Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardennatlanta

Not loving Madame Antoine Mari

gardennatlanta
10 years ago

I've really, really tried but I'm just not loving Madame Antoine Mari. I know others list her in the top ten or even "best" rose in their gardens.

I don't think it's location, she's in the sunniest part of the garden and gets the same water, fertilizer and care of all my other roses.

I'm thinking maybe she's a California loving rose or maybe a rose that just doesn't like Atlanta. (related to Gen. William T. Sherman, perhaps?)

The question is, should I take her out now and replace her with something else or give her another "last chance"?

I think I already know, but would like your opinion.

Comments (9)

• idixierose
    10 years ago

Do you just not like the looks of Mme. Mari or is the plant not growing well?

If the plant is not growing well in the ground, try putting it in a large pot. Give it the best soil and lots of TLC (SuperThrive, seaweed, etc.) and see if it responds.

• boncrow66
    10 years ago

What is it you don't love about her? Is she just not doing as well as she should ?

• jacqueline9CA
    10 years ago

In addition to the other questions, could you let us know how long she has been in her current location in your garden? Tea roses can take a long time (4-6 years) to reach maturity and start looking as they are "supposed" to.

Jackie

• Alana8aSC
    10 years ago

Hey Gardenatlanta,

I'm new to the forum and ownroots. I got one last year as a ownroot one gallon. Mine Has done wonderful! Bloomed her head off and loved her flowers! Maybe she doesn't like the location? have you given organics or what kind of feeding have you given? I know all roses don't do the same for everyone, while she is doing great Spice and Souv. de La Malmasion (Sp?) hasn't liked me as much but I'm hoping they will come around. More information would be helpful!

Wishing you luck Alana

• gardennatlanta
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I use Mills Magic Mix once in the spring and then once in the summer. In between, I use a 10-10-10 fertilizer that mixes with water. I bought some Mills Easy Feed to try this year.

I usually put some of my own compost on my roses in the spring as well.

The soil at my house is really nice. It's the Georgia clay but it's really soft and well amended.

The garden area gets sun in the morning from around 8 am to 4 or so in the afternoon.

The garden is well mulched and gets water regularly.

Other teas in the same area are doing very well. Souv. de Francois Gaulain, Duquesa, Angel's Camp Tea were planted later and they look great.

Perle d'Or and Gruss An Aachen were planted at the same time in the same garden and are great.

I really don't think it's my garden culture. Maybe it's this particular clone.

• Alana8aSC
    10 years ago

It might be that clone gardenatlanta..I was wondering the same on the two that wasn't doing well for me, but I'm gonna wait and see if they pick up. Maybe you can try another from somewhere else. :)

• harborrose_pnw
    10 years ago

Jeff, if it were me, I would pitch it and either get another one or plant something else you've been thinking of trying. I think you got a dud or maybe an imposter? Maybe it's not really MAM...?

Gean

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    10 years ago

It is an "earth kind" rose. I would get rid of it, and try again. Roses are not that expensive to purchase. ARE gets them to my house for $20.

I have a couple of Antoione Mari roses, and have ordered another.

At first I thought you were talking about it being healthy, but just not suiting you as being unusual or outstanding. Mine are quite healthy and pretty.

Mine have made it through the winter just fine.

I live in Tulsa, and often we can grow the same roses as in Atlanta.

My roses are all sprouting out, but I cannot tell that much about them because I cut them all way down.

I am much quicker to toss roses than others on the forum, but I do not run a very good rose hospital.

Sammy