Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jannorcal

Noisette Roses - 19th Century Charlestons Gift to the World

15 years ago

This is the name of a new book available via the Charleston Horticultural Society.

I just ordered a copy, so have not seen the book yet. But it has been highly recommended by others.

See their website re: ordering information:

http://www.charlestonhorticulturalsociety.org/

The Heritage Rose Foundation provided grant money for this book and the Charleston Horticultural Society indicates that this is part of why the book is so inexpensive.

A good reason to join the HRF if you are not already a memeber:

http://www.heritagerosefoundation.org/

Janelle

Here is a link that might be useful: Charleston Horticultural Society

Comments (17)

• 15 years ago

Thanks for the heads up. That looks to be a great book. America's own class of OGR.

Randy

• 15 years ago

Bill Grant says that it's one everyone needs to own.
    Well, Bill's another Californian But I'd agree that all of us in mild climates probably need it, eh?

Jeri

• 15 years ago

Below is a link to a view of the cover of the book.

Randy

Here is a link that might be useful: Cover of Book

• 15 years ago

Thanks very much for the info - I just called them and ordered one - $17.00 - what a steal! Thanks, HRF! I am so happy that books on old roses that do well in warm areas are coming out - the Australian book on teas, and now a book on noisettes!

I do get tired when rose folks (frequently in ARS publications, and I have seen it in my local "rose society" too) refer to all old roses as "once bloomers". Of course, they are refering to most of the old European roses, which don't do well in our climate here anyway. The people who think old roses are all once bloomers should see my noisettes, chinas & teas, which usually have some bloom for 10 - 11 months. Pruning some of them this month and last, I am cutting off buds (you get used to it).

Now, if we could have a book on chinas....anybody know of one available or being written? (One thing it would NOT say about pruning - "Be sure to cut off all twiggy growth" !).

Jackie

• 15 years ago

Jackie, I absolutely agree about the frustration of people thinking that all "old roses" are once-bloomers. I was just talking to someone about the rose sale we'll have at the Sacramento cemetery open garden, and he asked "Are any of your roses repeat blooming?" He was stunned when I answered that almost ALL of them repeat - we propagate the roses that people love and that do well in Sacramento, which are HPs, Chinas, Teas, HMS and, of course, noisettes.

Sounds like another book that has to go on my shelf. I need another shelf....
    Anita

• 15 years ago

I just ordered, also Roger Mann's book on rose names. I just got Stephen's. A good spring for books.

• 15 years ago

Now, if we could have a book on chinas....anybody know of one available or being written? (One thing it would NOT say about pruning - "Be sure to cut off all twiggy growth" !).

*** It's AMAZING how difficult it is to get that point across!
    Even people who have some experience with roses find it difficult to block that business of removing twiggy growth from their minds -- when dealing with China Roses.
    I've had people say: "But shouldn't I at least clean out the center? Shouldn't I AT LEAST remove some of the twiggy growth?"
    It's just so in-grained in people's minds.

Jeri

• 15 years ago

Certainly, the CHS is a good and worthy place to buy this book. But just so you'll know, HRF will also be selling it. Our shipment was just a bit later arriving. Watch the HRF website if you want to order it there.
    Malcolm

Here is a link that might be useful: HRF website

• 15 years ago

Thank your for sharing that information, Janeen. I need this book :-).
    Thanks Malcolm, I'll wait and order mine from the HRF.

Carol

• 15 years ago

Yes, I agree ... next, we need a book devoted to china roses.

Randy

• 15 years ago

My copy just arrived. Ultra-fast service. It's a lovely book, gorgeous photosand so far nicely written. They've divided the catalog section into identified and found roses, and the found gives a bit of history on the where/when/who, which is fun.

• 15 years ago

Is there a list of lost/temporarily misplaced noisettes?

• 15 years ago

The Noisette Roses Book is now available for International Shipping on the HRF Website.

Here is a link that might be useful: Buy it Now!

• 15 years ago

Is there a list of lost/temporarily misplaced noisettes?

*** MANOMAN, would THAT ever be valuable!

Jeri

• 15 years ago

A list of lost/temporarily misplaced Noisettes would indeed be valuable -- esp if it sparked interest that led to the rediscovery of some of the long- and mysteriously misplaced ones.

I'll keep hoping that news comes some fine day announcing that the Noisette-Tea Noisette 'Madame Chauvry' with her large apricot blooms has at last been found growing happily in some out-of-the-way garden.

• 15 years ago

Thank you Etienne. I'll get mine ordered.

Carol

• 13 years ago

Just posting to recommend this book again. I really enjoyed it. I'm from Charleston (grew up there) so I really enjoyed learning more about the history and I also liked the reviews and opinions on various noisettes in the book. It's a lovely book and definitely worth the read.