Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
strange growth on La Reine?

Posted by aimeekitty 9-10, SW 18 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 16, 12 at 13:21

Hey folks! I noticed these strange "buds?" on La Reine this morning. I'd never seen something like it before, any ideas what it is? Should I clip them off or be worried?

The bush otherwise looks very happy, new leaves, new flower buds, a few bright red hips.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: strange growth on La Reine?

That's normal Aimee. Wait for the sun and heat to allow them to develop further. You see that type of petal tissue on many roses. They're just immature petals which haven't fully "ripened". Kim

o

Mine did the exact same thing. Glad to know it's nothing horrible. Our temperature did drop for a few days.

o

NOTTA PROBLEM!
Weird weather. :-)

Jeri

o

I see that on roses from time to time. It does not indicate any kind of serious problem.

o

Yay thanks you guys, it has been weird hot then cold weather lately...

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 18, 12 at 17:28

I've been trying to dig up 'La Reine' for years. It keeps coming back. This winter I tried really hard to get all the roots, and now...'La Reine' is re-sprouting with enthusiasm yet again. Do not worry about the health of this rose (just the health of the foliage).

o

haha, thanks hoovb.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here