Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pootpoot1_gw

suggest me a white rose

pootpoot1
10 years ago

I have pink, apricot, pink, red, more pink, and purple-y colors. But no white. I'm having a hard time finding a white that meets my criteria. My must haves are:
1.) Fragrance
2.) Repeat blooms
3.) Disease resistance

Comments (15)

• professorroush
    10 years ago

If you don't mind a little blush white and want an Old Garden Rose, than I'd suggest 'Coquette des Blanches', linked below. For a more modern rose and more white, maybe 'Paloma Blanca'? 'Marie Bugnet' is a nice, well-behaved Rugosa, but I don't know how she'd do in your climate.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Musings blog on Coquette des Blanches

• boncrow66
    10 years ago

I have had good luck with Sugar moon. You can find it in Chamblees website. It is pure white and very fragrant and it has been very healthy.

• orcasgramma
    10 years ago

Ducher is almost constantly in bloom in Houston, TX - both at my home at at the homes of friends. Blooms are smaller in the heat of the summer. I think it is a wonderful rose.

• monarda_gw
    10 years ago

A white polyantha rose I like is Katherina Zeimet. In your climate you could also look at beautiful teas and noisette climbers: Puerto Rico and Aimée Vibert, for example. There is so much to choose from.

I am attaching a link to previous thread on the topic from last year.

Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: white thread

• pootpoot1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for the suggestions. The form on aimee vibert & coquette des blanches look nice. Since ducher is earthkind that's a plus as well. Thank you all

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

'Bolero', 'Snowbird'.

• jaspermplants
    10 years ago

Ducher is a great rose; I highly recommend it. I just planted Bolero this winter and is great so far; love it!

Did anyone mention Iceberg? It's everywhere in So. Calif but for good reason; it's one of the great roses of all time.

• Deeby
    10 years ago

Iceberg is my favorite. Even the malls have her planted here. There are several planted along one Jack in the Box drive thru !

• portlandmysteryrose
    10 years ago

Small: Marie Pavie
    Medium-large: Devoniensis.
    Very large/climber: Madame Alfred Carriere

Just to complicate matters and enable you, I thought I'd chime in, too. All the ones mentioned in earlier replies are great, too. Carol

• melissa_thefarm
    10 years ago

My usual recommendation: 'Madame Jules Bouché', an old, Tea-rose-leaning HT. An extremely easy, vigorous grower, fragrant, lovely blooms. She does get a bit of mildew but isn't bothered by it. Truly a fabulous rose, grown, I am told, as a passalong plant the length and breadth of Italy. I got my first cuttings from a neighbor and see it here and there locally. It grows easily and vigorously from cuttings, is a frugal, tough, floriferous rose, but if it gets tolerable good culture will yield opulent blooms. It should be pruned lightly, like a Tea.
    These other recommendations are good too.
    Melissa

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

'Kaiserin Auguste Viktoria' is another, if you can find it. Nice fragrance, pretty flower. Also a climbing version available.

• jerijen
    10 years ago

WHERE in SoCal you are located -- matters.

Jeri

• pootpoot1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Iceberg is, everywhere. It really is. I see it bloom all the time. The fragrance part, that's a downer.

Thank you everyone. These are some really great suggestions. Now the trial and error.

Jeri I'm located in the inland empire. It gets 100+ here in the summer, which is another problem if I don't want fried roses.

• portlandmysteryrose
    10 years ago

I THINK the ones I listed will thrive in your climate. I've never lived in your area, but the three roses I mentioned grow well in the furnace of North TX summers. Carol

• armyyife
    10 years ago

My absolute favorite is Lamarque. Very clean, excellent rebloom, lovely lemony fragrance. It is a climber though not sure if that's what you want. I have it growing on a picket fence. Dutcher would be my second for a white rose as a shrub. .