Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ruth's Rose Garden at Florida Southern College

Posted by malcolm_manners 9b C. Fla. (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 23, 14 at 0:55

The garden was near peak bloom this week. New photos are posted!

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to rose garden photos on flickr

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ruth's Rose Garden at Florida Southern College

Thank you for sharing the pictures, Malcolm. The roses are very pretty.

My roses are just waking up, so this is a good reminder of what we will see in a few weeks.

Sammy

o

What a lovely tour! Thanks so much for sharing these photos.

o

Malcolm,
Thanks so much for sharing! I rarely post, but I want to thank you for being such an invaluable resource! I am lucky to be 45 mins away from the FSC campus and am hoping to see it(the new garden) today. I always look for your posts and comments as they are so pertinent to roses in central Florida.
Leigh

o

I'm afraid Kansas is a bit too far from Florida for me to pop in and enjoy first hand such a lovely rose garden, so thank you for providing for my vicarious enjoyment. Wonderful garden!

Kate

o

Thanks Malcolm.

o

Malcolm, I thoroughly enjoyed this. Many roses there are old friends. This will look spectacular in two or three years, and I hope you'll let us have a peek as it progresses every year.

Ingrid

o

• Posted by catspa NoCA Z9 Sunset 14 (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 23, 14 at 23:23

Thank you for the lovely show, Malcolm! A question: is the Flamingo Gardens tea thought to be Souv. de Pierre Notting? Noticing the similarity with the photos close together.

I was particularly taken by that photo of the nodding bloom of Soncy (love those yellow teas).

o

I am happy to have had a chance to enjoy this garden at an earlier stage. Thanks for showing us how it developed.

Folly

o

Catspa, That's the question -- are they the same rose? We've only recently noticed the similarity in our gardens. Malcolm

o

Malcom,
The garden is wonderful and I can imagine it will be even more beautiful next year! I love the design and the roses too! Can you tell me the approximate date you pruned them back? The roses were definitely at peak bloom and the citrus trees were flowering as well which were very fragrant. I am going to come back soon to see how everything is growing, especially the climbers.
Also the PVC pipes: do they function as stakes to give the roses stability and another purpose like irrigation? I thought I saw soaker hoses in the pics when you were first laying out the garden.
Loved Mrs BR Cant, Lady Hillingdon shrub, Maggie, Leonie Lamesh, Soncy, Devoniensis, Gruss an Teplitz, and International Herald Tribune(which seemed thornless). Souvenir de Pierre Notting was very prolific as well

o

Leighsroses, From pruning to full bloom was just over 7 weeks for most varieties; true musk roses and some early Noisettes are taking closer to 9 weeks. Had we pruned later (e.g., March 1, our normal date), I'd think they would take 5-10 days less, due to the higher average temperature.

The PVC stakes are for support in wind. Plants on 'Fortuniana' roots never develop physical strength, even though it's a tough-as-nails rootstock in all other respects.

o

Thanks for that info, Malcolm. I noticed that many of the noisettes hadn't bloomed yet, so I'll have to come back to see them later!

o

Dr. Manners- Thanks so much for posting the wonderful pictures of the garden. All my life I have been told that roses can't be grown in FL! To which I say, "Ha, look at this!"

Are all of these roses on Fortuniana? Almost all of the Fortuniana-grafted roses in my garden have died, so I am sticking with own-root roses. Maybe it's my fault they died, but it seems like there was an awful lot of graft rejection/separation.

o

Yes, most are on Fortuniana. A few Chinas are not (Napoleon, Old Blush, Louis Philippe, Cramoisi Superieur), but nearly everything else. I've only seen graft separateion with 'Hermosa'.
MM

o

Malcolm- thanks for the wonderful pics. Alot has changed since I visited in 2011 during the citrus conference. I really like the looks of Leonie Lamesch and your seedling from Home Run- great color on that one.

o

Malcolm - Thank you for sharing all the pictures of some really beautiful roses, it was very enjoyable.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here