Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
clanross

Which is the best rose glove???

clanross
13 years ago

I now am on 2 medications, got a tetanus shot, and have a very sore right ring finger knuckle. Which is the best rose glove for me? I will pay any reasonable amount. Dainty is not necessary. Thorn protection is. Also, I would rather not feel like I'm wearing oven mitts, but I don't have to be able to play complicated piano pieces with then on either. I have looked at Womenswork brand and Bionic and a couple of others (online). It's stressful to have injured myself at this time of year. Argh... Which is best? Thanks.

Comments (29)

• Krista_5NY
    13 years ago

I really like the WomansWork gloves, their goatskin glove is the best I've found for repelling thorns, and comfort.

I own a number of different kinds of the Womanswork gloves, but I especailly like the goatskin gloves. They repel thorns well, although I don't find them to last many years and replace them often. I like the length of their goatskin glove as it covers more of the wrist. (I use gauntlet gloves for the times when I need maximum coverage.)

I size up on the Womans Work gloves, so the glove is not too snug. This way, if a thorn penetrates, it won't push hard on the skin.

• clanross
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Krista, I understand what you mean about the looser fit gloves. I've wondered if snug-fitting gloves can really be better for thorn protection.??? I guess I'm looking for the magic glove that says, "No thorn penetration", but seems like the goatskin may be the best thing. ??? I've been looking at one called "the protector" in the last few minutes. It runs around $45. I do a lot of fairly heavy gardening/rose care, so if they really work, I don't mind some extra $$.

• kstrong
    13 years ago

Goatskin is best for no thorn penetration. My mother swears by her bionic gloves, and then there's me, who is more concerned with the cost. I get either the gloves from the welding section of the big box store (cheap and no thorns are going through that!) or bee keepers canvas gloves that you get online for less than $10, which go all the way up past your elbox (for dealing with climbers).

• Krista_5NY
    13 years ago

Clanross, I don't think that leather gloves are completely thorn proof... however high quality gloves like the Womanswork seem to do well...
    The goatskin is very good against thorns, and very soft. I have extremely sensitive skin, and thorns would be terrible for me, I've been pleased with the WomansWork products. The longer wrist length on their goatskin is really nice, I appreciate that design feature.
    Yes, I always wear loose fitting gloves when handling roses. I want to have a bit of space between my skin, and the leather.

• rosefolly
    13 years ago

I find that really determined thorns can get through anything. Goatskin is a nice compromise between protection and function. Heavier leather gloves protect a bit better, but are so clumsy I am constantly stripping them off to manipulate tools, canes, knots, the lot. Goatskin is probably better because you'll wear them more. Be warned that they do wear out faster due to that softness, so you'll need to replace them more frequently.

Rosefolly

• belmont8
    13 years ago

I like the West County Rose Glove. Pretty easy to find online if you search for that name. They are made of synthetic materials and can be machine washed. They also have a long "gauntlet" cuff which is really helpful.

• organic_tosca
    13 years ago

I, too, belong to the WomansWork goatskin glove fan club, and second what everyone has to say about them, especially the kindness to the skin and the protection (though not from really EVIL thorns). Also, yes, they don't last super-long, but I keep a couple of the ratty old pairs to use for just dirty jobs, no thorns involved. I had truly terrible eczema on my hands a few years back, so I really need the softness and the protection.

Laura

• cemeteryrose
    13 years ago

I've been very happy with my Floxglove gauntlets. Haven't gotten scratched at all, and find them flexible, good for my short fingers, and wide enough cuffed to go over shirts.
    Anita

Here is a link that might be useful: Foxglove gauntlets

• rosefolly
    13 years ago

I also recommend long-sleeved, heavy cotton twill shirts for pruning time. They do a decent job of protecting your arms from thorns. I wear ones my son threw out years ago, but I'm sure you can find them. And jeans. Shorts are a mistake, as are any kind of soft cotton (or worse, knit) pants.

Rosefolly

• sherryocala
    13 years ago

Check out Bear Wallow Glove Company. I love my gauntlets. They tell you how to measure, and the fit was perfect. Not a bad price either. Not sure if they have short gloves. Maybe.

Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: If only sweat were irrigation...

• clanross
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone for all the good ideas. I dress very practically for gardening--covered head to foot--overalls, long-sleeved denim shirt stolen from husband, big hat, socks (all summer because of fire ants and mosquitoes) and sturdy clogs. I actually call it my gardening "burka" ;). It's not pretty, but I don't want sunburn, freckles, mosquitoes or fire-ants getting any part of me. It's so hot down here in the summer--you're sweltering anyway, one more item of clothing won't make any difference in the heat. ;) I'm leaning toward the women's work or "the protector" gloves. I'll make a decision soon and let you all know how I like them. I think the finger is a little better now thanks to the antibiotic. Thanks again. :)

• kenfl1
    13 years ago

Mine are Jackson and Perkins Gauntlets, a gift from a couple years back, when this rose mania started. In those two years, I have only had one thorn go through. Thats good enough for me lol.

