Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Secret Garden Musk Climber in my Garden

newyorkrita
16 years ago

Last spring I put in a Secret Garden Musk Climber I bought from Roses Unlimited. Everything I read caused me to decide that this rose might not be hardy here on the north shore of nassau county, long island. But I just had to have it. I figgured I would plant it here in a good spot on an east facing wall of my house. I figgured that at least it would come back from the roots worse case. It of course grew and did well over the summer.

Great news, not only did it survive the winter but no cane damage either as I see leaf buds starting up all the way up on the canes. I would like to train it up the wall some and then have it trail over the little roof thingy over my kitchen door.

Comments (16)

• jerijen
    16 years ago

Rita, you must have just the right spot for her.
    I think you will enjoy her fragrance as much as I do.

It grows outside my kitchen window, which makes dish-washing much more pleasurable.
    I love her so much, we planted another, so I can now see it at the other end of the house, from the dining room table.

Jeri

• jerijen
    16 years ago

Ha Ha Bill! I had almost the same reaction to her!

I went home and called John Walden up at J&P, knowing he liked Singles as much as I did, and said: "There's this Climber you gotta see . . ."

The Sacramento City Cemetery will have some SGMC for sale at the Open Garden, April 12.

Jeri

• barbarag_happy
    16 years ago

Rita, so glad SGMC over-wintered for you. Mine is also from RU and seems to be quite a slow-starter-- but then, based on reports I "decided" it could handle a bit of shade & root competition. I have heard it's a bit of a slow starter; most of my new roses jumped right up to 5 ft. last year but SGMC and Darlow's Enigma are both around 30". I assume they're busy growing huge root systems before they get busy and COVER MY FENCE! Good luck with your SGMC and all your roses..

• ronda_in_carolina
    16 years ago

Goodness I was told by Pat at RU that this rose was a must have....but I didn't buy it then. Now.....

What is the thorn count? How often is rebloom?

CLoves?!!?? My favorite!!

Ronda

• jerijen
    16 years ago

Ronda, to me, honey and cloves.

SGMC is a continuous-blooming climber IN MY SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA CLIMATE.
    I can't tell you about blackspot, because that's not a factor here.
    In some conditions, it can have a touch of mildew, but I don't get it here.
    It DOES have prickles. Sort of an average number of them, but they do manage to snag my skirts from time to time.
    To me, the scent is cloves and honey, but I guess it is, basically, MUSK.
    It is as tho R. moschata sported to produce a big, vigorous, continuous-blooming climber.

I'm so glad this unique and beautiful rose is getting around. Mel Hulse would be so pleased.

Jeri

Here is a link that might be useful:

• debnfla8b
    16 years ago

Well, I'm sitting here thanking the Lord above I have this rose...LOL I finally decided it was big enough to set out in the yard with the "big boys". It is growing like a weed...just the prettiest little thing. I can not wait for it to grow big...I think perhaps this one will be a really big shrub. I have it in an area that it can just do what it wants to do. I am trying to root some cuttings and if they take I'll set them out near trees.

I agree, the scent is addicting...just love that clove scent.

Deb

• hotpotatoe
    16 years ago

Is secret garden musk white? And how big does she get? Can you post a picture? I love smelly roses.......

• patricianat
    16 years ago

Barbara, it has been a slow starter for me, but it has gotten there. I think I have had it about 5 years.

• jerijen
    16 years ago

Debn -- It's not a shrub here.
    It is an exceptionally vigorous CLIMBER.

Here, it covers a good-sized arbor, and two side trellises, set as "wings."

{{gwi:237582}}

I don't think it would reach that size in N.Y., but in Florida I think it probably would.

Jeri

• debnfla8b
    16 years ago

Then, I'll put a fence piece behind it to stretch out on!!! I am so going to love this rose. Thanks Jeri for the heads up!

Deb :o)))

• jerijen
    16 years ago

-- G-- Just wanted to warn you.
    I didn't like to think of anyone being attacked by an expanding rose.
    Sort of like "THE BLOB."

Jeri

• rjlinva
    16 years ago

Patricia,

I'm so glad to hear that your SGMC was a slow starter. Mine is taking its time to get going. I've got it protected from brutal sun at the heat of the day. It's on an entrance arch to my main rose bed. I'm trying to create my own secret garden here. The smell is definitely intoxicating.

Robert

• jerijen
    16 years ago

Yeah Robert -- It does. It takes a good three years, maybe more. But once it really hits its stride, it never looks back.

Sounds like you're doing something like I did with it, and that works well for us. You might consider side "wings" of trellises, flaning the archway, to give it room for expansion. I'm really glad we did that.

Jeri

• sleepydrj
    15 years ago

YIKES!
    Three years to hit its stride? My tiny plant that arrived by mail order last spring just grew and grew after it hit the soil. By summer's end, it stopped so much focus on growth, and started putting out the occasional bloom. Now it is eating my little rose fence along my lawn, and invading the territory of the rose next door (7 feet away). Of course this is just what I wanted. But in addition to even more new canes, the thing has an uncountable number of buds on it!. I fully expect it could eat my whole city. And all this two years before it hits its stride?

Can't wait!

• friedabyler
    12 years ago

Wow, I'm determined to grow this rose; sounds wonderful! Can anyone tell me whether the roses last very long when cut? [I love to bring fragrant blooms into the house!] ......and is it shade tolerant? Thanks!