it up. It suckers. I love this rose. It's in the worst part of the garden as the wind is terrible there and it doesnt care.
Julia Child...ok so I cant count... no disease. Lovely fragrance. Blooming machine from June till first hard frost...about Thanksgiving. It only been here 2 summers, the bush is 2 foot tall and about as wide.
Jeannie

o

For a repeat bloomer in a no-spray garden I'd recommend 'Carefree Sunshine,' a dense, leafy shrub that repeats very fast if it is deadheaded--as it produces a great number of hips, I use hedge clippers to deadhead it. The soft medium yellow doesn't clash with anything (as orange- and green-tinted yellows can do). Slight, pleasant fragrance.

If you want a double flower, then 'Prairie Harvest,' which has hybrid-tea-like blooms, although they shatter rather quickly. Very pale yellow with a light fragrance. 'Irish Hope' is resistant in some Eastern gardens, depending on the strains of blackspot that are present. 'Molineux' is a good rose for me, but needs spraying.

o

Goldfinch - lovely, leafy multiflora rambler - not too big.
Hugonis and relatives - cantabridgiensis, earldomensis, headleyensis.
R.primula - my very first wildling, along with moyesii - always a place in my heart
Lykkefund - a fantastic helenae hybrid
all these are once flowering.
Repeating roses are still not much bettered by Graham Thomas, a rampant Austin.

o

I'm always surprised to find out that I don't grow many yellows--because I really like yellows. Austin's Molineux is one of my favorite roses--grows about 3 ft tall, a bit vertical rather than a rounded bush form, which is why I grow 3 of them together (planted about 18 in apart) so that it looks like one full bush. I'm quite happy with that arrangement. The color is variable--sometimes nearly yellow-gold, other times yellow with apricot highlighted centers, sometimes nearly pink highlights, other times a yellow and creamy blend. I enjoy its changeability--but always yellow, despite the various blends and highlights it picks up. It is hardy to Zone 5 and has some fragrance (if I remember correctly), although fragrance is not its strong point. Good disease resistance most the time, although occasionally it has a few BS problems, but nothing severe.

If you want to get into modern hybrid teas, I can suggest several, but yellow is an often missing color in older roses--or the yellows are so pastel that they don't make much of a statement in the garden.

Kate

o

I've been waiting for someone to add Grandma's Yellow...While it is not an Old Garden Rose technically, it is hardy, long-blooming and has a sweet scent....so I thought I would add it to the listing!

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 12, 12 at 12:26

I will second Julia Child. She's been a wonderful performer for me.

o

I agree with Michael about Carefree Sunshine. Incidentally yellow roses, by and large, are not going to be happy in a spray-free garden save Carefree Sunshine.

It has to do with DNA. It is a learning curve and a failure curve, but trust me, Carefree Sunshine and Crepuscule for non-spray gardens. Otherwise, no yellows, Fellows.

o

well, Patricae, as long as the dreaded Austrian briar is not part of the lineage, I have found that none of my best yellows need any spraying - although the yellow is a much softer paler shade than many of the modern yellows.

o

Hello to Patricia, who has, or used to have, a row of Carefree Sunshine as a gorgeous foundation planting.

Campanula, the once-blooming early yellows are disease resistant in the eastern US, but over 99% of the repeaters will defoliate from blackspot.

o

Golden Border, aka Comtesse du Barry--small, fragrant, clean-leaved (pressure here is mainly for rust and mildew and it gets NONE), almost completely thornless, and very, very floriforous (bloomed thru December of last year for me and has so many blooms it obliterates the foliage). Flowers last a long time on the plant too. Light to medium yellow. Fairly new to the US and not easy to find. Angel Gardens has recently imported GB but it is still in quarantine. I bought both mother plants Eurodesert had. Photo page at HMF: http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.24053.1&tab=36

