Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sara_ann_gw

Height of SDLM?

sara_ann-z6bok
10 years ago

I have ordered a couple of Souvenir de la Malmaison roses to plant this season. When I ordered them I had in mind that they would be compact. The HMF height range is from 2 to 6 feet, that's quite a difference. I am in zone 6b/7a and was wondering how tall they are likely to get in this zone, if any of you have any experience with this or an opinion. I would have ordered this rose either way, I think it is lovely. I think they will be on multiflora rootstock, if that would make any difference, I ordered them from Pickering.

Comments (9)

• User
    10 years ago

In your zone it is unlikely they will exceed three feet at most, probably closer to 2.

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    10 years ago

In my zone 6 garden SdlM gets quite tall. At first glance she looks like a compact bush of about 2-3' in the photo below. Closer inspection reveals canes which are much taller. She's a great rose here. Note the bloom count. Rebloom throughout the season. Her only downfall come with periods of rainy weather.

{{gwi:235450}}

{{gwi:235451}}

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you trospero and harryshoe. Harryshoe, gorgeous pictures!

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    10 years ago

SDLM is my favorite. I have 12 in groups of 3. The well established ones are over 5 feet, and I often prune them rather hard in the spring because of winters like we just had. They make a good display in threes, by the way.

Sammy in Tulsa

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Sammy - That gives me an idea of what to expect. I'm guessing that is one beautiful sight with all those blooms, hope you post some pictures.

• User
    10 years ago

Interesting thread- SDLM is an extremely weak BS-y plant in my garden. It gets huge, heavy, mostly white flowers, which do not resemble Harryshoe's picture at all. There's hardly any pink in the flower at all.The plant is so weak that I don't dare take it out of a pot- have lost 2 previously.

Maybe I have a stranger or a sport? Could be just the climate?

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    10 years ago

Avalon,
    My guess is that SdlM gets a lot more sun and heat in your zone 10 garden. I know that the blooms here are nearly white at times.

I expected a weak plant at the time of purchase. Following advice, I kept her in a pot for her protection. She outgrew the pot in one season. In the ground, she grew even faster. SdlM is vigorous and hardy here, but apparently not everywhere.

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    10 years ago

We can compare these differences with many roses. Those in California often praise the beauty of Iceberg. Iceberg did not like it here at all. I also have had many problems with David Austin roses, and so many others.

Sammy

• floridarosez9 Morgan
    10 years ago

Avalon, I have SDLM in central Florida, one own-root and one on Fort., and it's totally healthy. The blooms open pink but do fade after several days to almost white. It's a very heavy bloomer. It will be interesting to see how the own- root does versus the one on Fort. I think my blooms may be a little paler than Harry's, but not much.

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!