• pattie_2007
    13 years ago

I love my Bionic Rose gloves. They fit well, are comfortable and protect my hands and arms.

• buford
    13 years ago

I just bought a pair of bionic gloves. Not the gauntlet, just the elite gardening gloves. But I did work with roses all last weekend and did not get pricked. The gloves fit sung and I have a slight issue with the seam on the left index finger (it's stiff and is irritating my finger. But I love that they finger tips are reinforced with some rubber like material. All of my gloves wear out in the finger tips from me digging with my hands.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    13 years ago

I have the Bionic gauntlets and love them. I have issues with my hands, and the snug fit keeps my hands from cramping and tiring out. I do get a prickle or two, but nothing horrible (I've even gotten them with all goat skin gloves).

• lagomorphmom
    13 years ago

I've been meaning to get some on and off for awhile, but time is awasting now.

I saw Sherry's post on her gloves and figured if she sounded as excited as I do when I've found something 'perfect' and have to tell everyone I know about my find, that they'd be perfect for me as well! Seriously. Btw, these are the 'protector' ones that you've been looking at. Also btw, I was looking for regular, short leather gloves at HD & Lowe's & Armstrong and NONE of them had ALL leather gloves for small hands. Frankly, the woman's gloves were embarrassing.

Some things to think about that are important to me and that these & the bionic ones seem to be ok for:

I have small hands so I usually can't find welder or heavy cotton gloves my size, BUT when I do, often the seems are quite large and it's easy to get clipper blisters. While goatskin gloves may wear out faster, the thinner material makes for finer seams.

While I would like to get synthetic in the same way that I would like to be a vegetarian (seriously), the problem I have with my 'digging gloves' (usually the cheap cloth knit ones with the latex coating on the fingers & palms) is that even with the knit back of the hand, they don't breath and my hands are uber sweaty and they (pardon me) start to, er, 'offend' in the aroma dept and then so do my hands when I remove them. I don't find this to be a problem with leather gloves.

Thanks for the post reminder, I'm ordering mine this week.

• lagomorphmom
    13 years ago

I'm proud to say that I have managed to stay focused on this project long enough to go to the Bear Wallow Glove Company web page to order, who-hoo. I will be getting the Protectors, and a pair for the DH since he helps with the trimming now and again and I'd like him not to stop offering.

In wandering around their offerings, I thought that I would come back here and recommend folks take a look at their other gardening gloves, even if you don't want gauntlets. Got to thinking about it since it's so hard for me to find short leather gloves locally (and they're made in China). So, I think I will be getting a short pair as well - I think they're reasonably priced considering what HD wanted when I found a pair last year. I'm hoping that they'll also be heavier and last longer according to some of the reviews.

They also have the knit gloves with latex (made by Atlas) that you see in the box stores but I think that I will buy a couple pairs of the nitrile knit gloves. I got a pair in a set of Wells Lamont gloves at CostCo and really liked them (and remembered someone saying the same on a previous thread here but had never seen them). I used them for propagating because they are so thin, and while I did get pricked here and there, they were nice for fine work - better than none at all!!!

Finally, it's getting out of season in our mountains, but not quite. They also have a heavier knit glove for women called Chilly Grips which users rated highly.

G'night all!

Here is a link that might be useful: Bear Wallow Glove Company

• sherryocala
    13 years ago

The deerskin part of the glove was not thin at all. It was pretty thick but very soft. Nothing ever penetrated the glove or the sleeves. The leather sleeves were really thick. They are heavy gloves but comfortable. The leather sleeves made my arms pretty hot, but then this is Florida, and even when it's cool, the sun is hot. The sleeves went way above my elbow. I got impaled once and scratched a few times - way up at the top of my Popeye muscle (whatever that's called). I thought it was pretty funny that I was reaching that far into a rose bush! Love these gloves. I've never tried the Bionic ones.

Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: If only sweat were irrigation...

• gardenerzone4
    13 years ago

I don't mean to interject into this thread, but am very interested in the topic. I'd rather not wear animal skins, and after looking up all the gloves recommended on this thread, I've narrowed down to the West County Rose Glove and the Foxgloves, both of which are made out of synthetic leather. One review on Amazon says that the West County is not thornproof. I'm wondering if the Foxgloves are any better, or if that's all one can expect from synthetic leather.