R. alabukensis. Cute, cute, cute! A small mound covered in dark green many-leaved leaflets and dotted with charming light yellow single flowers. A once bloomer (probably, but it may get scattered later repeat). Unique and utterly charming as a garden plant. Scented of linseed oil. No sign of disease in my garden (which is no-spray). Shade tolerant. Suckers. I have 3 plants already. Available from a nursery in Canada that doesn't ship and Vintage carries the double version (although I've never noticed it being in stock, or you guessed it, I'd order one). Photo page from HMF: http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.37335.0&tab=36

R. primula. I've only had this rose since December when it arrived bareroot from Pickering, but already it is a distinct favorite. It is blooming NOW! Very interesting and attractive habit of flowering directly out of the stems, starting at the base of the plant (I'm gonna have to take pics of this). Small canary yellow flowers of the clearest shade and of a delicate shape. Beautiful thorns (yes, they can be pretty!). I haven't checked the scent yet or crushed the leaves to experience the incense aroma for which this rose is famous. I may order more I like this one so much.

R. foetida Persiana. The most saturated yellow I've ever seen on a rose. Nothing other that YELLOW. This color goes well with other old garden roses without clashing like some modern roses. Globular bloom shape. Scented of linseed oil. And much to my surprise not a trace of disease here (I keep glancing warily at it, expecting the plant to go up in a puff of smoke, such is its reputation as a harbinger of disease). I hope it suckers because I want more of this rose. Photo page on HMF: http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.5316.2&tab=36

Emil Nolde. A brilliant clear and saturated yellow. Flowers kind of like Sunsprite but last longer. Interesting shiny mid green foliage. Fragrant. Healthy here and growing well in partial shade. Mine is a mother plant from Eurodesert. I don't see any north American sources on HMF, sad to say. Photo page on HMF: http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.38157.0&tab=36

Eurostar, aka Marselisborg Castle, Schloss Neuschwanstein and a handful of other monikers. Looks like an Austin. Flowers remind me of a bowl full of lemons--cupped, packed with petals and oh-so fragrant. The draw back is the weaponized canes, and I mean it!!!! Purchased from Eurodesert and came home in a 15-gallon pot. The only rose that I had to tie a rope around the canes to pull it out of the pot. There was just no safe way to get my hands inside that pot without getting wounded, even through thick leather gloves. Decided this was one rose, that once planted would NEVER be moved.;) Grows narrow and upright. Pretty foliage, glossy and clean. The flowers on mine resemble the deeper yellow ones on HMF. HMF photo page, http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.18479.0&tab=36

Happy Child. Small and appealing Austin rose with flat, crammed-with-petals fragrant flowers. Another charmer for the front of the flower bed. No disease here. An offspring of Iceberg, so perhaps if that rose thrives in your garden, this one might like your conditions too. In my garden, a neighbor of Golden Border, R. alabukensis, Clotilde Soupert, Europas Rosengarten, Marchesa Boccella, and Jenny Duval. HMF photo page: http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.1877.0&tab=36

Mermaid, a huge and rampant climber. Repeat flowers most of the year for me. Very impressive thorns that make a dense stand of this plant an effective barrier to intrusion. Has single, light yellow flowers. Easy care. I have it planted by a mostly year-round stream. I never prune it or need to feed it. It makes a glorious sight with the dark green leaves climbing through the trees, showing off the pastel yellow flowers. Photo page on HMF: http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.4234.1&tab=36

Other yellows I have and like are Irish Hope (very new, so not much to say yet) and R. xanthina (bigger, looser flowers than primula, I like primula better). William's Double Yellow is a new bareroot, and it is just barely leafing out. From pics, I expect I will like it. Harison's Yellow is scheduled to arrive next week from Greenmantle.

