Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alameda_gw

Rebar Arbors/Tripods

Some time ago, Robert posted some great photos of his rebar tripods. I have looked for them with no success. Does anyone have any photos to share of their tripods? I just transplanted Fellemberg and I understand it is a good rose to put on a tripod. I have some long lengths of rebar and would be interested in learing how to construct a tripod for this rose. Thanks!

Judith

Comments (8)

• sherryocala
    15 years ago

{{gwi:233258}}
    Judith, here's Prosperity on my version of a tripod. I planted the rose in the middle, but others have said to plant on one of the sides. I had the bright idea to bend the ends to allow for a billowing effect someday. Don't know if it was a good idea. I used a hose clamp at the top, and I think this is 1/2" rebar. They're about 3' apart and go down 2' into our sandy ground, and it doesn't wobble. I wrap canes around the tripod as horizontal as possible, tying to rebar and other canes. This rose needs tying often as the side shoots grow fast unless you have extra room.

Sherry

• rjlinva
    15 years ago

Judith,

I usually add the rebar after I've planted the rose. Also, I've learned that it is better to make the "base" of teepee a bit wider (at least 2.5"-3") equilateral triangle. I had a narrower base, and, when the rose got top heavy, the teepee leaned over. I've got VERY sandy soil too.

Robert

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Robert, I was hoping you would see this post. As luck would have it, I did plant the rose just yesterday. If I remember.......you used a pipe clamp or ?? for the top? How do you put that on there? I have the rebar already as I was going to try that last summer but didnt get around to it. Now it seems Fellemberg will be the ideal rose for this project. Do you have a link to those great photos you posted? Thanks so much!
    Judith

• Terry Crawford
    15 years ago

Judith, I have a tripod post saved in my Favorites. I don't know if this is the one you were thinking of, but hope it helps.
    -terry

Here is a link that might be useful: What's the point of a tripod?

• rjlinva
    15 years ago

The hose clamp is really quite easy to use. I just slide the tops of all three of the pieces of rebar (once they are inserted firmly into the ground)through the hose clamp, and then I use a screwdriver to tighten the hose clamp while adjusting the rebar.

Robert

• greybird
    15 years ago

Thanks for getting the rebar thread started again, I had forgotten about this ingenuous trick. I have several climbers that need a teepee.

Sherry, I love your take on the T-P, how did you get that creative bend on the rebar?

• sherryocala
    15 years ago

greybird, creativity is easier than the doing for a brain that gravitates naturally to the unorthodox, sometimes maddeningly. Of course, the doer is my DH who got a rebar bender online that did the job - only 1/2" & smaller though.

Sherry