Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roserich

do these gals play well together?

Hello. Thinking of a bed populated with the following:
Crepuscule, Clementine Carbonieri, Comtesse du Cayla, Clair Matin, Marie d'Orleans, Archduke Charles....
perennial friends:
cranesbill, salvia, nepeta etc.
Thoughts?
Susan

Comments (9)

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

I don't know anything about these but it sound lovely and colorful! I just got the Archduke last season as a band so I can't say yet how he'll grow...or if he made it through the winter.

• Campanula UK Z8
    10 years ago

There is a bit of discrepancy on size - Crepuscule can easily stretch to around 3m while CdC stays really daintily small (although I am referring to one not actually in my garden) at no more than 1metre. Claire Matin can get fairly big too (and can be a bit sprawly . Marie d'Orleans is not familiar to me but CC can be a bit arm-flingy. So, colourwise, they are a nice warm match but I think careful placing and maybe discreet support........although probably best for someone in your locale to weigh in with more suggestions.
    What size/shape/aspect is your proposed bed?

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

What color Cranesbill? Actually most of the colors I'm familiar with would fit in fine. Salvia--blue-purple? Great! Nepeta--good choice also. I assume the Cranesbill and Nepeta would be in the front row--probably in clusters? Depending on which Salvia you got (there are many), it might work better behind the Nepepta and Cranesbill. The roses behind the perennials? And the climber behind the other roses?

That's one way of doing it, at least. I'm sure others can think of other ways.

Kate

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

I like your choices very much except perhaps for Comtesse du Cayla which for me always had very flimsy and droopy flowers. Colorwise I think the combination would work quite well, especially with the cool, bluish-purple color of the companion plants, but camp makes a good point about the eventual size of most of these bushes/climbers. I hope it's a very large bed! If you could work in another yellow or apricot, perhaps a rose like Lady Hillingdon, to balance the only other yellow, Crepuscule, that might be something to consider. It could even be a cream color, just something light to give a "lift" to the color scheme.

Ingrid

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone! I love getting input from those further down this road (addiction). To answer questions:
    Bed is 15 by 25. I figure Crepuscule will be the "anchor" at the 15' width end. Bed is a bit oval with views from all sides except Crepuscule who will be in the back near the house. The paint is a shade of green called "rosemary".
    Comtesse du Cayla does well here in our humidity and these roses aren't wimps (unless we have another winter like the last).
    Kate, you nailed the scheme right on the head. I have lots of Salvia Carradona and New Dimension. Also have lots of bluish purple cranesbills...one of my favorites is Genyel.
    Neptune and Orion are HUGE. Like 4 ft high here. Also have some thymes and alchemilla that will go down low in front with 2 Flocon de Neige...Also have Palace Purple Huecherella...
    Had a thought on yellow roses: Have Perle des Jardins and Etoile de Lyon...
    Would a rugosa work here? I have Rugelda--a pink/yellow rugosa that has finally put on some weight...don't know how it will combine.
    I also have a Boule de Neige that needs a home but wanted to see how it does before giving a permanent place. I have new Charlotte, Dairy Maid, Dainty Bess, a big Mrs. Oakley Fisher. Several large Perle d'Or. And plenty of creams to give a lift. I have Spray Cecile Brunner. Oh, and I even thought of throwing Stormy Weather in there (may be horrendously tacky tho).
    I'm going to put a link for Stormy Weather in this post. To me the blooms are very much old dusky purple and almost continuous.
    You know me, I will be jamming it all in and will sort it out later.
    Would love to hear any more thoughts...

Here is a link that might be useful: stormy weather at HMF

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

Stormy weather--WOW! If you need a "punch" somewhere, use it!

I don't know most of the roses you listed (though I love Boule de Niege), but I always think a white or creamy white is good --it provides contrast and can bring out the shades of most colors--or harmonize somewhat clashing colors. I always try to get at least a couple whites (roses or perennials) scattered around my gardens. You have lots of good ones to pick from.

Kate

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Kate. For some reason I feel like anything I do is "permanent" and I don't want to make a "mistake" but that is the antithesis of gardening isn't it? I need to loosen up and just go for it.
    Susan

• Kippy
    9 years ago

I hate to admit it, but I do not like 'Stormy Weather' like I thought I would. Mine does not repeat, at least not so far. It is the bed with a lot of Austins and just looks out of place. So far it has only reached about 4 feet tall and 4 feet wide on the picket fence. If I had a good place to move it to in the main garden I would move it, but it seems to dislike heat and I do not have a cool spot that I want thorns. It will stay for a while longer and see if it just needs more time or if some afternoon shade helps out.

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    9 years ago

I used Crepuscule and Clair Matin on an arbor, and they were good as climbers. Their limbs needed support for me. I bought Crepuscule because everyone here raved about its beauty during that time -- possibly 7 or 8 years ago. It grew for me, but my memory was always of trying to attach it, and I am not sure that I was ever really happy with its blooms. Clair is lovely, but did need spray. When I decided to end working with climbers, I pulled them out with my arbor.

I love the use of salvia and it is so good at returning each year.When it doesn't, I grab some new plants. My problem with salvia is proportion. I have quite a bit of salvia that keeps coming back way under the roses. What I plant with a new rose needs to be way our in front of that rose.

Frankly, I bet your bed will be lovely as long as you are prepared to support the larger roses.

We have similar climates so I always like to know what you are growing. I am going to have to look up some of these perennials to see what I can add.

Sammy

I have 2 Archduke Charles, and one Marie. The Archdukes are on the small size, but very pretty. Marie is rather new, and still quite small.

These colors are fine, but I cannot vision their placement together in a bed since their sizes vary so much.