Melissa

o
less yellow and more apricot/peach

If you like apricot/peach, then you might like the 1912 polyantha Jeanny Soupert. I saw it at Eurodesert Roses last spring and was going to buy it for its yellow and white flowers. However, the rose changed during the month of May (perhaps due to the warming weather) from having flowers ranging from yellow and white to flowers going from apricot/peach to pink and white. I don't do apricot, so I didn't buy it. However, it was otherwise a very appealing plant to me. It seems fairly unnoticed. Vintage has it, but the picture of it there is of a spent bloom, and I think it is a more attractive rose than the picture indicates.

Melissa

Here is a link that might be useful: Jeanny Soupert on HMF

o

yep, will second that, welcome back, patricae, from whatever forum wilderness you have been in lately. Cheers, Suzy

o

Lucky us in the desert West, land of no black spot. Here, yellows do as well as any other color, as far as diseases go. I didn't even realize yellows had those extra problems. Diane

o

This is easy. Any of early oriental yellows, for example hugonis, primula, Canary Bird, etc will qualify. They are disease resitant, fragrant, have good vase life and bloom earlier than you can imagine.
Olga

o

My zone is very different from yours but here goes:

Modern Roses:
Mellow Yellow
Sunsprite
St. Patrick

Austins:
Molineux
Golden Celebration
Teasing Georgia

OGR
Reve d'Or

Good luck with your search!
Lee

o

DW likes 'Charlotte' and I have hidden it in the lower 40. Me bad!
I had planned to move it this last Fall. It has not got done yet.

Here is a link that might be useful: Charlotte

o

I agree with the early yellows such as Primula, Hugonis, and Cantabrigiensis.

I've also had good health and vigor with Teasing Georgia, an Austin that repeats very well, and I don't spray. Golden Wings is a lovely, lovely single rose but it tends to blackspot by mid-late summer.

o

Wow, thanks folks. Lots to choose from!

o

'Mermaid' is my favorite. I love Tea roses and it's one of my favorite Tea-Hybrids. I have A "Mermaid' espaliered on a 30 foot wide trellis in my backyard.
I also like Moores 'Yellow Butterfly' which has a bloom form and color similar to Mermaid' but it is a much smaller plant, of c. 3' by slightly wider, far less prickly and the foliage is a dark green which contrasts beautifully with the masses of light yellow roses. Very rapid re-bloom.
'Etoille de Lyon' I had this Tea in a bouquet with several blooms of the very fragrant H.T. 'Lemon Spice' which my neighbor grows and except for the size of bloom and fragrance, I could not tell them apart until I smelled them. Etoille de Lyon smells like honeysuckle and cream to me. I mention this for the hardier H.T. reference.
I love 'Graham Stewart' best of all the yellow Austins.
R, primula for a hardy yellow wild rose. I love how it blooms here when the leaves are still reddish which forms a very striking background for the dainty yellow blossoms.
It has such fragrant foliage I can see why it is nicknamed the 'Incense rose"
I love yellow roses planted with purple flowered perennials.
Lux

o

• Posted by elks US5 Can6 (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 15, 12 at 6:29

Lux,

I'm so envious of your Mermaid, a rose that will not survive here in Ontario.

Here, in my colder, no-spray garden, I have many yellows to oranges, but few OGRs. Those that remain well-clad throughout the season and have scent are Sunsprite (Koresia) and Maid of Honor, which is more of buff colour. Carefree Sunshine also does well, but is rather small.

Steve

o

Thanks, I sometimes think what I'd do if I moved back to the Great North, and couldn't grow 'Mermaid' or my Tea roses, I think I'd grow more Scotch Burnet and Alba roses probably.

