Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zaphod42_gw

Rare Rambling Roses from Anne Belovich's Collection at Vintage

zaphod42
10 years ago

Received the email last night about availability. Interested in a rambler, but not sure how to process. Almost all are listed at default hardiness of 6b and they are not something you'd permanently put in a pot ghetto. I don't want to order something that won't be hardy for me here. Should I look to parentage? If so, what is my safest bet? Thanks!

What is everyone else interested in?

Comments (20)

• mendocino_rose
    10 years ago

I am growing these roses in zone 8 so I don't know about hardiness for you. Some of these are Geschwend roses bred for hardiness. There are some others I think from Eastern Europe. Look on HMF to see the breeders. I'm sure any of the Wichuranas(now called Lucae) would be too tender for you.

• Kippy
    10 years ago

I wish some one would list some suggestions as favorites.....but of course that would mean we would all be trying to order the same ones first :)

• rosefolly
    10 years ago

I'm tempted, and I see a couple that appeal to me. However having just removed 25% of my roses, it seems very wrong to give in. If water were not so short in supply, I think I'd get two or three.

Folly

This post was edited by rosefolly on Sat, Mar 22, 14 at 11:20

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    10 years ago

For once, I am not champing at the bit to order. I don't know much about ramblers. I plan to get Alchymist, have Vielchenblau and Pink Pillar, and just planted Mel's Heritage - it supposedly blooms more than once. Don't really want any huge roses so think I am going to pass on this bunch. I did get Apricot Glow from a previous Vintage order and think this is a rambler. I got most of what I asked for on the previous Vintage release so will be satisfied with that, until the final release. Hope everyone gets what they want!

Judith

• mendocino_rose
    10 years ago

People can't list favorites of the Anne Belovich roses. They are so rare that almost all of them grown privately in the US are in Anne's garden and my own. I'm not much for picking favorites in roses. I can say that all of these roses have grown swiftly from the cuttings we took 2 years ago. There are photos of many of them on HMF. I guess I could mention as standouts Clematis with its tiny bright flowers and Pleine de Grace for its elegance, but they are all beautiful and strong growing.

• malcolm_manners
    10 years ago

Other places to see them are in the new Anne Belovich garden in Chambersville Texas, and the Farmer's Branch garden. We've been propagating Anne's roses for distribution to public gardens, and those two have most of them (although still very young plants). We'll be getting a large collection of them to the NYBG Peggy Rockefeller garden next! Unfortunately, they don't flower (at all) in Florida. So we're growing and propagating big green plants...

• zaphod42
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I was tempted, but decided to pass. It was an expensive shot in the dark for the ones I was looking at and I would have felt bad if I took something from someone in a warmer zone and mine ended up not being hardy enough. I also am placing and order with Digging Dog so its been an expensive enough weekend for the garden.

Hope everyone got what they were trying for. Would love to hear what everyone purchased!

• ratdogheads z5b NH
    10 years ago

My plan was to get Bonnie Bell and Summer Joy. I've become intrigued with the Walsh ramblers and hope to collect a few. I already grow America and a rambler from my Grandma's garden that I believe to be Excelsa. I did order Bonnie Bell but at the last minute I did a complete about face and chose South Orange Perfection instead. I just love bi-color roses. I sure hope it will be ok with our winters.

• zjw727
    10 years ago

Madame Alice Garnier!

• Kippy
    10 years ago

How exciting ZJW! And now I know who got my first choice.

I should not have spent the money, but I decided I could get one.... I got my second pick, hopefully it will be happy here, if not I will donate it to some one where it likes it better. But it was listed as smaller and had some Tea/China in the background so here is to hoping. Besides, it has two of the neighbors names in it

Emile Fortepaule

• rosefolly
    10 years ago

I just wandered over to Vintage to see how things were going. I had been looking at 'La Perle', and told myself that if it was still there I would find a place for it somewhere. Guess what? Only three roses left of the entire collection! It has not yet been four hours since the collection went on sale.

Rosefolly

• User
    10 years ago

Couldn't help noticing Lykkefund was on the list - lovely, lovely rose. I also have Madame Alice Garnier (it was given to me in the autumn) and several years ago, I bought Pleine de Grace, but misread the size (6feet, instead of 6m). I bottled it and planted it in my local graveyard, taking hardwood cuttings last year for the woods - a fantastic, but gigantic rose.
    Nordlandrose is another great rambler, as is Ethel. One I don't have but know very well is Laxton's Monthly Rambler - a fluffy wild looking rose of great charm.
    Hope you all got your wishes.

• mendocino_rose
    10 years ago

Madame Alice Garnier is very pretty, .Lykkefund I remember from Motissfont. What struck me is i thought it was yellow but it was just the huge profusion of flowers with yellow stamens.
    Only three roses left? Here I was thinking that they were moving slowly. I'm so glad that these are out in the world.

• rosefolly
    10 years ago

Mendocino Rose, that is what I had rather expected myself, but here is the link to the website. I admit that I was a bit surprised. I did not think people would value ramblers as highly as they apparently did.

Folly

Here is a link that might be useful: Anne Belovich ramblers

• mendocino_rose
    10 years ago

Thanks Paula. I'm really pleased to see that.

• CapeRoses
    10 years ago

Over the last few years I have been able to provide Anne with several of the Walsh roses that were not in commerce or that were not in public gardens. We were also able to compare Walsh roses in commerce and in public gardens with those found on Cape Cod, MA to help identify imposters. Dan Russo provided most of the identification of the found roses.

'Bonnie Belle' was a found rose in Woods Hole, MA. 'Summer Joy' was available from VG and the plant at the Woods Hole Historical Museum collection was found to be a match.

Here is a link that might be useful: Walsh roses

• ratdogheads z5b NH
    10 years ago

CapeRoses, here is a long shot - would you happen to know of a resource for Walsh's Jubilee? VG once had a specimen but apparently they lost it. I would also like to find Lady Blanche some day.

Is Bonnie Bell much like America?

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

I believe Northland Rosarium has some roses from her garden. You might check and Carol will say how they've done in her zone 5 garden :)

• CapeRoses
    10 years ago

"CapeRoses, here is a long shot - would you happen to know of a resource for Walsh's Jubilee? VG once had a specimen but apparently they lost it."

Yes, I had a clone of the VG 'Jubilee' but I lost it. I saw it at the Brooklyn Bot. Garden years ago.

"I would also like to find Lady Blanche some day."

I believe that I sent a clone to Burling Leong. She propogated the Walsh roses for Anne and usually kept a specimen for herself. She has several of the rare Walsh roses. If she doesn't have it, you can contact me: centifolia at comcast dot net.

"Is Bonnie Bell much like America?"

The rose in commerce sold as 'America' is different from all of the other Walsh roses in that it is primarily derived from Multiflora rather than Wichurana. That doesn't mean it's wrong, only different. 'Bonnie Belle' has larger flowers and are a darker pink.

Here is a link that might be useful: Burlington Rose Nursery

• ratdogheads z5b NH
    10 years ago

Thanks for the lead on Burlington. When considering what to buy from this sale, I decided against Summer Joy because I looked it up on HMF and saw that it was available from Burlington. I haven't done business with Burlington, and will definitely check out their inventory. NEXT Year! I have no idea where I am going to plant the two that I just bought.

I got America last year from Vintage, and it's interesting what you say about the Multiflora heritage. I planted it next to my Grandma's rose (Excelsa?), but I don't like the contrast of the leaf shape. So I am going to move America.

Bonnie Bell's flowers looked similar to America so I thought they might look good on either side of an arbor, but I think the leaf difference would bug me.