Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
odyssey3

Suggest some pink continuous blooming giants

odyssey3
16 years ago

I need to cover a large area in the back yard and would like some really big pink bloomers (can't be too big!) that are constantly in bloom. Any suggestions?

Comments (18)

• ronda_in_carolina
    16 years ago

Define "cant be too big". You are in South Carolina so you can grow some amazing old roses but some get pretty big.

• odyssey3
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, I can't imagine anything too big for the wide open space I plan to plant these roses in--20 to 30 feet maybe? I want a dividing line on my 2 1/2 acres.

• melissa_thefarm
    16 years ago

'Bon Silène'? BIG Tea. Ditto 'Mrs. B.R. Cant', 'Archduc Joseph'. 'Maman Cochet' and sports (more Teas)? The China 'Single Pink', which I don't know personally. I don't know whether there are suitable candidates among the Hybrid Musks, some of the David Austin roses; others?

Melissa

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    16 years ago

Le Vesuve, Duchesse de Brabant, Monsieur Tiller...

• odyssey3
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hmm...How do you think Mrs. BR Cant an Duchesse de Brabant would look together? Harmonious colors? How big will they get in SC?

Also, I am considering one of the New Dawn sports or descendants--Blossomtime, Morning Dawn, Pink Cloud, and Rosy Mantle. Can anyone comment on these? Pros/Cons of New Dawn family vs. Teas?

• sunnysideuphill
    16 years ago

Do hybrid rugosas do well in your area? Sarah Van Fleet was a giant for me. I saw her used as a high hedge around a building at the Montreal Botanical Garden some years ago, and the top of the bushes were way taller than my 5'8" DH.

• ceterum
    16 years ago

How about Parade for a big pink climber?

Here is a link that might be useful: photos of Parade on HMF

• patricianat
    16 years ago

Madame Lombard and of course a bevy of noisettes for the Carolina gardens.

• melissa_thefarm
    16 years ago

You need to hear from gardeners in your zone. I suggested the Teas because they're definitely shrubs, not climbers, are very large, everblooming, and (the ones I suggested are) pink, and are likely suitable to your zone. Could be New Dawn's bevy of beauties would work--I don't know much about them, though I have 'Aloha' and my little experience with it is good. Tea-New Dawn family pros and cons: Teas are rugged; ND family I don't know, though New Dawn herself is a survivor. The Noisettes, Patricia's suggestion, offer a lot of pale yellows, whites, and peachy shades, not as many pinks as far as I can remember, and many are climbers, but 'Blush Noisette' is shrubby, pink, fragrant, large, and tough; perhaps Patricia had some other varieties in mind.

Melissa

• jbcarr
    16 years ago

I would stick with the pink teas, or perhaps one of the Buck's such as Carefree Wonder. They will be the healthiest without a spray program. When I lived in Columbia,SC both of these got pretty big- at least 8X8'.

• rosyone
    16 years ago

Are any of the New Dawn clan continuous bloomers? Aloha, Awakening, and New Dawn itself fall well short of that status in my garden. You'd also have to put some though into how to support them - or whether to support them.

Three to five large, judiciously chosen teas evenly spaced along your dividing line would grow together into a fairly low maintenance, generously blooming hedge in a few years. A photo in the thread below will give you some idea of what is possible with them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Please let me know about these ladies

• ronda_in_carolina
    16 years ago

Duchesse de Brabant is compact for me in upstate SC. It is one of my most favorite roses but I think it would be eaten by any roses with heft in their genes. Plant this one closer to the house so you can enjoy it.

I have recently started a thread on Mrs BR Cant for my mothers garden as I am trying to do the same thing you are.

I have climbing Pinkie growing as a bush and I love the weeping nature of this rose. It certainly would look great mixed in with other roses because the folliage is small and the branches weep.

{{gwi:237097}}

Climbing Pinkie (fence)...........Knock Out
    Fellenberg

Look into the Noisettes as they are from the Charleston area and do well here.
    Also, Mutabilis is an easy free flowering rose that gets big and beautiful.
    This rose has soft leaves and petals that blow in the wind.

{{gwi:237098}}

I recently planted Clementina Carbonieri and cannot wait for it to bloom. This is supposed to be a big beautiful one.

Ask Jeri to post the pic of Niles Cochet. That one will take your breath away!!

HTH

Ronda

• happyintexas
    16 years ago

Carefree Beauty is a big rose that blooms almost constantly from spring until frost.

I second the Duchess de Brabant suggestion. She is a mannerly and graceful shrub.

A long hedge of Old Blush would be easy care and very striking.

Here is a link that might be useful: Creative Soul

• odyssey3
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you everyone for such thoughtful responses! I'm looking into all of them. Love that cl. Pinkie--like the natural, graceful form and I am definitely a double petal kind of person. I think what I want is an everblooming Rambler. I know there ain't no such thing--but how close can I get? How big does that cl. Pinkie get?

• sunnishine
    16 years ago

Br Cant since you want big. I looked at her and DdB and fell in love with the flowers for BR Cant. duchesse isn't as big.

• ronda_in_carolina
    16 years ago

Mine is 3 years old in the pic I posted. Thats a pretty good size for 3 yrs. I never cut or prune this rose...it just does its thing. Here is a close up of the bloom power (Sorry so contrast-y).

{{gwi:237099}}

• jerijen
    16 years ago

White Maman Cochet:

{{gwi:230232}}

Niles Cochet

{{gwi:220004}}

But I would keep in mind that while Tea Roses can become this big, they won't do it FAST. It's going to take time for them to build up that structure. And of course you're not gonna be doing a lot of pruning.

Jeri

• nearlywild
    16 years ago

My B.R. Cant is larger than the Duchess in my garden.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH