Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
malcolm_manners

Ruth's Rose Garden at Florida Southern College

malcolm_manners
10 years ago

The garden was near peak bloom this week. New photos are posted!

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to rose garden photos on flickr

Comments (21)

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    10 years ago

Thank you for sharing the pictures, Malcolm. The roses are very pretty.

My roses are just waking up, so this is a good reminder of what we will see in a few weeks.

Sammy

• plantloverkat north Houston - 9a
    10 years ago

What a lovely tour! Thanks so much for sharing these photos.

• Leighsroses
    10 years ago

Malcolm,
    Thanks so much for sharing! I rarely post, but I want to thank you for being such an invaluable resource! I am lucky to be 45 mins away from the FSC campus and am hoping to see it(the new garden) today. I always look for your posts and comments as they are so pertinent to roses in central Florida.
    Leigh

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

I'm afraid Kansas is a bit too far from Florida for me to pop in and enjoy first hand such a lovely rose garden, so thank you for providing for my vicarious enjoyment. Wonderful garden!

Kate

• mendocino_rose
    10 years ago

Thanks Malcolm.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

Malcolm, I thoroughly enjoyed this. Many roses there are old friends. This will look spectacular in two or three years, and I hope you'll let us have a peek as it progresses every year.

Ingrid

• catspa_NoCA_Z9_Sunset14
    10 years ago

Thank you for the lovely show, Malcolm! A question: is the Flamingo Gardens tea thought to be Souv. de Pierre Notting? Noticing the similarity with the photos close together.

I was particularly taken by that photo of the nodding bloom of Soncy (love those yellow teas).

• rosefolly
    10 years ago

I am happy to have had a chance to enjoy this garden at an earlier stage. Thanks for showing us how it developed.

Folly

• malcolm_manners
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Catspa, That's the question -- are they the same rose? We've only recently noticed the similarity in our gardens. Malcolm

• malcolm_manners
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Leighsroses, From pruning to full bloom was just over 7 weeks for most varieties; true musk roses and some early Noisettes are taking closer to 9 weeks. Had we pruned later (e.g., March 1, our normal date), I'd think they would take 5-10 days less, due to the higher average temperature.

The PVC stakes are for support in wind. Plants on 'Fortuniana' roots never develop physical strength, even though it's a tough-as-nails rootstock in all other respects.

• Leighsroses
    10 years ago

Thanks for that info, Malcolm. I noticed that many of the noisettes hadn't bloomed yet, so I'll have to come back to see them later!

• avalon2007
    10 years ago

Dr. Manners- Thanks so much for posting the wonderful pictures of the garden. All my life I have been told that roses can't be grown in FL! To which I say, "Ha, look at this!"

Are all of these roses on Fortuniana? Almost all of the Fortuniana-grafted roses in my garden have died, so I am sticking with own-root roses. Maybe it's my fault they died, but it seems like there was an awful lot of graft rejection/separation.

• malcolm_manners
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, most are on Fortuniana. A few Chinas are not (Napoleon, Old Blush, Louis Philippe, Cramoisi Superieur), but nearly everything else. I've only seen graft separateion with 'Hermosa'.
    MM

• sabalmatt_tejas
    10 years ago

Malcolm- thanks for the wonderful pics. Alot has changed since I visited in 2011 during the citrus conference. I really like the looks of Leonie Lamesch and your seedling from Home Run- great color on that one.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    10 years ago

Malcolm - Thank you for sharing all the pictures of some really beautiful roses, it was very enjoyable.

• PRO
    Contech
    6 years ago

Dr. Malcolm, I visited your beautiful rose garden while on a tour of the college campus last year. The tour guide mentioned that there is a thousand year old rose in that garden. Might that be a rose of Hildeshiem?

• rhoder551 zone 9b-10
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

The George Manners was my absolute favorite, gorgeous photos... thank you for sharing.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    6 years ago

The thousand-year-old rose might also have been Old Blush, which is believed to be an ancient rose in China, although it came to the west in the 1700's, I believe.

• rosesmi5a
    6 years ago

What a well-planned garden! How do you keep the mowers from denting/crushing the metal edging? I really noticed the ample spacing between plants -- I appreciate the planning for future growth. As a northerner, I appreciated the chance to see some of the lovely teas -- how beautiful and healthy they all looked! -- Sunny

• malcolm_manners
    Original Author
    6 years ago

plj1606 et al., It is unfortunate that the campus tour guides always, without exception, get some aspect of their story wrong. It's a running joke -- what will they make up about the garden next? I complain frequently and vigorously, but it continues. So I'm not sure what the "thousand year rose" story is about; it could refer to 'Autumn Damask' which, of course, is a 2000+ year rose, so they've severely underestimated it if that's the case.