Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pootpoot1_gw

Antiques for the Inland Empire?

pootpoot1
10 years ago

Hello all. I'm thinking about getting more roses for this spring. But which will do well in the heat of the inland empire? Some of my roses were burned by the heat, so I keep them in containers just incase it needed to be moved. But I really want to plant one in the ground, I'm just hesitant because I want to pick the ones that can go against the 100+ heat. Should I plant them on a specific side? East? West? My house faces up north.

Comments (6)

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

If you can plant roses where they'll get morning sun and afternoon shade that would be best. Le Vesuve, a tea rose, can stand more sun as long as you keep it watered and mulched. The same is true for Belinda's Dream which is not an old rose but is a big shrub that looks good with the old roses. Souvenir de la Malmaison is good in the heat and blooms almost all year, but again afternoon shade is best. Roses don't really like morning shade and hot afternoon sun. Sophy's Rose, an Austin, also does well in the heat, as does Mrs. B.R. Cant. Heavy mulching and regular watering are very important in the heat. If your soil is poor adding compost, used coffee grounds and fruit and vegetable scraps will help.

Ingrid

• pootpoot1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Ingrid, you have certainly helped a lot! I just ordered SDLM, I hope its as lovely as everyone says it is. I will definitely consider these roses. Thanks again!

• damask55linen
    10 years ago

Have you been to Northland Rosarium in Spokane? Carol would have some good info, I gather she mostly sells roses that will do well .
    It's the same challenge I'm faced with, the roses don't get enough sun on the North, and too much on the other sides.
    I'm thinking of trying Madame Alfred.

• organic_tosca
    10 years ago

I had some roses that were in pots and which didn't (alas) get any morning sun. They got afternoon sun and heat. None of them really loved those conditions, but one that really surprised me was Mlle. Jeanne Philippe, a Tea from 18?? (can't remember exactly). Described as apricot, it was more of a gold/yellow for me, with a rose tinge in cooler weather. It had a lovely, graceful growth habit, and it bloomed far more than my others. In the end, I gave all my roses away, for their sakes and my own (the light they got was rapidly dwindling due to some trees, and wrestling with the pots was getting to be too much for me).
    MJP doesn't seem to be very well-known, and perhaps it has problems that I never got to find out about, but it was a wonderful rose for me. It has a small spreading habit, and the blooms are small and went from lightly double to pretty full.
    I believe it's on Help Me Find.

• pootpoot1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Damask55 - No I haven't, but I'll be sure to go! (someday)
    My neighbor's roses do very well, but she puts them under and in between small trees that are probably no more than 15 ft & they're on the south side too. I thought that would be the worst place, but I guess not for her.

Organictosca - I looked it up, and wow there's not much pictures of it at all. It looks like MJP is growing in a few more California gardens than the rest of the states. If I can get my hands on it I'll try it out.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

I forgot to mention Bishop's Castle, one of the Austin roses, that has done very well for me in the sun. It's beautiful, fragrant and has been pretty well disease free. Another great rose in the heat is Carding Mill, great bloomer, the blooms don't fry and very healthy. I only gave it up because the colors didn't go well with my mostly pink and purple garden, but it's a winner in the heat otherwise. La France, either the climber or the bush (I have two of the bush) is one of my favorites, very good in the heat and I love the blooms and the fragrance. Souvenir du President Carnot, which I think Rogue Valley Roses has, is a great early hybrid tea that's beautiful and very good in the heat. I just bought my second band of it not long ago. I almost forgot one of my all-time favorite roses, Mutabilis, which needs a lot of space but I wouldn't ever be without it.

Ingrid