Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
armyyife

Celine Forestier or Crepuscule

armyyife
15 years ago

I would like to know more about these two roses. I plan on fanning it out on a fence. I would also like something with a good strong scent. I know a lot of people on here really love Crepuscule but I'm hoping those who grow CF would describe theirs for me. I thought too that CF would look awsome with Cornelia. I think I would love either which is why I need your help to decide! Thanks~Meghan

Comments (10)

• redbirds
    15 years ago

I have a Celine that is three years old now and I just love her. Her growth so far has been very mannerly, I've never pruned anything on her except a dead cane here and there. Her blooms just look so happy to me. They have a really unique form and blend of pink, cream, and yellow shades to them. I've also been wanting Crepuscule, I too have heard all the raves about it.

{{gwi:235906}}

{{gwi:235907}}

• peplill
    15 years ago

Hi,
    I grow both. My climate would be as hot as yours but I would have less humidity, but still enough that black spot is a common problem in my garden. I do not spray.
    I think these roses are rather different. I grow both on tripods.
    Crep is healthy, repeat is good, flowers will crisp on really hot days in my garden. Fragrance is not a standout feature. I have 5 plants in different locations, all perform about the same. Growth is bushy, dense, very attractive.
    Celine gets some blackspot, but it does not defoliate. It is almost never without a flower. Fragrance is wonderful and will hang in the air. Flowers do not crisp on really hot days. I have found this rose is a heavy feeder and the performance improved greatly with regular feedings. Growth is a little more climber like, but new canes quickly form many short laterals. It would do well on a fence I think.
    photo taken yesterday
    {{gwi:235908}}

• armyyife
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow great photos! The scent is important to me on this one and have read about Celine having a strong spicy scent. When you say Celine is a heavy feeder what do you feed her with and how often? Compost twice a year would not be enough for her then you think?

Thanks for the descriptions, keep um coming if you can. It always helps. ~Meghan

• lemecdutex
    15 years ago

Redbirds, I love those old wire fences. I always associate them with wonderful gardens i saw as a kid (and as an adult).

I grew Celine & Crepuscule in Fresno. Celine was trained on a fence, and after about 3 years was pretty spectacular, and perfect for a fence, not too think, not too thick, not a crazy grower. Crepuscule just kind of sprawled everywhere, and always managed to snag me when I went anywhere near it. It also just never bloomed that great, especially compared to Celine, who also has far superior flowers.

--Ron

• oldblush
    15 years ago

Meghan, I have both and love them. Celine is espaliered in an east facing wall and about 4-5 years old. Crepuscule is kinda free standing with some support from a fan type trellis but much younger. Both are very vigorous with Celine being more thorny than Crepuscule.
    I'm not much help with fragrance and cannot detect any from either rose. I've had other people say that Celine has a tea fragrance which I've never been able to smell.
    I think Crepuscule blooms more but the Celine blooms are fuller, larger and prettier.
    Hope this helps.

• redbirds
    15 years ago

I'm glad to have the tip about heavy feeding, I'll try to give Celine some more to eat.

Ron, thanks for the comment on the fence. We live in an area with some old houses that have it and I just HAD to use it around our old house. We drove to Houston to pick it up since we couldn't find it anywhere!

• oldblush
    15 years ago

BTW, my Celine doesn't seem to require heavy feeding, maybe it's the area/zone and it's very vigorous.

• nastarana
    15 years ago

I second the comment about Celine needing TLC. When she is happy--well watered and fertilized--she rewards attention by covering herself with those scrumptious blooms. I don't detect any scent from mine.

• armyyife
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well I'm leaning more towards Celine. I'm a sucker for big luscious blooms! lol Thanks

• patricianat
    15 years ago

Crepuscule. At one time I had 3 of each. Now I have 1 of CF and 3 of Crepuscule. Crepsucule one-hundred fold over, far and away.