Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
czarmgtt

Complicata

czarmgtt
12 years ago

Can someone tell me where I can obtain a plant of R. Gallica "Complicata"?

Comments (11)

• phoebe
    12 years ago

Czarmgtt, the best place to research roses is at HMF (helpmefind.com) I see that you are in zone 10 and all I've read is that some of the Gallica roses don't really like hot dry climates, others will have more to say on what this type of rose likes.

I did look up Complicata at HMF, and Rogue Valley Roses has it on their list (click on the green tabs across the top of information page for Complicata.) Vintage Gardens has it on their list, but it will have to be custom rooted, and Angel Gardens (angelgardens.com) has it for sale in a quart size, and a gallon size.

If Gallica roses don't work very well in your area, there are other shrub roses that have a similar look-and some of them will have more fragrance, or repeat. I've also heard that some Gallica will have fall color, but I don't know about that particular one.

Supposedly Monet grew Complicata in his garden at Giverny.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rogue Valley Roses Complicata

• melissa_thefarm
    12 years ago

'Complicata' roots easily (and suckers) if you can find someone who has a plant. It's not pure Gallica by any means. I don't know how it would do in your area, though I can say that it doesn't mind hot dry summers.
    Best wishes for a successful search!
    Melissa

• phoebe
    12 years ago

Melissa, thanks for the info, I've been trying to find out what they like, can you give us more information?

I had a small band from Vintage Gardens, but it didn't survive this year, it was still in a pot. I want to try them, but before I killed any more plants, I wanted to know more about them since we do have water most summers, it's hot/dry/humid when it rains, and it stays hot overnight in the summer, about 80F, down from 110F+ We also get blackspot, and our soil is acid rocky clay, I think you have alkaline soils, so is that a factor???

I do have a question out there right now on the older classes of roses. And I've done a fair amoiunt of reading, and have sent a few emails to some nurseries, but so far no replies as yet. So I'm hoping more of you will fill in both our gaps on Gallica roses.

"What classes of roses take hot/humid/cold/dry?"

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    12 years ago

The biggest problem you will probably hit with the once bloomers is that if you get real heat while they are in bloom, the bloom will end overnight. That will be it until next year. The spinossisimas work better because they bloom earlier, so are less likely to see the heat.

• czarmgtt
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks to all (esp. Phoebe) for your responses. I'm still very new to the Rose Forum, and it seems like an amazing resource!

• phoebe
    12 years ago

Czar, Mad Gallica is the one to thank, I think she grows quite a few of gallica, her posts got me interested in them. I know Melissa grows them as well. Mad gallica's comment on growing spinosissima roses might work for you as well, if you have a very short spring. I'd like to know more myself, I don't want to kill anymore roses.

• sc_gardener
    12 years ago

I got mine from Pickering. I really like it a lot and have it in semi shade and it does well, blooms once a year. It gets big. zone 5 here.

• melissa_thefarm
    12 years ago

Phoebe,
    I truly can't help you because my conditions are so different from yours. I would say that my climate is on the cusp between Mediterranean and continental. We have hot dry summers with low humidity, and so relatively fresh nights, and wet winters that give lots of chill hours but during which the temperature rarely falls below 20F. Our soil is heavy clay, probably either neutral or somwhat alkaline (I've never had it tested). As you see, conditions that are very different from yours. That's why I didn't respond to your post: I knew that my experiences wouldn't be relevant to your area. I hope other gardeners from the eastern and central U.S. have spoken and will speak up. They're the ones you need to hear from.
    About brief bloom because of heat, yes, that's happened to me too. I plant my Gallicas in the coolest parts of my garden, in part shade, which helps, but they need a mild spring to be really good. Centifolias likewise appreciate part shade and cooler conditions, while Albas and Damasks seem to be more tolerant of sun and heat. I would like to hear what others have to say about that.
    Melissa

• phoebe
    12 years ago

Melissa, thanks-even though our climates are different, knowing what those types of roses like is just as important as what they don't. It seems that cool weather is the operative factor, especially those overnights, and spring seasons.

Connie of Hartwood Roses in Virginia grows a few Gallica, and other old classes, but she doesn't get the extreme cold we usually get in zone 5. she does have humid heat, she can grow some of the Tea roses. I should try sending her another email.

Most of the gardeners' lists at HMF for this central Plains area have Hybrid Teas, with very few of the old roses; the same goes for the public gardens, so no chance of firsthand experience.

If Czarmgtt's location cools off then they would have similar success as have you that do grow them. It sounds like I'll have to keep gathering more info for right now.

• luxrosa
    12 years ago

I suggest you check the plant list for San Jose Heritage Rose Garden for their Gallica roses that they grow.
    the summer temps there are 10 to 20 degrees hotter than where I live less than 80 miles away, closer to San Francisco, ca.
    'de la Grifferaie' which I believe has some China rose genetic influence, blooms well near where I live, where it is grown as a self supporting 6 foot tall bush with the canes arching over and forming an umbel shape on the top third. Its' light fragrance suffuses the air around the plant and it is a glory to see and smell. It has a slightly longer bloom cycle than most Alba and Gallica rosebushes produce.

Lux.

• cath41
    12 years ago

I have grown the Apothecary Rose (Rosa gallica 'Officinalis'), Rosa Mundi its variegated sport and Belle de Crecy. All have done well. The Belle de Crecy was own root and suckered madly. The other two were some own root and some grafted. Our climate here near Dayton Ohio is similar to yours. Our winter lows are about -10F and our summers are a little cooler than yours but possibly more humid. The high summer temperatures are usually in the nineties but occasionally above 100F. However, we often have what we call "90 and 90", that is, ninety degrees F and ninety percent humidity. Hope this helps.

Cath