Also, the welder gloves--what are those and are they truly thornproof? Would they sell those at Lowe's?

• belmont8
    13 years ago

The welder gloves are usually made from animal skin.

I have not had thorn penetration on my West County gloves. I think other people have already said this but I doubt any gloves are truly thornproof 100% of the time.

• ronda_in_carolina
    13 years ago

If you have a small hand, its hard to find welders gloves that fit well. They are also quite stiff. I got a pair for my boyfriend that fit him well. No thorns are going through those babies!!

I am going with the Womens Work gauntlets. I found them at a local retailer through their web page vendor search.

Hope I like them as well as the ones I have had for 2 years. Unable to locate that brand anymore.

Happy Hunting!!

Ronda

• ravenh2001
    13 years ago

Think outside the box. I have a pair of chainsaw gloves that have served for years. they are kevlar to stop a chainsaw chain before it takes your fingers. As a lumberjack they are OSHA required for me. They are supple enough to pick blackberries but still no blood on my hands. Usually not found at big box but at pro chainsaw dealers.

• lori_elf z6b MD
    13 years ago

I have tried a variety of gloves. NONE of them is 100% thorn proof, but I wear different gloves for different levels of protection depending on the task I am doing. I thought the West County glove worked pretty good but not quite as thorn resistant as leather. I also tried various Womenswork glove and the pigskin gloves give the best thorn protection and are the best for heavy-duty pruning (especially with gauntlet for wrist). Goatskin gloves are softer and allow more tactile touch, but are less thorn-resistant. So it depends on what your task is how much level of thorn protection you need versus dexterity.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    13 years ago

I must be the only idiot who has a fair number of roses and never wears gloves. They're too cumbersome, hot, not flexible enough, not thick enough, not thin enough, don't fit my small hands, etc., etc. I think the only thing that saves me is that I don't prune my roses a great deal. Le Vesuve has to be the worst rose to deal with in terms of thorns, but I've pretty well decided not to prune my Le Vesuves because they scare me. The goatskin gloves sound like the best option if I ever do decide to go that route.

• taoseeker
    13 years ago

When I prune my roses in spring I use the heaviest leather type. They are they only ones none of my roses have never managed to cut trough, pretty close to 100%. I often use no gloves at all, but when I need to lift a bunch of thorny off cuts, or handle canes a bit more than lightly I put on these. I actually think they are welding gloves, and they reach half way up to my elbow, nothing like the ones I see for gardeners. I have several types of gloves, but all I really use are these heavy ones, a pair of lighter leather gloves, and no gloves at all. I mostly use bare hands when I plant, and dig holes. I have started using glycerin hand cream when my hands get too dry and sore. I am a man, so I don't feel too guilty when gardening or work shows on my hands. I have to admit that it takes a day or two before all traces of gardening are gone when I don't use gloves, which I agree, really isn't that good. Even though I use soap and water several times, it's stuck there for a while.

• ronda_in_carolina
    13 years ago

Hey a side note for those getting Womens Work gloves. I wear a small in gloves and the small in Womens Work fit my fingers perfectly, but I couldnt make a clenched fist without feeling restricted. The mediums felt just as good in the fingers but were easy to make a fist in. The medium fit like a small so maybe they run a bit small over-all.

HTH

Ronda

• clanross
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hello all. I just ordered rose gloves! I found something very much like "the protector" for $29.99 (including shipping) on Ebay. (easy to find on Ebay--just search "rose gloves".) The lady (Peggy) who received my ordered was extremely helpful with suggestions about fitting the glove. They take returns if it doesn't make me happy. After exchanging 3-4 emails with Peggy and seeing a lot of great feedback, I am hopeful. I'll let everyone know how it goes, since these are significantly cheaper than "the protector" which was my other favorite. I will post photos if I can figure out how to do it. I use picasa, and don't know that I can post directly from there. ??? Thanks for all the help. :)

• clanross
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Got my gloves today--fast shipping!!! They seem very nice. I love the gauntlet which is a thick, but flexible (not cardboard-y) leather. Glove part is thicker-than-usual, but still very soft goatskin and fits my rather large hand (for a woman) pretty well in a size M man's size. I am pleased. Check out this company on Ebay. They have relisted all 3 sizes. Also, these smell nice and are a rich brown color. Haven't put them to work yet, but I have confident expectations. :)

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    13 years ago

A Marshalls ztore in NE Philly had a few pairs of Womenswork gauntlet gloves yesterday. I had the same issue as Ronda, the small fit, but I couldn't make a fist. I bought the medium (can't have too many gloves).

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH