Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zaphod42_gw

Mme Isaac Pereire or Mme de Sancy-Parab�re

zaphod42
13 years ago

List just came out for the local Master Gardener Assoc herb and plant sale for May. Mme Isaac Pereire or Mme de Sancy-Parabere were a couple roses on the list that caught my eye. Both are available from online sellers, but I thought since these plants are locally produced its a bonus. Recommendations? I've got plenty of room for rambler-climbers along my backyard picket fence. Are they 'must-haves' at all? From what I understand, this event requires showing up early, waiting in line, and then the willingness to throw a couple elbows in pursuit of a desired plant. Little old ladies magically morph into professional linebackers. :)

Comments (14)

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    13 years ago

How far away is it? I've never been involved in the early morning, elbow (and reportedly fist) throwing parts of plant sales. I just show up peacefully sometime around noon and see what's left. Often the more interesting things to me haven't been touched. It really depends. Since I don't consider either of those roses must haves, I'd just wait and see.

• lottirose
    13 years ago

I consider Mme Isaac a must have - in fact I currently must have three. That being said she is not a particularly pretty "bush" and probably would do best pegged if you have the room. The reason I cannot live without her is the scent, color and form of the blooms represents my idea of the perfect rose. Well, one of them at least.

• Krista_5NY
    13 years ago

Mme Isaac Pereire is a winner for me, vigorous and a great bloomer. The color of the blooms, and the fragrance, are fantastic.

I grow it as a free standing shrub. It forms a large, somewhat sprawling shrub. It doesn't grow large enough to form a climber, in my garden setting.

{{gwi:211189}}

{{gwi:236429}}

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    13 years ago

Krista, gorgeous pictures! That is one sumptuous rose. I have heard that she can mildew badly and is rather shapeless, but then again, those blooms. I've never smelled one but have read a hundred times show wonderful the fragrance is. Mme. Sancy de P. is I believe a once-bloomer and if I remember correctly also thornless and is often praised in the literature, but I suppose it depends on how one feels about the lack of repeat.

Ingrid

• zaphod42
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Those are gorgeous blooms! I do actually have a spot where a pegged rose would fit nicely...though, I don't know if that's an advanced rose-growers technique (I'm solidly in the newbie category). I also like that she's an OGR with repeat.

• rosefolly
    13 years ago

Mme Isaac is gorgeous, one of the most fragrant of all roses. Depending on your conditions, you may need to spray. I've never grown Mme de SP

• zaphod42
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mme. Sancy de P doesn't seem as wisely used as Mme. Isaac. Is there a fatal flaw? I'm not against once-bloomers.

• User
    13 years ago

'Mme. Isaac Pereire' could easily have been called 'Konigen von Blackspot' in my experience. If fungal disease is a serious issue in your garden, don't even think of growing this without chemicals to subdue disease.

• annabeth
    13 years ago

I have a question about Madame Isaac that I've been wanting to ask for a while. I have a bush that has been planted in the ground for a little over two years now and I keep waiting for the fantastic scent to appear. It does have scent but just not the incredibly strong scent it is supposed to have from others' descriptions. Right now I'd say that Mme Louise Odier has it beat for fragrance in my yard. Does the scent come with more maturity? My bush is about 3 1/2' to 4' tall and I noticed that it seemed a little chlorotic last spring during its initial flush. Would this affect the fragrance?

Annabeth

• cziga
    13 years ago

I lusted after Mme Isaac for years, and finally ordered and planted it last Spring. I didn't expect anything ... but she grew about 4 ft tall (although skinny, just 1-2 canes) and I got about 4 blooms. The colour and fragrance were beautiful, and I can only expect it to get better with time. Hoping she comes through our Canadian winters alright. Can't comment on the blackspot yet ... but based on fragrance, I'd consider her a must-have already. I have her growing over the gate to the garden on one side, and when those blooms were open, walking under the trellis/through the gate was incredible :)

• taoseeker
    13 years ago

They are both very good roses, but really not comparable. Mme Sancy de Parabere grows fast and huge, and can be made to cover a fence or a stone wall in a few years time. It's a once bloomer, no thorns and slight fragrance, and flowers pretty early in the season, weeks before Mme Isaac Pereire. I have both Mme Sancy de Parabere and Ayshire Splendens, and at least one of them is a must rambler in my opinion. These two are in may ways similar. However, there are a lot of options. I am really happy everytime I see the stone wall of my garden covered with the green leaves of these two roses. Leaves look fresh and clean after bloom too, and even set a few orange hips by fall. If you shall have a chance at keeping Mme Isaac Pereire blackspot free, it is either reguar spraying, or an all organic garden with tender loving care.

Regards

• annabeth
    13 years ago

Thanks Rosefolly. I don't seem to have any problem detecting scent in other roses but I'll keep sniffing MIP to see if she ever works for me. It would be sad if she didn't though, wouldn't it?

I feel the same about Paperwhites myself-unendurable is the right word. But I do love their look and I like them outside too.

My Wife of Bath rose was one I never detected a scent on until its third year. I use to tell my rose friend that it was a great rose but with no fragrance. But then I started smelling the myrrh scent in it. Now I have to retract my comments to my friend on Wife of Bath. So, I thought maybe that MIP might follow the same pattern and haven't complained about it to anyone (except now). Thanks for the response.

Annabeth

• zaphod42
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for all the input everyone. I think I'll wander over to the sale and chat with the people running the booth regarding Mme. Isaac and her fungal issues and how prevalent they are in our area. I could find a place for either rose in my garden and may pick them up if the stars align.