Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ruth_pa5

rose rosette on native roses

Ruth_pa5
12 years ago

I understand that natives are supposed to be resistant (immune?) to rose rosette. I have a friend who had a large colony of R. palustris growing with R. multiflora in a marshy area. The multiflora has about died out from rose rosette before she learned to recognize it. Much of the R. palustris has also died off. Compounding factors are active voles and careful use of an organic herbicide just upstream.

Ann? Anyone? Have you seen rosette on R. palustris or other natives? My friend would like to re-establish the R. palustris,but not if it's likely to become infected. Thanks.

Comments (4)

• anntn6b
    12 years ago

The so-called native immunity mostly comes from balderdash spewed by the Iowa State professors who wanted RRD to be a native disease of roses and they really wanted true native roses to be immune and for R. multiflora to be susceptible. They never collected nor did they test native species for susceptibility; they just declared it so.

It was only when I started accumulating lists of infections and rose names and places that their 'science' got looked at a bit more closely.

In my part of the world there aren't many native roses. I thank you for the report on palustris; I think as RRD moves into New England, in the next ten years we'll know a lot more about susceptibility and how prone some of the North American roses are to RRD.

• Vicissitudezz
    10 years ago

Here is an article that may interest you. It is not at all clear if this virus- and the mite that spreads it- are of native origin, or if native roses have less susceptibility to it.

Multiflora roses do seem to be a vector of the disease's spread across the country, so there's one more good reason to do what we can to eradicate this invasive pest in our neighborhoods- hopefully before it infects our garden and native roses...

Here is a link that might be useful: UFL article on RRD mite, Phyllocoptes fructiphilus Keifer

• jerijen
    10 years ago

I have heard that a few isolated cases of RRD on wild roses have been noted in CA.

• henry_kuska
    10 years ago

"In field trials conducted by MDA, âÂÂFlower Carpetâ varieties have proven to be very susceptible, Meidland cultivars, including âÂÂAlbaâ are moderately susceptible and the native species of roses; Rosa setigera, R. virginiana, and R. palustris and the naturalized R. rugosa seem to be very resistant to possibly immune to the disease. There are reports from the landscape and nursery trade in Maryland that other rose cultivars and species affected include, in no particular order: âÂÂKnockoutâ , âÂÂTamoraâÂÂ, âÂÂZephrine Drouhinâ , âÂÂColletteâÂÂ, âÂÂSnowbushâÂÂ, âÂÂKew RamblerâÂÂ, âÂÂNew DawnâÂÂ, âÂÂDaybreakâÂÂ, âÂÂCarmenetta âÂÂ, âÂÂClymenestraâÂÂ, âÂÂAlexander GiraultâÂÂ, âÂÂAmericaâÂÂ, âÂÂWilliam R. SmithâÂÂ, âÂÂZitkalaâÂÂ, âÂÂAmerican PillarâÂÂ, âÂÂSnow DwarfâÂÂ, âÂÂEdmund ProustâÂÂ, âÂÂEasleaâÂÂs Golden RamblerâÂÂ, âÂÂMrs. F.W. FlightâÂÂ, âÂÂEdith BallendenâÂÂ, âÂÂWalsh RamblerâÂÂ, âÂÂMadam Alfred CarriereâÂÂ, and Rosa wichuriana hybrids."

Here is a link that might be useful: link for above quote