Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kristimama

Can Grandmother's Hat be pegged or trellised?

kristimama
12 years ago

Hi everyone,

So I've gone from wanting to put GHat in a narrow little confined space next to my house to *now* basically giving it a large corner spot of the yard flanked on two sides by the wire deer fencing so that it can spread out and get as big as it wants to.

My question is this: the deer fencing will act, to some degree, like a built in trellis. Jeri writes that you can treat GHat like a small climber, but I don't truly understand the different rose-growing terminology. What I'm proposing I guess is a little more like fanning the branches out horizontally and attaching them to the deer fench.

Does GHat respond to pegging or trellising by putting out lateral shoots on the canes? Are the canes even bendy enough to try this?

If I don't prune GHat and just let it grow up, will the canes eventually sort of arch over? (I'm envisioning a plant that is narrower at the ground and vase-like, wider at the top.)

It's hard to tell from the few bush pictures I've seen.

I wish I could see the live plant in person somewhere in the bay area... I wonder if Annie's Annuals actually has one in the ground?

Thanks,

Kmama

Comments (2)