Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alameda_gw

Suggestions for Partial Shade Roses

I have roses all along the front fence in my yard. Most of it is in all day sun and the roses are doing great. However, there are 2 huge oaks trees that block the morning sun on several roses and, though growing, they are puny. The area where about 5 roses are gets a bit of sun as it moves into the west about noon, then they get some west sun before it sinks behind my tall and thickly wooded lot across the road. These roses, Abe Darby, Burgundy Iceberg, Spendora, a mystery rose from Uncommon Roses, Mme. Alfred Carriere, would do better elsewhere, I feel and I need to replant them immediately before it gets too hot.

My questions is - are there any roses that might do well here - teas, musks, polyanthas? - that wont get huge [like Mrs. BR Cant] and block the mowing space between the fence and the oak trees? Or would I do well to skip roses here and plant something else? I have easy access to Antique Rose Emporium and Chamblees. Can do climbers here - would Rev d'Or, Juane Despres, Crepuscule thrive with these conditions? Open to any suggestions! I have had these roses here for several years and am know they can perform better in more sun. Thanks!

Judith

Comments (16)

• Jason_D_B
    13 years ago

Try the cornelia rose.
    {{gwi:237923}}

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Cornelia is beautiful! I do have one that is partially under a tree and gets half a day sun and does well, but it is a rather sprawling rose. In this area, I need something that will not prevent the riding mower from going in between the oaks and the fenceline - can Cornelia be kept trimmed and still do well? The one I have is lovely - I just worry about the size. Thanks! Your photo is beautiful!

• ogrose_tx
    13 years ago

I've not had experience with any of these, but have read that Moonlight, Sally Holmes, Mutabilis, Caldwell Pink, Reve d'Or and spice all do reasonably well in partial shade.

• onederw
    13 years ago

You might also check out Gruss an Aachen.

• ronda_in_carolina
    13 years ago

Mutablis would work. Mine grows on the North wall of my house, gets VERY LITTLE direct sunlight, if any. It primarily gets reflected light of the neighbors house. Mine is tall but not too wide, only about 3 feet wide with no pruning.

Not the best pic...but you can see the Western sun only hitting the rose at the top of the privacy fence. This would be the only direct sunlight it gets all day.

{{gwi:237098}}

• poodlepup
    13 years ago

Ballerina-it's not too flashy, but thrives and blooms nonstop in full shade

• meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation
    13 years ago

Lavender Dream does really, really well with very little sun. I found that out by accident ;)

She does seem to sprawl at first, but as she gets older she's more of a fountain shape. She doesn't get enormous (I don't think), but she's a nice sized shrub. You can definitely trim her up. She has no problems blooming, that's for sure :)

• melissa_thefarm
    13 years ago

In zone 8 I'll give my vote for a Hybrid Musk: mine almost all do better in part shade than they do in full sun (our full sun is very full). But they do get wide. Would some sort of espaliering work? Many Hybrid Musks have flexible canes.
    Melissa

Original Author
    13 years ago

I will be going to Chamblees on Friday and will check out their musks. I have a potted Crepuscule that I was going to put elsewhere but would it work there? I have several in full sun, they sprawl and are always in bloom. Are the Noisettes shade tolerant? Chamblees has a good selection of Musks. They do have the Earthkinds [Spice, Caldwell Pink] and Rev d'Or. Yes, the espaliering would definitely work, and actually I would like that so they could spill over the fence - passersby could enjoy them and so could I on my side of the fence. I really like this idea! Which do you think would be the best for this?

• melissa_thefarm
    13 years ago

'Cornelia' and 'Moonlight' have flexible canes. So does 'Crepuscule', but I don't how she does in shade, nor how big she'll get for you...mine is quite large. Others with flexible canes are 'Buff Beauty' and 'Francesca': many of the Hybrid Musks have a kind of pocket rambler character. And of course they're fragrant and beautiful.
    Melissa
    P.S. Not to confuse your ideas, of course, but the word 'rambler' reminded me of that fine rose 'Alberic Barbier', with flexible canes and lovely flowers and foliage, excellent for a low fence, and very handsome in part shade. 'Alberic Barbier' has scattered blooms after the first big flowering, but in a long warm fall and when well fed and watered I've seen it have a profuse fall flush.

• aimeekitty
    13 years ago

I'll agree with what others have said and also put in a vote for Lavender Lassie, Felicia, The Prince, Lyda Rose, Penelope, The Faun. Not sure if they'll fit your situation, though... but they seem to do "ok" in not really really shady places.

though, I must say that my MAC is doing pretty well in the not-ideal light area of my front porch, but you did say you didn't want something HUGE and MAC is huge by all reports.

Original Author
    13 years ago

I had Lavender Lassie years ago at another home - I seem to recall that it bloomed only once. Is this the case? Am now wondering if it would be best to have climbers that I could let go up the fence and spill over, thereby getting more sun. Chamblees has Penelope.....always wanted to try that one. Clair Matin is growing well just where she gets out of range of the oak trees - though admitedly doesnt bloom as well as the one I have in full sun. Are the Noisettes shade tolerant? I love Rev d'Or and Jaune Desprez growing in full sun.....Chamblees has those.

• barbarag_happy
    13 years ago

The HM Lavender Dream is a lovely symmetrical shrub, great repeat-- my young plant is about 5 feet wide. There aren't many hybrid musks that will keep their leaves throughout the season here with our heat and humidity. I plunked this in the middle of my shadiest section & it's doing great.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    13 years ago

I also have Lavender Dream and love it, although mine is in pretty full sun. Since Barbara's does well in the shade I'd really consider it since it's beautiful, blooms a lot and for me has been completely free of disease.

Ingrid

• jacqueline9CA
    13 years ago

I have MAC in three places in my garden. In all of them it is in partial shade. In all cases it climbs - the highest it has gotten is about 25 feet up a plum tree, then it cascades down. It would be easy to keep it smaller if it was growing on a fence. Blooms here 10-12 months of the year. Last year it stopped in Dec, but started up again in Jan, and I expect it to keep blooming now until next Winter.

jackie