Two more roses I love, Marie Curie' the older one from the 1940's, and 'Dr. Brownell' 1964
A note about Pernetiana roses, since we're discussing yellow roses for cold climates.
This will be old news to many of you but I thought I'd add it .
Some gardeners today, take yellow remontant roses of a strong hue, for granted. But until 1900 there were no deep yellow remontant roses that could be grown in a cold climate until 1900, when Monsieur Pernet-Ducher introduced "Soliel d'Or', a golden orange cold hardy, remontant rose. He had intended to breed a yellow Hybrid Perpetual, by using R. foetida 'Persiana' crossed with a garden rose hybrid. His rose became the primogeniture rose of an entirely new class of rose, named Pernetiana after him, a group of cold hardy flame and yellow roses. That class is now subsumed into Hybrid Tea, but I'd like it to remain for historical reasons.
I recently wandered through a Pernetiana collection and saw planted near it 'Marie Curie' syn Quebec , which was introduced about a decade after the Pernetiana era, it is a wonderfully clear yellow and has semi-glossy green foliage which makes it more disease resistant than most flame and yellow hued roses.
Because that gorgeous wild rose, 'Persiana' introduced the tendency for modern roses to get blackspot in a really big way.

I was amazed and pleased to see that a very pretty clear medium yellow rose named 'Marie Curie' was being sold this month by the largest Canadian nursery, but darn and darn again, it is a new cultivar given the same name. I hate it when two roses have the same name. The very pretty yellow rose I love named 'Marie Curie' has the synonym of 'Quebec' and it is more disease resistant to p.m, b.s. and rust, than 90% of the more than 250 rose cultivars in a local public no-spray garden in Oakland, California.
I have a letter of permission to take cuttings there and I intend to take some this summer.

Hortico.com just added "Dr. Brownell" to their catalog and I'm pleased to see it, of all the buff-apricot modern roses, it is one of my 3 favorites, because the blooms are so large and hefty, with rounded bases and a more relaxed bloom style than the typical post-Peace H.T..
The bush is very attractive; a wide and spreading plant, here c. 4 and 1/2 feet tall by 5 and 1/2 feet wide, with lots of dark green leaves, with big rounded leaflets.
It is also in my list of the top 10% of the most disease resistant roses, grown locally, where powdery mildew is the main culprit and blackspot a runner up.

Lux.

o

That's interesting Lux that you found that the pretty yellow rose Marie Curie is disease resistant, considering it descends from Persiana. I'm beginning to wonder about the Persiana connection to disease, particularly blackspot. Maybe it doesn't pass the problem on consistantly, or maybe it isn't the only source of blackspot susceptibility.

Has anyone grown the rugosa rose Agnes? If so, what have been your experiences with it disease wise? Agnes has Persiana as one of its parents. On HMF, for Agnes, it says, "Disease susceptibility: disease resistant, susceptible to rust ." No mention of blackspot at all. So does it get blackspot?

Melissa

o

Hi-- Nice to see you posting------I agree with Patricia--I love Carefree sunshine---My garden is "survival of the fittess"---and it is a wonderful fragrant single flower rose bush---

Florence---

o

How yellow are Perle des Jardins and Etoile de Lyon?

o

I'd like to mention the granddaddy yellow garden rose of them all, R. hemisphaerica 'Multiplex'. I have an own-root plant which, most sincerely, is the joy of my life when it blooms. Yes, it's a once-bloomer; but the cherished memory of those magnificent yellow blossoms lives with one all year. The plant, with its dainty glaucous ocean-green foliage and prickly shoots, sorts perfectly with the blossoms; in the garden, it makes a welcome personality-filled "statement" all its own. It has gotten a bum rap over the centuries, in my opinion, as--at least with my own-root specimen--the flowers come just fine, the flowers not aborting or coming malformed with any greater frequency than any other old rose, and indeed less often than is the case with (similarly-beloved) 'Souvenir de la Malmaison'. Considering both garden beauty and rose history, it wouldn't be too much to say that no rose garden specializing in yellow roses would be complete without a specimen of R. hemisphaerica 'Multiplex'. Hard as it is to come by, especially as an own-root, the single version is even rarer (does anyone know of a source in the U.S. for the single?). Anyone who can find one for sale, anyone who has room for a shrub rose, anyone who loves yellow roses owes it to themselves to grow R. hemisphaerica!

o

I like New Day, Elina, Charlotte, Lemon Spice and Jude the Obscure

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here