Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melissa_thefarm

This morning I stepped outside

melissa_thefarm
10 years ago

and found it had snowed during the night.

What can I say? The weather is totally bizzarre. March has crammed two months of spring flowers into one month, and what will be left for display in April I can't say. And the Teas and Chinas are in flower: I have a large, perfect bloom of 'Etoile de Lyon' beside me as I type. Normally the first roses bloom at the end of April. I've never know it to snow this late. Fortunately it was just a couple of inches, and its chief effect will be startling me.
I brought a couple of blooms of 'Safrano' and some fragrant violets to the two seven year olds I teach English to; "What's that?" they asked, pointing to the wet newspaper I'd wrapped the flowers in. "Open it up" I replied, and they did; they pounced on the flowers, like falcons on mice, and each carried off a rose and some violets to a personal spot. They LOVE flowers and willingly learn their names, Italian, English, and scientific. Every seven year old on the planet ought to be taken out in a garden and taught about plants.
Spring has been sweet if far too early, at once delicate and lush. Violets are always a joy this time of year. I've been trying to sort them out, so far without success, but at least I'm looking closely at the many in bloom, studying flower and leaf shapes, scent, rhizomes, branching, hairiness, and so on. There are several species in the province. I dug up one of a new kind I found, possibly Viola mirabilis (and possibly not) and brought it home, and plan on collecting more to grow on our own property. There's a lot to see in an area of woods and pastures if a person just keeps her eyes open. Yesterday I also found pink hepaticas--the usual color is blue.
The rose cuttings I think are going to be a bust again this year--the soil is still too heavy--but the suckers we took from the once-blooming old roses look like they're doing fine. This is excellent, as these are almost all plants of which I have just one specimen. I'm particularly pleased about the three forms of Rosa foetida, which we need more of in the garden, as they do well here, and especially I hope finally to have a decent plant of 'Austrian Copper', one of the brightest roses there is. DH loves the Foetidas.
On a darker note, 'Alba Maxima' has rust for the second spring in a row. Unheard of weather, unheard of disease.
Melissa

Comments (5)

• nikthegreek
    10 years ago

Yup, same thing over here. Yesterday it was summerlike not springlike. People headed for the beaches... Northwestern Greece is expected to be affected by the very same front with snow expected on the high ground. Fortunately we over here will not be having this, we will be having southerly showers instead. Which are welcome for the water but not for the disease this weather brings.
    Nik

• mendocino_rose
    10 years ago

Good grief. I guess we just have to accept what is brought to us by the weather. Oddly if it is going to snow here it often snows in March. I think we've dodged that this year. My white Banksia is going to bloom again. Last year was the first decent bloom for it in ten years. This is what the dryer winter has brought me along with a reduction in Downy Mildew.

• ms. violet grey
    10 years ago

It is so neat that you give English lessons.
    I'd probably do the same if I was an ex-pat living abroad.

I have 1 Italian rose, a band of Clementina Carbonieri. I cannot wait to see the blooms. It was named after a beautiful woman.

• mariannese
    10 years ago

We had snow on Thursday but not a trace of it today. I'd promised cuttings for somebody's demonstration of budding techniques at a garden show during the weekend but I just couldn't get to the roses and had to excuse myself.

The weather was lovely today. I got more done in the garden than I've ever done so early in the season because the soil was so soft and easy to dig. I made a kind of wild garden or tame meadow behind three lanky rugosas. I moved plants that are more or less weeds in the borders but good in a wilder setting, ox-eye daisies, oxlips, mallows, blue aquilegias, digitalis and forget-me-nots. Will move some campanulas there tomorrow, must strike while the ground is still soft in my normally stiff potter's clay.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

It's cooler here now than it was during our so-called winter when the temperature was in the high 70's and 80's. The weather seems to be topsy-turvy in so many places. My only somewhat forlorn hope is that we'll have more rain before the summer heat sets in. The roses would absolutely love it.

Ingrid