Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phil_schorr

Rosa rugosa alba

phil_schorr
12 years ago

Does anyone grow R. rugosa alba? If so, what zone are you in and how big does it grow for you? If you have deer, do they eat it or leave it alone/ Thanks.

Comments (6)

• lucretia1
    12 years ago

I had several of them. I've mostly gotten rid of them, but they come back for a while. They probably got about 6' tall, and suckered like crazy to spread. No deer, so don't know how they'd handle them, although I've cut them down to the ground and had them come back with no problems. A very nice rose--pretty bush, lovely hips, lovely, fragrant flowers with repeat blooms, gorgeous clear yellow fall color. Very healthy no-spray. They were just too big and thorny for our application, and were spreading too much. Would make a great hedge in a rural setting. You'll also get seedlings coming up.

• TNY78
    12 years ago

Phil, I'm a new zone 7a (I was 6b until the new map came out recently). I have one Rosa Rugosa Alba that is own root. It is a 3 year old plant, and I would say close to 5 feet tall. I'm sure it does sucker since its own root, but I have it as a specimin plant in the middle of the yard, so I just mow around it and the suckers are cut along with the grass. Beautiful spring flush last year! Don't know about deer. I have a lot of deer near my house, but my yard is fenced and I have dogs (I've had more mole and rabbit problems lately than anything...ugh!)
    ~Tammy

• grandmothers_rose z6b
    12 years ago

I agree with the size and suckering. I grew it also and loved the strongly scented perfectly white single blooms. VERY thorny. I shovel pruned it because it attracted every single Japanese beetle in the neighborhood. Frau Dagmar Hastrup was also lovely, disease free with shimmery pink flowers and met the same fate. I have way fewer JB's now. You all didn't have problems with the JB's?? Amazing. I don't have deer, but the rabbits never bothered either bush.

I made some pretty "chocolate leaves" from their leaves, too.

• rosefolly
    12 years ago

I don't think deer would leave any roses alone, but this rose might be vigorous enough to endure their attentions and still survive, provided it had been protected while getting established. Absolutely wonderful fragrance. As for the Japanese beetles, well, they actually like all roses, but they do indeed seem to have a special taste for rugosas. Again, this rose is so vigorous that it would probably survive if protected while still small.

I do not grow it here in California where I live. This is not great rugosa country. But I grew up in Pennsylvania (zone 5) and my father grew them, which is where I learned to love them.

Rosefolly

• TNY78
    12 years ago

Grandmother's Rose, My yard has been infested with japanese beetles every year since I bought my house 5 years ago...terrible little things! I never really attributed it to the roses, but you may have a point :)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!