Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spring color combo

Posted by jacqueline3 9CA (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 18, 14 at 12:26

These (hybrid gigantica Belle Portugaise and banksia lutea) are two of my earliest blooming roses (the others are Safrano and Mme Joseph Schwartz and Duchesse de Brabant). They both grow on our house right next to each other. Although the bush and flower form couldn't be more different, I love how the colors are both very soft. I think they go together well. Took this pic yesterday - March 17th!

Jackie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spring color combo

Love them both and both are on my list. I'm jealous!
Nik

o

must be the Cali light because pink and yellow, under glowering English skies is a vile combo - certainly doesn't have that bright punch yours have, Jacqueline. I still bitterly regret the placing of Madame Gregoire next to Graham Thomas - at present, it is a lovely show because they both possess that matte pale green fresh foliage....but later, I will be fed up again despite the attempt to mitigate the shock with lots of blue.

o

Those two are absolutely gorgeous and oh, so romantic looking, Jackie. I think pink and yellow are beautiful together, if the colors are on the soft side. Diane

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 18, 14 at 18:48

Beautiful, Jackie! I like when roses grow together like that.

o

• Posted by catspa NoCA Z9 Sunset 14 (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 18, 14 at 18:51

I agree, Jackie, each color is relatively soft and so a pleasing view. I love Belle Portugaise (the leaves alone are elegant) and am still mourning the death a few years ago of the one I used to ogle on Claremont Ave. in Berkeley whenever I went by (where there was also a mature Michaelia doltsopa just across the street; what abundance of riches!) -- sadly, no room for Belle here at this point.

Same thing would happen with color in Massachusetts, Camps, and I couldn't abide pink and yellow together while living there. In the intense sun of non-coastal California, though, the pastel combos that were most pleasing in MA seem to wash out and register as "white" and "more white" by the middle of the day. Flamboyant colors and combos I thought garish in MA look better here, I think. (Love, love those bright oranges with dark purple, red, hot pink, and yellow -- whoo-hoo!)

o

Thank you for the photo, Jackie. I haven't seen a Belle P since I lived in TX. Both Belle P and Lady Banks grew well there, too. I can't say I ever saw them grown together, though. The effect is magical! Maybe some of our TX rose gardeners can take advantage of your stroke of genius. Carol

o

Really beautiful, Jackie. The contrast in size and color makes for a wonderful combination.

o

Beautiful! Mine live near each other too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here