Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nikthegreek_gw

The race to be the first of the youngsters to bloom

nikthegreek
10 years ago

I planted quite a few new bare roots last fall and some of them are already ready to bloom, sooner than my older roses which I pruned in January.

At the moment it's a race between Darcey Bussel and Fortune's Double Yellow with Boscobel coming a distant third. Both the english lady and the oriental gentleman are already showing some colour. Darcey is the favorite but Double might surprise us though the race may be fixed since Darcey is in a sunnier spot! Will post a pic of whichever opens first. Currenty accepting bets.
Nik

This post was edited by nikthegreek on Thu, Mar 13, 14 at 3:18

Comments (11)

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Lol, Nik, I love your enthusiasm and I so relate. I have race offs every year for the first to bloom too, lol! Pics when they open, please!

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    10 years ago

About half of the bare roots I planted in December and January have produced at least one bloom. George Burns, Bolero, Lavaglut, and one that escapes me. All the others are in bud and will bloom soon. Very exciting!

The bands I ordered last fall have almost all produced a bloom or two and doubled if not tripled in size. Boule de Neige is the only one to not even produce a bud yet, but I've read it's quite a slow starter. The Mystery Rose from Rogue Valley is also in bud. It appears to be a fairly strong yellow with red blushing on the outside of the petals. Probably a Hybrid tea judging by the bud shape and the foliage on the plant so far. I'm hopeful I'll be able to identify it someday.

Jay

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

I can't make a guess on which of yours will be first, Nik, but I can say that of my new bands the one I planted the latest bloomed first. That would be Wild Edric, but unfortunately a cursed rodent saw fit to make away with the flower overnight, and I had already pinched off all the other buds. Arghhh!

Ingrid

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

So far 'Ascot' has shot up to nearly 5' tall but still not a single bud. If it is all blind shoots I will be seriously annoyed.

Darcey Bussell was one of the best-blooming first year Austins ever in this garden. A very nice rose.

• nikthegreek
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well the race was won today by Darcey...

• nikthegreek
    Original Author
    10 years ago

But only for a few hours. Since Darcey is in a sunnier spot, it was a handicap bet, so I consider this a tie.
    Nik

This post was edited by nikthegreek on Sat, Mar 15, 14 at 15:12

• Kippy
    10 years ago

I love Darcey Bussell. Mine was trying to grow taller than I wanted so I had to prune a few tall canes, but not to worry, it was already setting buds on the lower older growth and I think only missed a week or two with out an open bloom this past year. This will be its 3rd year summer in the garden and it is already trying to out do the past.

But since I only pruned a few roses worrying about encouraging growth in a drought, I have some that have been blooming for weeks, Britannia, Mr. Lincoln, Gruss An Aachen, Janet, Young Lycidas, Crocus Rose, Grandmothers Hat, Icebergs, Don Juan and Simplicity have been blooming. Elle is the first of the prunned roses with Neptune just starting. Even Ebb Tide has sprays of deep purple coming on. I expect the first flush or two to be good but late summer til after it rains again to be less.

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Congrats, Nik! Darcey's a beauty!

• nikthegreek
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I was expecting Boscobel to be the third but the small Groire de Dijon beat him to this. I'm so thrilled to see her blooming. You must excuse my excitement here since it is not only that these roses are new to me, it is also that in contrast to lots of you I don't have the opportunity to see most of the roses I plant in person, so to speak, before they bloom in my garden.

I've read all the horror stories about GdD from you guys in the States, I hope she does OK for me.
    Nik

• organic_tosca
    10 years ago

Oh, Nik, those are all lovely!

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

Your Gloire de Dijon bloom is beautiful, Nik. I hope she scoffs at the naysayers and does well for you. You never really know about a rose until you try it in your garden.

Ingrid